Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Not really sure that's comparable to what I was talking about.

Let me try it a different way....

A cancer patient, that will die soon. If I murder him, should it be viewed the same as murdering someone who will live a full life? Of course.

That's why I don't see how say....a kick to the stomach of a pregnant woman who will have the baby, is different than a kick to the stomach of a pregnant woman who will not have the baby.

It seems odd that the law would view the exact same crime, differently....based on what will happen to the fetus in the future. Seems kind of crazy actually.
    I see what you mean. So long as the intent is there, it's murder.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    This is all a matter of one group of people trying to force their belief system on others. I dont see it so much as a matter of morals, but rather as a matter of Religion. It is no different than the gay marriage debate and Stem cell research.

I think all of these should be a matter of personal choice. THey should be open and valid options for anyone who feels the need to use them. If youre a member of the religious right then dont use them and stay out of other peoples lives. If your 15 year old daughter gets pregnant(probably because your "abstinence is the only way" thought process didnt clue her into these little things called condoms) then you can force her to have the kid and not allow her to live her life the way she intended to live it. If youre agains gay marriage then dont get married to other people of the same sex and dont worry about it. And if you dont feel comfortable with Stem Cell Research, then dont go running to the doctor looking for a cure when your child has diabetes, or breaks his/her neck, or when you get Alsheimers or ALS, or MS.

Hopefully most people never have to take advantage of these(except gay marriage, I dont really care what gays/lesbians do as long as it doesnt affect me), but it is nice to have the option if something unforseen happens. Frankly, im tired of these people using religion as a reason to affect decisions on public policy. Organized Religiion when used in this manner, is just an excuse to overlook rational thought.

vCash
    So, Prior22, your saying its OK to kill an innocent baby? b/c ppl dont want to have an adaption, we should punish the baby by killing it?

vCash
    A 16 year old girl....has sex. Gets pregnant. Isn't prepared to have a child...that's okay. She can have an abortion.
    I disagree... unless she was raped. I think if you get pregnant that young, she should have an adoption.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
    Lets say a woman is a rape victim and she doesn't want the child.. but the rapist does.. It opens up a whole can of worms..
    whats the probability of that? I dont know about all sates, but in most, a woman can have an abortion w/o approval from the biological father. so no matter what the dad says, she can have an abortion. he has no legal say.

vCash
    If a woman feels comfortable with having an abortion or feels she needs to have one, then she should be able to make that decision for herself and not have it made for her by a rich guy that doesnt know what it is like to be in that situation. If she doesnt have an issue living with that nor the possibility of health complications as a result of the procedure, then she should have every right to do as she pleases. However, if she is under the age of 17 or 18 there should be some form of parental consent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    I disagree... unless she was raped. I think if you get pregnant that young, she should have an adoption.
    Teenagers have one of the highest probabilities of complications during birth. http://www.marchofdimes.com/professi...14332_1159.asp

Especially in an instance of rape, the girl should be allowed to consider an abortion as one of her options.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mziolkow View Post
    If a woman feels comfortable with having an abortion or feels she needs to have one, then she should be able to make that decision for herself and not have it made for her by a rich guy that doesnt know what it is like to be in that situation. If she doesnt have an issue living with that nor the possibility of health complications as a result of the procedure, then she should have every right to do as she pleases. However, if she is under the age of 17 or 18 there should be some form of parental consent.
    The problem I have with consent is that rape victims often are too embarrassed to tell their loved ones (especially in those rare instances when it was the father or uncle or other relative that raped them). Take that case in VT for example.

vCash

I actually know a woman

I actually know a woman who told the father she was on the pill (yes it's his fault for not using protection) and said she would not get an abortion for 100,000 she'd have the baby and give him the rights on birth.

For the record I am pro choice. I don't want the women who are so cavalier about human life to be mothers.

vCash
    I would like the liberals to stop lying about stem cell research. It is only not paid for by the government. Private labs are free to do it but most scientists will tell you that the hope is greatly exaggerated.

On a related note if you ever have a baby save the chord! My nephew is alive because my brother and sister in law did.

vCash
    I'd like liberals to stop lying about embryonic stem cell research and admit its "benefits" (aka pie in the sky unproven junk science told my shaking actors abstaining from medicine to testify before congress) pales in comparison to adult stem cell research.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ft

You really ditto'ing Rush's talking points there, bb?

No need to roll around in the mud, man.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    I'd like liberals to stop lying about embryonic stem cell research and admit its "benefits" (aka pie in the sky unproven junk science told my shaking actors abstaining from medicine to testify before congress) pales in comparison to adult stem cell research.
    Yah if you would actually do some research or know something about the topic at hand, you would know that when Michael J. Fox testified, he was on his medicine, and that the symptoms he showed were partialy due to the side affects of his medications. So before you just listen blindly to the crap that Rush spews, do some research. But then again that would involve taking initiative to gain knowledge, and thats only something a liberal would do.

vCash
    1) The MJ joke was a rude joke lol. Chill.

2) I actually don't listen to talk radio. People who listen to talk radio tend to be on their way to jobs sitting in a car, and as I usually sleep in the mornings and don't listen to talk radio anyway, Rush never gets listened to.

3) Adult stem cell research has helped dozens of diseases and cured people with a lot of diseases. Just a simple google search will help those who would rather fry frozen embryos (sigh, yes Mziolkow, that's also a joke...).

4) And what exactly has embryonic stem cell research, which has been going on for the same amount of time as adult stem cell research, produced? Fjunny Rush rants, yes. But other than that? Zip. Nadda. Zero. Oh sure, Hollywood stars and disingenuous liberals say "vote for this program, it'll cure alzheimers'," but meanwhile Adult stem cell research is already curing diseases.

5) So in conclusion, before you get all high and mighty on me here, actually look at research. Though embryonic research has a ton of magical properties that have so far cured few, adult stem cell research has helped. It's helped tons of people. Private business supports it with donations for research as they do with most things with a future.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    5) So in conclusion, before you get all high and mighty on me here, actually look at research.
    Okay.

Here's a news report from June 25th:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/b...-1m25stem.html

Repairing damage to brain may be nearer

Study gets stem cells to function in mice

SAN DIEGO – A team of San Diego scientists has moved embryonic stem cell research a step closer to helping repair the brains of stroke victims and people with diseases such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

The team, led by the Burnham Institute's Stuart Lipton, figured out how to coax the embryonic stem cells of mice to become nerve cells that, when transplanted into a mouse brain damaged by stroke, link themselves to the existing network of neurons.

The mice showed therapeutic improvement, and none of them developed tumors, which has been a problem associated with the implantation of stem cells, according to the article published today in The Journal of Neuroscience.

Lipton said that since submitting the article several months ago, his team has been able to achieve the same result with human embryonic stem cells implanted in mice.

Conditions such as stroke, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Huntington's disease destroy brain cells, causing speech and memory loss and other debilitating consequences. In theory, transplanting neuronal brain cells could restore at least some brain function, just as heart transplants restore blood flow.

“This is a step in the right direction for producing specific nerve cells for cell replacement therapy,” said Arnold Kriegstein, head of the stem cell program at the University of California San Francisco.

Embryonic stem cells, present just days after fertilization, ultimately evolve into the more than 200 different cell types in the body. It is this morphing power of the cells that many people hope may one day be harnessed to create cures for some of society's worst diseases.
    And I'm not "all high and mighty".

It's just that your jokes don't tend to come across as jokes when you mix what you consider to be humorous inflammatory rhetoric in with serious statements of inflammatory rhetoric. It all tends to blur together, and what's intended as funny and what's intended as serious are practically indistinguishable much of the time.

But that one - making fun of someone with Parkinson's (celebrity or otherwise) - wouldn't be funny regardless of how it was intended anyways.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast