Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which FA woulf you rather have?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • MARIAN HOSSA

6 40.00%
  • BRIAN CAMPBELL

9 60.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Blackhawks To Pursue Marian Hossa & Brian Campbell

The Chicago Blackhawks could be one of the busiest teams once July 1 rolls around, as they are expected to pursue both Marian Hossa and Brian Campbell.

With plenty of cap space and the desire to bolster their roster, the Blackhawks will pitch long-term offers to both Hossa and Campbell as soon as they are able to do so.

"Chicago has a good shot at both guys, if they aren't re-signed with their respective teams," a league executive told TFP this weekend.

On Friday night, Hossa rejected a long-term proposal made by the Pittsburgh Penguins and his agent, Ritch Winter, notified the team that his client will test the open market.

According to a source, Hossa would be interested in playing for the Blackhawks if they presented him with "the right deal."
    Campbell, on the other hand, is interested in re-signing with the Sharks, but if the two sides cannot agree to terms on a new contract, he will weigh his options and listen to what other teams have to offer.

The Blackhawks have approximately $44 million committed to next season's payroll. With the salary cap expected to climb over the $55 million mark, Chicago might only have enough room for one of these two stars.

Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon's top priority this summer is obtaining a puck-moving defenseman. If Campbell no longer becomes an option, the Hawks will turn their attention to New York Rangers blueliner Michal Rozsival and Montreal Canadiens blueliner Mark Streit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://thefourthperiod.com/news/chi080623.html

vCash
    I really would not be surprised to see one of them locked up here before the 4th of July. I think they both would be an excellent additions. If we want both Khabby's contract is a must drop. But by that time one may have been wooed away. If we lose out on Campbell I would be intregued to see Streit here out of the 2 he seems to be the better fit. Both guys would be great. I would have to say a team with that likes of Brian Campbell, Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, and some other young talent it's safe to say the Hawks could be looking to take the division as well as the cup. If Khabibulin's deal is out that would be a huge plus for the team. Not only do they have a shot at both guys, but now they get to see what Crawford can do. It's exciting to see marquee names being linked to the Hawks.
    Last edited by IRNMN; 06-23-2008 at 08:16 PM.

vCash
    The Blackhawks have been linked to sign UFA big name players and usually fail to sign them. The only exception was Khabby and he isn't living up to the money so far.

vCash
    It's one or the other.

Sure they have cap room now but as time goes on all their players will be making a lot more money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan9124 View Post
    It's one or the other.

Sure they have cap room now but as time goes on all their players will be making a lot more money.
    Not sure about that, from what i'm hearing I've heard the Hawk are activly shopping Khabby(Potentially to Ottawa?). I have also heard from other sites the Hawks want both guys.

vCash
    if they can dump khabby then they better resign lalime as a back up in case crawford fails. I dont see both signings happening.
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbears1225 View Post
    if they can dump khabby then they better resign lalime as a back up in case crawford fails. I dont see both signings happening.
    Agreed. The only reason I would move Khabi is if you know you are going to get both Hossa and Campbell and need to free up the room to get them both....and even then, I think I would trade Havlat first. Khabi still has some left and there is no way I want Crawford shouldering the load of the whole season this year. Most goalies need a year or two as a backup before they go full time with some excepts(see Cary Price).

vCash
    Getting rid of Khabibulan has nothing to do with signing these players. He has one year left on his deal.

There is no doubt that both these guys want at the very minimum five years and twenty five million. (at the very least)

What I was trying to say earlier is they may have the cap room now but eventually that kind of money will be going to Toews and Kane and maybe a defenseman.

So really they don't have even close to the amount of cap room long term to sign both these guys.

If the Hawks really want to spend all the way to the cap they should go after veterans not seeking long term deals.

vCash
    I think there is no question the Hawks can take on the contracts of both of them. It would be cutting it close to add both and drop no big contracts, but in the end result it would be worth it expecially since they are impact guys, and big deals will be off the table next year. For those who are worried about the future deals there is no need to since by that time the younger talent's deals come along there will be plenty cap space freed up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I think there is no question the Hawks can take on the contracts of both of them. It would be cutting it close to add both and drop no big contracts, but in the end result it would be worth it expecially since they are impact guys, and big deals will be off the table next year. For those who are worried about the future deals there is no need to since by that time the younger talent's deals come along there will be plenty cap space freed up.
    Actually there is no question the hawks CANNOT take on both contracts.

Currently they have 45 million committed for next season, leaving them with 11 million space below the cap. Campbell will get over 6 and hossa over 7, no way we have the room.

And you can't trade havlat to make room because he's the biggest reason why hossa wants to come here.

Not too mention we'd be screwed for future cap situations...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTHEman9990 View Post
    Actually there is no question the hawks CANNOT take on both contracts.

Currently they have 45 million committed for next season, leaving them with 11 million space below the cap. Campbell will get over 6 and hossa over 7, no way we have the room.

And you can't trade havlat to make room because he's the biggest reason why hossa wants to come here.

Not too mention we'd be screwed for future cap situations...
    Yes they can. They accually will have about 13 million in cap space there will be some deals off the record also. If the Hawks load the deal so they get the money they lost this season toward next year when Khabby, Lang, and a few more deals are off the table. They can take on both they just have to do the deals smartly. Not to mention many expect the cap level to get bigger so for your future concerns they should not be too much. Now the likelyhood of them getting both is fairly unlikely, but they can get both.

vCash
    Yes they can. They accually will have about 13 million in cap space there will be some deals off the record also. If the Hawks load the deal so they get the money they lost this season toward next year when Khabby, Lang, and a few more deals are off the table. They can take on both they just have to do the deals smartly. Not to mention many expect the cap level to get bigger so for your future concerns they should not be too much. Now the likelyhood of them getting both is fairly unlikely, but they can get both.
    agreed
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    First of all the number that goes against the cap (or the cap hit) is the average of the player's salary over the one contract signed to prevent teams from loading deals, so that won't work.

Secondly 13 million isn't enough for hossa and campbell, hossa rejected a 7 mill a year deal from the pens already and campbell rejected a 6 mil a year deal from buffalo already indicating they want more.

Third Here's the players' Cap hit for 08/09

Bulin 6.75
    Havlat 6
    Lang 4
    Sharp 3.9
    Kane 3.75
    Seabrook 3.5
    Buff 3
    Toews 2.8
    Barker 2.736
    Sopel 2.333
    Ladd 1.55
    Keith 1.475
    Wiz .9
    Bolland .846
    Burish .713
    Eager .6
    Adams .6
    (curtis brown buyout) .456

For a grand total of 45.883
    which is around 11 below the cap of 56 million
    for only 17 players, we need 20+ more likely to be 22 on an nhl roster.

vCash
    I owuld love ot have both, but one would be awesome. though I thhink it's unlikely that we get either one
    Thanks JO-MO

vCash
    I would not shoot anything down. I think with this franchise heading in the right direction it would be a logical landing spot for premiere FA's. I think Hossa would be a bit easier to pick up because Campbell still has a shot of staying in San Jose also may want to play in the East. I think that the Hawks will go all out to get one or both of these FA's and I think there is a good chance Tallon can convince atleast one here. Personally I hope Hossa would sign here the thought of a team with the top two lines featuring Martin Havlat, Marian Hossa, Bobby Lang(?), Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, and Patrick Sharp is mind boggling. I really think if Khabby stay healthy he can play up to standards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast