Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    No. I am not saying I don't like Barker or I don't think he will be a good player. But with the great end of the season he had, he is, by far, our best bargaining chip fora trade. I just am really high on Hendry. I think, next to Keith, he was our best defensive defenseman last year(and yes that includes Seabrook). They signed him to an extension this year for a reason. He is going to be a part of the Hawks near future....all other 5 defenseman are signed or will be signed to long term deals. So, you gotta make a choice on the 6th and my choice would be Hendry, because:

A. He is better defensively.

B. Barker would command more on the open market.

The main thing about Barker coming up was he was a good offensive defenseman who could quarterback the PP.....well we got a guy to do that for the next 8 years.

vCash
    I understand that we have alot of players that can play center .... but they arent... Sharp is basically a winger now .... Lang will be gone next season... if he isnt traded sooner, and i cant see Bolland stepping up. Brendan Morrison has pretty much been an 82 game player a season (not last year), and i think he and Sharp would play great together

vCash
    Sharp is only a winger because that is what we have needed the last few years. We do not need another Center. Not to mention, Sharp is one of the best two way forwards in the league and that is why he makes a great center. If the blackhawks signed Morrison they would have to pay more over the cap and pay too much for him. No need for him or Marleau. Morrison has been on a decline over the last few years points wise so no need for another guy like that not to mention he just rejected a 1 year deal for 1.9million from the Canucks and he definitely isnt worth more than that.

vCash
    Bertuzzi - Thank God we didn't get him. He's a PR nightmare for a team that has recently built up a lot of good will with fans and media in Chicago. Plus, he's past his prime and is another $2MM against the cap. Lets also remember that we drafted a guy in the 1st round this year who seems to be a much younger and potentially more offensively skilled Todd Bertuzzi in Kyle Beach. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him making the squad this year and he'd provide the same effect as TB without the negatives attached.

Bulin to LA - The guys at "Inside the Kings" have been talking a lot to Dean Lombardi (Kings GM) and they don't think a deal is likely. We also would not be getting back any decent prospects or picks from LA if they took Bulin off our hands. More accurately, we'd be giving up high picks or prospects with Bulin in return for lower level players just so the Kings could help us out by getting us room under the cap.

Barker - He was dangled several times by Tallon, but probably won't be moved. With Wiz out for a spell, Zyuzin gone, and no depth beyond Hjalmarsson and Hendry, he's holding on to Barker.

Burish - Is Burish really our "tough guy" with a healthy Ben Eager around? He led the league in 06/07 in PIMs and he's 6'3" 225 lbs. Burish is our middleweight and Eager our heavyweight.

vCash
    In terms of Bertuzzi...I don't know how you can say that Kyle Beach is more offensively skilled than Bertuzzi. Have you ever looked at the numbers that he put up in his prime (25+ goals for 4 straight seasons)...and he did put up 40 pts last year, and lets say Kyle Beach gets the chance to play next year and he puts up that many numbers...i'll crap myself cuz thats pretty damn stellar.

Bulin to L.A. - I think the thing that gets lost in translation is not only would the Kings be helping us but we would be helping them by getting over the Cap minimum, this is very important to remember.

Barker - I agree that as of right now he will not get traded because we are not very deep in NHL ready defenseman, even though we did pick up Matt Walker. I personally do not think that Hjalmarsson is ready for the NHL.

Burish - I agree with you that burish is our middleweight and eager our heavyweight. Problem with Eager being our heavyweight is that he isnt much of a heavyweight. Burish is a guy who is supposed to create energy and he does that by hitting, fighting, gettin in guys faces, standin up for teammates and workin his butt off in the corners.
    Last edited by Boom!; 07-08-2008 at 02:20 PM.

vCash
    Ben Eager should be put on an island very far away....never to return again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GA Hill's Afro View Post
    Ben Eager should be put on an island very far away....never to return again.
    Thank God Koci signed with Tampa!!!

But I think Eager will be ok whenever the hawks need him, ie when Burish gets suspended. Eager will be a healthy scratch most of the season if he stays with the hawks
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    I don't know how you can say that Kyle Beach is more offensively skilled than Bertuzzi. Have you ever looked at the numbers that he put up in his prime (25+ goals for 4 straight seasons)

You just answered your own question there, BOOM!

Bertuzzi in his prime was the preeminent power forward in the NHL, but he's nowhere near his prime anymore and is too slow to compete in the quicker NHL nowadays. I apologize if I made it seem like I thought Beach was going to put up massive numbers in year 1. I just think that he's got a hell of a lot more upside than Bertuzzi does.

If we were talking about Ryan Malone coming in...that would be a different story, but Bertuzzi is not a fit for this team and Beach tracks to be just as good as Bertuzzi through his career.

NHL Central Scouting's Blair MacDonald
    Strengths: "Kyle Beach is one of the top forwards in this year's draft and is probably the most competitive – from the blue line in there is no one that competes like him. He's feisty, he's got a reputation for being physical and agitating a little bit, but he definitely ranks in there as a power forward and is the power forward in this year's draft. He has good scoring skills and a very accurate shot, and from the blue line in, once he gets the puck, he almost owns it."

And lets remember that plenty of people didn't even think Kane would make the team out of camp, but he was rookie of the year. The ceiling isn't that high for Beach, but he slid big time to the Blackhawks (rumors on draft day had him at 7 to Toronto or 10 to Vancouver) and most think he was the 2nd best forward available after Stamkos. So, making the team and scoring 20-30 points probably would be pretty reasonable.

vCash
    Bertuzzi has played in 793 games in his career and has gotten 580 pts. If Beach plays in 800 games in his NHL Career I honestly cannot see him getting anywhere close to 580 pts. I just don't see it happening.
    I am not arguing that Beach is going to be bad or anything, I think he is a good power forward he can put up 40 pts a year and thats all I would expect of him. Nothing more. I just do not see Beach as being as good as Bertuzzi over his career. Remember, Bertuzzi was a FORCE in the NHL for several years, and the last two he has dropped off (1 because of injuries) and last year he got 40 pts...not bad for a guy on the decline of his career.

vCash
    Cubsbears1225, I am just curious as to who you see on the fourth line if Eager is a scratch. He has some surprising skill for a fourth liner but can still bang some guys up, i really like him.
    I have Craig Adams/Burish/Eager on the fourth line this year and I don't see someone else who can step into that role that we have. Unless of course you think the Blackhawks will be resigning Kevyn Adams. Let me know what you think, thanks

vCash
    I think the Hawks will be resigning Kevyn Adams after reading an article a week or two about him wanting to return to the Hawks. I do see Eager with the team but I just cant see him getting a lot of playing time. I think Savard is going to split a lot of time between K. Adams and Eager. Its hard to say. Tallon may pull a trade off and bring in another goon who will fit well on that 4th line.
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    Yeah...remember that Ben Eager is still a former first round draft pick. I don't see Kevyn Adams back, but there's always the possibility of Jason Williams back here. I think that's still doubtful that Williams comes back, but if he's willing to take a bit of a pay cut then he's worth it to help some on the power play.

vCash
    yes, that is one thing ive wanted to see... Jason Williams coming back. Other than the injuries last season, he had a great one. If he wasnt hurt for so long I believe we could have made the playoffs because of him. I sure hope he can take the pay cut and stay with us. Than i think we would have 3 good solid top lines.

vCash
    dang, my days at med school are way too long. i'm missing all of this hooting and hollering! so now i'm going to jump in...

i dont see eager playing much with the team this year. it would be nice if he could live up to his 1st round abilities and be a productive player, but i'm just not sure that will happen. I dont see adams coming back either.

i would love to have williams come back and play on that 4th line, but i think he is worth more than we can pay him. i would like to get rid of bulin so we can be able to pay williams some money at least.

But truly, i would prefer to have a 4th line of two young guys that can play with burish and learn from him. there is no better player in hockey to model yourself after than adam burish. he is a leader and a true scrapper. i would love to have skille and aliu play with him just to learn first hand how the game is played. plus, skille and aliu are much more skilled than either eager or adams by far.

an the beach vs. bertuzzi topic... bertuzzi's style of play was more geared toward the old style of hockey. with the new rules and the speed of the game, bertuzzi doesnt stack up. i think beach will be a force in this league, and his scoring output will be dependent on his linemates. if he can play alongside kane/toews, then he will score a bunch. Although, now that i look at it, we have a very young and very skilled group of guys, and all 12 of them can put it in the net. so either playing with the top line, or some other guys like sharp, buff, bolland... or even younger guys in the future of skille, aliu, brouwer, i think he will be able to score with no matter who is out there with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12