Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Return to Glory

vCash

Return to Glory

There was a time when the Braves were known as the most dominant team in the National League. Between 1991 and 2005 the Braves won 14 straight division titles. This streak was not fully appreciated at the time, and it was taken for granted that the Braves would always be in the playoffs.

Between 2006 and 2011 the Braves were always good enough to be a competitive team, but not good enough to win the division. That looks to change in 2012, as the Braves once again look like the best team in the National League.

Atlanta is 50-44 on the season, and holds a 5.5 game lead over the surprisingly good Washington Nationals. Atlanta is back to their winning ways with a mix of timely hitting and quality pitching. The Braves rank 9th in the majors in runs scored - and the most surprising contributor to the offense is Joel Guzman. Guzman has a team leading 895 OPS, is protecting slugger Mark Teixeira, all while providing solid defense at shortstop. 'Tex' has also been an important cog in the lineup, batting 274 with 18 HR (which leads the team and ties him for 6th in the NL) and has driven in 57 'ribbies'. Brian McCann and Brent Lillibridge represented the Braves offense in the All Star game.

During their run in the 90's the Braves were led by Hall Of Famer's Maddux, Glavine & Smoltz. Greinke, Francis, and Pineiro won't strike as much fear as the "Big 3" did, but they're doing their best imitation to uphold the tradition of great pitching. Greinke is 8-6 with a 3.61 ERA; Jeff Francis is having a Cy Young type season with 8 wins and 3 losses and a Madduxesque 2.55 ERA, while Pineiro is 11-5 with a 3.55 ERA.

It's only fitting that the last member of the Braves dynasty, Chipper Jones, will play out what many think will be his last year on a championship team. Jones is no longer the cornerstone of the Braves, but rather a veteran leader with a wealth of playoff experience, which should help the Braves in October.

Look out National League - the Braves are back.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Good article. I enjoyed the read.

vCash
    Nice article

vCash
    Nice.

vCash
    I liked it Thanks a lot! ,,, I may owe a lot of Credit to Po and his fried fish
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

vCash
    Well they're 50-40, and have the 5th best record in the NL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyRocks77 View Post
    I liked it Thanks a lot! ,,, I may owe a lot of Credit to Po and his fried fish
    No credit for the assistant GM BMD
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    No credit for the assistant GM BMD
    True True... I may still have Heyward and No Greinke or Jennings (Workhorse ) and a few others and Jp, Po,Armin, and Even Twitch had helped me learn more about this game thanks guys
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyRocks77 View Post
    True True... I may still have Heyward and No Greinke or Jennings (Workhorse ) and a few others and Jp, Po,Armin, and Even Twitch had helped me learn more about this game thanks guys
    I remember the Heyward negotations, you thought armin would rape you, so I just negotated for you, and said here's a good deal except. Oh armin and his raping reputation.
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    No Armins deal was DP and Andrew Clark for Jennings... man I'm glad that Clark didn't reach his tallents and the DP was Jose Palomo i think? and man I might have been the one who Raped Armin... with JP putting the KY on ... nah I'm playing Armin... now I wonder what all the Reds got from Heyward.. i think he was traded to Houston>Boston>KC> and now Tampa