Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Romney emerges as top pick for McCain VP

Romney Seen as a Top Pick for McCain
    By Mike Allen,
    Politico.com
    Posted: 2008-06-30 20:15:00
    Filed Under: Elections News, John McCain

(June 30) -- Surprising many Republican insiders, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is at the top of the vice presidential prospect list for John McCain. But lack of personal chemistry could derail the pick.

“Romney as favorite” is the hot buzz in Republican circles, and top party advisers said the case is compelling.

Campaign insiders say McCain plans to name his running mate very shortly after Barack Obama does, as part of what one campaign planner called a “bounce-mitigation strategy.”

The Democratic convention is in late August, a week ahead of the Republican convention. That means McCain can size up the opposing ticket before locking in his own.

The McCain campaign declined to comment, saying McCain has made it clear they are not to discuss the matter.

One of the chief reasons the Massachusetts governor is looking so attractive is his ability to raise huge amounts of money quickly through his former business partners and from fellow members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the Mormons.

McCain sources tell Politico that they believe Romney could raise $50 million in 60 days. One close Romney adviser said it could even be $60 million.

Romney’s other advantages, according to people involved in McCain’s screening process:

— Squeaky-clean and fully vetted by the national media.

— Has presidential looks and bearing and immediately would be a strong campaigner who could be trusted to stay on message.

— Family’s Michigan roots would help in a swing state that went Democratic in 2004.

But there’s one big problem: Despite the buddy-picture choreography of a McCain-Romney campaign swing, McCain remains less than enamored with Romney.

And it’s not just the candidate. Some of McCain’s closest confidants evince little enthusiasm for Romney, feelings that are owed in part to lingering bad blood from the GOP primary, a genuine skepticism that such a conventional pick could bolster the ticket in a grim year for the GOP and concerns about whether his Mormon faith could imperil McCain in Southern states that Obama hopes to put into play.

McCain sources also say he’ll pick his vice presidential candidate based more on ability to govern than ability to help in the election.

So two other names are in the top tier:

— Rob Portman, a former congressman from Ohio, member of House leadership, U.S. Trade Ambassador and White House budget director.

— Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), who would delight conservatives and is at the top of the list of the party’s prospects for the presidential race in 2012 or 2016. He was described to Politico by a McCain confidant as a possible “compromise” if the senator can’t stomach picking Romney.

Then there’s a second tier of candidates who are less likely, but possible: former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge, who dropped out of the top tier because of recent revelations about his lobbying; Florida Gov. Charlie Crist; Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty; and Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.), who is one of McCain’s most energetic and successful fundraisers.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is frequently included in veep news stories but was not mentioned by McCain insiders. Their view is that his youth would accentuate, not mitigate, the age issue.

Especially if McCain is far behind later this summer, he could do something truly unorthodox like pick his strong supporter Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.), who was the Democrats’ vice presidential candidate back in 2000.

Party leaders don’t expect that. But McCain remains, after all, a maverick.

Politico’s Jonathan Martin contributed to this story.

2008-06-30 13:10:22
    http://news.aol.com/elections/story/...30130809990001

Surprising to me. Won't help him a whole lot in the south, won't help him with women, and won't help him with blacks.

vCash
    but it will help him collect nerd votes?

vCash
    Well he had my vote before. I dont think it's a good idea for either--Romney should focus on 2012, and McCain should pick a VP who'll draw in other demographics.

I like Jindal a lot. Thune seems interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigleyboy25 View Post

Surprising to me. Won't help him a whole lot in the south, won't help him with women, and won't help him with blacks.
    And therefore won't help him with the election either. That's why I think this is pipe. McCain's going to surprise a lot of people by taking someone like Palin.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
    Well he had my vote before. I dont think it's a good idea for either--Romney should focus on 2012, and McCain should pick a VP who'll draw in other demographics.

I like Jindal a lot. Thune seems interesting.
    Bingo. A loss this year isn't going to help Romney at all. He's better off sitting this one out.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    I don't think Romney is a good choice.

vCash

it'll get him the conservative vote

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    it'll get him the conservative vote
    This is one of the most pointless posts I've ever read. Are you serious?

vCash

LIke McCain is really expecting to get any of the black vote...

vCash
    So we're picking a VP because:

1. He can help raise money
    2. He looks like he can be trusted
    3. He helps win a swing state

I think I'm missing the part where he is a good choice to have as second in command of our country. Do we not pick people anymore who would benefit the country but would help the campaign?
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
    This is one of the most pointless posts I've ever read. Are you serious?
    It's not stupid at all.

McCain isn't a conservative. He's more conservative than Obama, sure, but what does that say?

Romney's an actual conservative and I'd be a lot more inclined to vote for McCain as such.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sboyajian View Post
    So we're picking a VP because:

1. He can help raise money
    2. He looks like he can be trusted
    3. He helps win a swing state

I think I'm missing the part where he is a good choice to have as second in command of our country. Do we not pick people anymore who would benefit the country but would help the campaign?
    I agree 100%. Its a shame, but its politics. If Obama picks Hilary, its mainly because all of the Clinton supporters are definite Obama voters. Although, I wouldn't mind her second command, she would probably assassinate Obama herself just to be President. She wants the job so bad, its not even funny.

I am surprised that Romney is leading the race. I was not expecting him.

vCash
    It's not stupid at all.

McCain isn't a conservative. He's more conservative than Obama, sure, but what does that say?

Romney's an actual conservative and I'd be a lot more inclined to vote for McCain as such.
    agreed
    YES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AsfanSince99 View Post
    LIke McCain is really expecting to get any of the black vote...
    Mike Huckabee got 46% of the black vote in Arkansas in his last run for Governor. That is a remarkable stat! He say's that he got such a high % (for a republican that is) because he asked for it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yaowowrocket11 View Post
    I agree 100%. Its a shame, but its politics. If Obama picks Hilary, its mainly because all of the Clinton supporters are definite Obama voters. Although, I wouldn't mind her second command, she would probably assassinate Obama herself just to be President. She wants the job so bad, its not even funny.

I am surprised that Romney is leading the race. I was not expecting him.
    Romney, has in recent weeks, emerged as the way to go for McCain. He's (Romney) looked good on TV interviews defending McCain policies and the GOP. He would also balance the ticket as McCain is not well recieved by Conservatives and Evangelicals and Romney would help add those groups to more strenulously support McCain. Also, romney helps swing some Western states (ie Mormon voters) more strongly into the McCain camp. This helps battle the Obama "50 state" strategy, as he would have to pour more resources into those states than he already plans to. Romney also helps on the domestic issues fronts and provides the executive experience. I believe both candidates will have to pick Govenors to help balance thier respective tickets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast