Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Sharks trade Rivet to Sabres

Sabres acquire Rivet from Sharks Phil Coffey | NHL.com Editorial Director Jul 4, 2008, 5:57 PM EDT
    Craig Rivet will help the Sabres replace Dmitri Kalinin, who signed with the Rangers on Thursday. Highlights
    The Buffalo Sabres acquired veteran defenseman Craig Rivet from the wheeling and dealing San Jose Sharks on Friday.

After clearing some room on their blue line by dealing Rivet, the Sharks acquired defensemen Dan Boyle and Brad Lukowich from the Tampa Bay Lightning for defensemen Matt Carle, Ty Wishart and a 2009 first-round draft pick and a 2010 fourth-rounder.

For the 33-year-old Rivet, and a seventh-round selection in the 2010 Entry Draft, the Sabres sent San Jose second-round selections in the 2009 and 2010 Drafts.

Rivet will help the Sabres replace Dmitri Kalinin, who signed with the New York Rangers on Thursday.

“Under the cap system, difficult decisions have to be made and this is one of them,” Sharks GM Doug Wilson said. “Craig is a true professional and we would like to thank him for everything that he has done here.”

In 2007-08, Rivet scored five goals and 30 assists in 74 regular season games. The assists and 35 points were career highs. He also had six assists in 13 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

“We are very excited to add such a quality veteran player to our roster,” Sabres GM Darcy Regier said. “He is a great character player that will provide our club added leadership and experience.”

Rivet was originally selected by the Montreal Canadiens with the 68th pick of the 1992 Entry Draft. Rivet was traded to San Jose on Feb. 25, 2007 along with a fifth-round pick in 2008 in exchange for defenseman Josh Gorges and a 2007 first-round pick.

For his career, Rivet has scored 45 goals and 149 assists in 744 regular-season games.

It marked the second trade of the day for the Sabres, who earlier swapped restricted free agent forward Steve Bernier to the Vancouver Canucks for a pair of draft picks.
    I am glad to see him go. I never liked Rivet and apparently Blake can be a sufficient replacement. Plus giving Rivet away gives us more room to make additional moves

vCash
    At least they got some picks back. Carle and Wishart are going to be good players.
    Pretty much it was Carle, Wishart, and Rivet
    for
    Boye
    with the picks somewhat equalling out since our 1st rounder will most likely be a late pick anyway.

vCash
    It is funny with the cap now that to make a deal, you have to make another deal to make it work.

The sharks had to trade Rivet to keep cap room to get Boyle. the Sharks got a 2nd and 3rd in the next two years.

The Sabers traded Bernier to the Cancucks after getting Rivet and got a 2nd and 3rd over the next two years.

vCash
    I liked Rivet. Good blue collar type player who was a good veteran leader for the defense. I would have thought he'd be worth maybe a bit more than two 2nd round picks, but I trust Wilson and Blake does seem like a similar type of player anyway, although a bit older.
    Last edited by Lincoln Logs; 07-06-2008 at 10:23 PM.

vCash
    Carle sucked. He was a puss who was scared to get physical. Vlasic is the future star and we still got him

vCash
    good deal for sharks.