Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

bin Laden: Mission Accomplished!!!

Ten years ago today Osama bin Laden said he wanted to see the price of oil at $144 per bll. This week bin Laden accomplished his goal.

As McCain offers the same Bush brag that since 9/11 there hasn't been a successful terrorist attack on American soil, Republicans fail to consider the most likely possibility is that the extremists choose not to attack when the Republicans are doing such a successful job of terrorizing those Americans they have not fooled.

One month after 9/11, the New York Times wrote of possible “nightmare” scenarios that would deliver bin Laden’s goal. Neela Banerjee warned that among the “misguided decisions” that would put oil supplies at risk would be “that the United States attacks Iraq.” The Times included this quote in its story:

“If bin Laden takes over and becomes king of Saudi Arabia, he’d turn off the tap,” said Roger Diwan, a managing director of the Petroleum Finance Company, a consulting firm in Washington. “He said at one point that he wants oil to be $144 a barrel” — about six times what it sells for now.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/07/05/bin-laden-144-oil/

The hubris of Bush, McCain and their followers seems to know no bounds. This War on Terrorism pits the worlds largest two debtor nations, the USA and England, against the World's largest creditor nations, China, Russia & OPEC. I defy anyone to show me an example from history when the worlds largest creditor nations were defeated by worlds largest debtor nations.
    Last edited by moonman; 07-06-2008 at 02:07 AM. Reason: typo

vCash
    Whos Bin Ladin?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    Whos Bin Ladin?

vCash
    Sad.

vCash
    Whos Bin Ladin?
    Just out of curiosity ... are you being serious?
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sboyajian View Post
    Just out of curiosity ... are you being serious?
    The sad thing is....

He actually is serious....

vCash
    now I know we have some youngin's on this site.. but even so.. I would like to think schools discuss 9/11.. how can you not know who he is at this point.
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

vCash
    I think this also kind of sums up how much the war in iraq actually distracted us from the war on terror .. when someone asks who Bin Ladin is.. you know we got it wrong.

vCash
    Nah, i was joking because he spelled it wrong.

vCash
    Nah, i was joking because he spelled it wrong.
    Thanks, all fixed.

Another goal of bin Laden's strategy IIRC was to suck us into a war in Middle East and that it would bankrupt us just as Afghanistan helped bankrupt the former Soviet Union.

Hard to argue that Bush and McCain aren't playing into enemy strategy. Our dollar has lost over 40% of its value. Our economy is in a deep hole and the Fed's only answer is to keep digging.

vCash
    Sad that nobody noticed he was making fun of a spelling error.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sboyajian View Post
    now I know we have some youngin's on this site.. but even so.. I would like to think schools discuss 9/11.. how can you not know who he is at this point.
    Well, we are trying to ignore the fact that he's still out there. The government's not too proud of that fact.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Sad that nobody noticed he was making fun of a spelling error.
    Transliteration can never have "correct" spelling.

Osama vs. Usama
    Bin Laden vs. Bin Ladin vs. Bin Laddin vs. Bin Ladden

I've seen them all. And it's because the Arabic is written in a different alphabet. You can't just simply assign letters, so instead you assign sounds.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post
    Thanks, all fixed.

Another goal of bin Laden's strategy IIRC was to suck us into a war in Middle East and that it would bankrupt us just as Afghanistan helped bankrupt the former Soviet Union.

Hard to argue that Bush and McCain aren't playing into enemy strategy. Our dollar has lost over 40% of its value. Our economy is in a deep hole and the Fed's only answer is to keep digging.
    The depreciation of the dollar isn't related to the War on Terror or the Iraq War. That's a direct function of increasing US Exports. As soon as we were surpassed (first by China and then by Germany as well) as the largest exporter in the world, we set out to lower the value of the dollar to make our goods cheaper and their goods more expensive.

Of course, as any good economist could have told them (granted they fired all of those and replaced them with yes-men), direct fiscal action often tends to overshoot the problem and cause more unintended negative consequences. That's why fiscal policy is best left either undone, or done in a very limited short-run kind of way (like the economic stimulus package).

vCash
    I've seen them all. And it's because the Arabic is written in a different alphabet. You can't just simply assign letters, so instead you assign sounds
    Ahh. I see. But it's usually spelled "Bin Laden"

I don't think I've ever seen it spelled "Bin Ladin", I've seen "Usama" and "Osama" though, so you make a good point that I overlooked.

I just didn't like people getting on their high horses, over something so trivial. That kind of annoys me. It's like when I see people on TV making fun of a dumb comment some supermodel or Jessica Simpson made on TV. I want to scream at the TV "But you're dumb too lady from Fox and Friends!!!!"

ETA: Yeah....missed the point of the thread. Gotta get back on topic. Yeah....that sucks. But it may be kind of ironic on both sides if you view it this way. Because, Osama's main gripe, is American troops in Arab lands. Mainly, in Saudi Arabia. Bush's actions may have played into Osama's plan. But Osama's actions, caused there to be even more troops on Arab soil. So they each may have shot themselves in the foot.
    Last edited by gcoll; 07-07-2008 at 12:13 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast