Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Report: Nhl Closer To Playing Outdoor Game In Chicago

St. Paul, MN (Sports Network) - The Minneapolis Star Tribune is reporting that the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings will play at Wrigley Field on New Year's Day in the league's second outdoor Winter Classic.

According to the report, the game was finally approved last week when NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman met with the Hawks, Cubs and Mayor Richard Daley.

The NHL has said that an official announcement likely won't be made until closer to the time the 2008-09 season schedule is released, likely in mid-July.

However, the report states that an announcement is expected next week before the inaugural "Blackhawks Convention" at the Chicago Hilton.

Last New Year's Day, Sidney Crosby scored on the final chance of the shootout to lift the Pittsburgh Penguins to a 2-1 victory over the Buffalo Sabres in the first NHL game played outdoors in the United States.

The game was played before an NHL-record crowd of 71,217 at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, New York -- home of the NFL's Buffalo Bills.

done deal (probably)

vCash
    As much as I love Wrigley (Being a diehard cubs fan) and realizing that apparently they couldn't do it at Soldier Field because of Bears games, I do have several concerns with Wrigley.
    # 1 - Seating. They will only be able to fit about 50,000 I am guessing compared to Soldier field fitting about 20,000 more.
    # 2 - Parking. Parking is going to be a wreck. Imagine if it snows, all of those small parking lots run by people who live there is going to be a mess. There is a lot less parking but obviously some better public transportation to Wrigley.
    # 3 - Parking 2 - I would love to get to the game a few hours before hand and tailgate. That is going to be hard to do at Wrigley and you definitely won't have the atmosphere that you would at Soldier Field with the tailgating.
    # 4 - Jumbotron - This is my biggest concern. I hope to god that they somehow put in a Screen Projection/ Jumbotron for this game. Hockey is such a fast paced game that if you miss one second you are pretty far behind. The lack of a Jumbotron at Wrigley gives me great concern.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    As much as I love Wrigley (Being a diehard cubs fan) and realizing that apparently they couldn't do it at Soldier Field because of Bears games, I do have several concerns with Wrigley.
    # 1 - Seating. They will only be able to fit about 50,000 I am guessing compared to Soldier field fitting about 20,000 more.
    # 2 - Parking. Parking is going to be a wreck. Imagine if it snows, all of those small parking lots run by people who live there is going to be a mess. There is a lot less parking but obviously some better public transportation to Wrigley.
    # 3 - Parking 2 - I would love to get to the game a few hours before hand and tailgate. That is going to be hard to do at Wrigley and you definitely won't have the atmosphere that you would at Soldier Field with the tailgating.
    # 4 - Jumbotron - This is my biggest concern. I hope to god that they somehow put in a Screen Projection/ Jumbotron for this game. Hockey is such a fast paced game that if you miss one second you are pretty far behind. The lack of a Jumbotron at Wrigley gives me great concern.
    I agree with the whole tailgating thing but if you say you're a diehard cub fan then I'm assuming you've been to Wrigley.

But if not then just so you know there are T.V's in almost every section for you to watch the action. So you dont need a jumbotron.

vCash
    I am extremely confused as to how you said there are TVs in almost every section to watch the game. I have been to Wrigley at least a hundred times and the only places where there are TVs is by the Concession and Suites. You without a doubt need a jumbotron.

vCash
    Yeah, a Jumbotron would be a necessity but at the same time the whole point of this game is for the viewers at home to see a game played outside at historical wrigley field by two original 6 clubs. Thats all it is. The game will sell out. Theyll never play it at Wrigley again and if they ever do play outside in Chicago, it will be at the Cell or Soldier Field. Im not too worried if I cant see a replay or what not.

As for parking, you are out of your mind to drive. Evryone is going to have to take the L to the game. It drops you off right there. If I can get tickets, Im not worried one bit about the trans. Also, Im sure people will be able to park at the Mccormick place and there will be shuttles from there to the ball park.
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    I agree that it is for the fans at home watching on their TV but what about the 45,000 - 50,000 people that are going to shed out their hard earned cash to watch the game in person. They definitely deserve a jumbotron and I can tell you that I go to about 30 games a year at the UC and without a Jumbotron how will the fans get into the game? A big hit, a huge goal, a good scrap, an amazing save are all shown on the Jumbotron and get the fans more into the game. Sometimes things happen so quickly that you could miss it. And then have to wait till night time to go home and watch it on TV. I will bet that they will have a jumbotron of some sorts as I do see it as a necessity.

Well you can call me crazy then because I am definitely driving to that game! I can't wait to get there nice and early, tailgate and have a few beers with Blackhawks fans. The best part about tailgating? Is that a bunch of Red Wings fans will be there too, so it will definitely be a good atmosphere having rivals parked right next too us. Always good to start a little something up before the games all in good fun of course.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    I agree that it is for the fans at home watching on their TV but what about the 45,000 - 50,000 people that are going to shed out their hard earned cash to watch the game in person. They definitely deserve a jumbotron and I can tell you that I go to about 30 games a year at the UC and without a Jumbotron how will the fans get into the game? A big hit, a huge goal, a good scrap, an amazing save are all shown on the Jumbotron and get the fans more into the game. Sometimes things happen so quickly that you could miss it. And then have to wait till night time to go home and watch it on TV. I will bet that they will have a jumbotron of some sorts as I do see it as a necessity.

Well you can call me crazy then because I am definitely driving to that game! I can't wait to get there nice and early, tailgate and have a few beers with Blackhawks fans. The best part about tailgating? Is that a bunch of Red Wings fans will be there too, so it will definitely be a good atmosphere having rivals parked right next too us. Always good to start a little something up before the games all in good fun of course.
    If they can some how get a portable jumbotron then Im all for it. Im not too sure how much they care about the fans paying to go see the game cause We'll(hopefully i can get tix) have one hell of a time with or with out it. Im not sure how much tailgating you can do around wrigley cause there arent any parking lots unless your talking about the Mccormick place's parking lot.

You are right about the atmosphere tho...its going to be unreal!
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    I'm in agreement with all the above concerns and I have a few more of my own.

Amenities - Wrigley's food is terrible, all the upper deck vendors are set up with no wind protection, and the bathrooms are terrible to use in the summer...let alone the dead of a Chicago winter.

Seating - Wrigley seats 40000 for baseball and probably 2500-5000 more temp seats on the field for the hockey game. Buffalo almost doubled the amount of people at their live game last year. This game is supposed to be the coming out party for our team and our big-time hyped outdoor game is going to under-draw Buffalo by 30000 people? That sucks.

Viewing - I've had a lot of different seats at Wrigley and there are plenty with somewhat obstructed views of the field. You wouldn't have that issue with Soldier Field or The Cell. Not to mention the lack of a real scoreboard or jumbotron.

But I agree with you all that the parking issue is the biggest negative to this game. How fun would it be to tailgate for a few hours before this game? Get a little liquid warmth...

Anyway, my wife and I are already talking about how we're going to handle the game if we're able to score tickets. We'll probably just meet friends in the city for NYE and get a hotel that night. Then we can take some public transportation up there for the game. I'm going to do everything I can to see this game live, but damn I wish this was at a better facility. I would literally trade this game being in Chicago for Notre Dame or the Big House in Michigan, just because it would be more fun and hold a ton more people.