Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Star Valtteri Filppula will stay with Wings

Star Valtteri Filppula will stay with Wings
    Restricted free agent Valtteri Filppula is heading to arbitration, and that's a good thing for fans of the Red Wings.

The NHL Players Association announced that 15 players elected to have salary arbitration, and Filppula, 24, was the only one for the Wings. Filppula could have signed an offer sheet with another NHL club, but that threat has been eliminated by him filing for arbitration. A Vancouver radio station had reported that the Canucks were preparing to send an offer sheet, but that never happened.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said Filppula did what was necessary to protect himself in negotiations, which will continue over the next couple of weeks.

"There are mechanisms in the CBA that protect the player and the club," Holland said. "We now have to determine whether we want a one-year or two-year award. In the meantime, I've talked to Bill Zito, Filppula's agent, a couple times today and yesterday. We're going to continue to talk and, hopefully, we can find a solution. We do know he's going to be under contract by late July or very early August."

Holland said he's had plenty of players file for arbitration but has always found a way to get a deal done and he hopes to do the same with Filppula. Holland said he they were "in the ballpark" on a short-term agreement, but they have also been talking about a long-term deal.

"I'm open to anything if it makes sense," Holland said. "My feeling is I try to take the emotion out of the equation. It's business."

vCash
    Great sign.