New Flame signs deal
It didn't take Rene Bourque long to sign on the dotted line.

The Calgary Flames left-winger, acquired this week from the Chicago Blackhawks for a conditional draft pick, was a restricted free agent who left many wondering if there was more to the trade than met the eye.

Terms weren't disclosed, but the deal is reportedly for two seasons.

His qualifying offer was $945,000. By now most Flames fans know there's the allowance of a second buyout period if a player takes the team to arbitration.

After Rhett Warrener, Marcus Nilson and Anders Eriksson were put on waivers last week, then Bourque was added, many jumped to the conclusion Bourque would be prompted to file for arbitration to give Flames GM Darryl Sutter more options if he can't clear their salaries off the books via trade.

Bourque was quick to tell Sun Media from his hometown of Lac La Biche, Alta., on the evening of his trade that he had no intention of filing.

"I definitely didn't want to go to arbitration with a new team. I wanted to start on the right foot," he said.

"You want to play for an organization that wants you and Darryl and his staff have been great. I can't wait to put that jersey on come September."

Sutter was equally as adamant he had no intention of buying out any of his players.

Of course, if any of the trio are deemed unworthy of a role with the Flames after training camp, Sutter could ship them to the minors, where they'd receive full pay, but the number wouldn't count against the NHL salary cap.

Bourque has been pegged by Sutter as a "top-nine" forward.

He scored 16 goals in 77 games as a rookie with the Blackhawks.