Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Red Wings re-sign Helm to 4 year deal

The Detroit Red Wings have locked up forward Darren Helm for the next four years, securing the services of their fastest forward.

The deal is worth $8.5 million, or $2.125 million per season against the cap.

"It's definitely nice that they see me as a player that deserves that," Helm told the Free Press. "I'm very happy with this. It's nice to know where I'm going to be the next four years."

Helm, 25, was a pending restricted free agent, and there never was doubt that the Wings would keep him. Over the past three seasons, he has become a key part of the penalty killing. At even strength, he brings speed and tenacious forechecking. Coach Mike Babcock decried the decreased functionality of the entire bottom six group of forwards after Helm was lost to a knee injury in mid-March and again after he was lost in Game 1 of the playoffs because of a cut to his forearm.

In addition to his staunch play in his own zone, Helm has shown himself capable of contributing offensively, topping 10 goals in two of the past three seasons, and reaching nine goals in 68 games this past season.

His signing brings the Wings to 12 forwards under contract for 2012-13, but that doesn't mean much at the moment. They will pursue adding a top-end forward -- such as Zach Parise -- on July 1, and may well end up deciding Cory Emmerton and Jan Mursak don't fit into the future in Detroit.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012061...ws|text|Sports

vCash
    Little more $ than I expected but only by a little. To have him for another 4 years is just great.

vCash
    I like the deal. He's a key part of our team imo. The last part mentions us parting ways with Emmerton and Mursak which I wouldn't mind at all. I'd much rather see Nyquist and Tatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

EDIT: do not use tinder to tear up minors, you will go to jail.

vCash
    I don't have a problem with this cap hit at all.

vCash
    I enjoy that cap hit. He's worth it. Some nights, it seems like only he and Pavs are the only ones that show up on the front end.

vCash
    I dont have a problem with it, I guess I just didnt expect it to be that high. I always forget that the cap keeps increasing so pay will too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    I dont have a problem with it, I guess I just didnt expect it to be that high. I always forget that the cap keeps increasing so pay will too.
    Yeah it makes it really hard to judge what players should get. 2 million isn't that much anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

EDIT: do not use tinder to tear up minors, you will go to jail.

vCash
    Good to have him back. He always provides a much needed spark and speed.

vCash
    speed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    speed

Most definetly. Is nice to know that we got one of the fastest in the league and he filled Drapes role so well. It's also great to actually hear good news about the wings for a change
    Last edited by westhockeytown; 06-20-2012 at 12:54 AM.

vCash
    Great sign, one of the best in the league on the PK and always gives it 100 % every night. Don't mind this at all now lets go get Suter

vCash
    Glad they resigned Helm. He is good role player, but he got more money than I thought he would. I guess that is what happens when you praise a player right before negotiations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Glad they resigned Helm. He is good role player, but he got more money than I thought he would. I guess that is what happens when you praise a player right before negotiations.
    A guy with speed and PK ability is pretty invaluable, how do you put price tag on it? Is he a huge offensive threat? Nope. He usually blows the breakaways/oddman rushes he creates. But at least he's creating them and he can shift the momentum of a game with a quick steal at the bueline. No one else gets the amount of breakaway chances he get, besides Bert and his insufferable cherry picking. He's got 4 more years to work on finishing and to me that speaks volumes to how much the Wings want to keep him around. Very underrated signing and he really does deserve it. It really chaffes my *** that a lazy, streaky guy like Mule makes about the same in one year as what a guy who truly works his butt off game in game out makes in 4.
    Last edited by westhockeytown; 06-20-2012 at 02:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westhockeytown View Post
    A guy with speed and PK ability is pretty invaluable, how do you put price tag on it? Is he a huge offensive threat? Nope. He usually blows the breakaways/oddman rushes he creates. But at least he's creating them and he can shift the momentum of a game with a quick steal at the bueline. No one else gets the amount of breakaway chances he get, besides Bert and his insufferable cherry picking. He's got 4 more years to work on finishing and to me that speaks volumes to how much the Wings want to keep him around. Very underrated signing and he really does deserve it. It really chaffes my *** that a lazy, streaky guy like Mule makes about the same in one year as what a guy who truly works his butt off game in game out makes in 4.
    Couldn't have said it better!