Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Vols to sign Fulmer long term

Vols to give Fulmer a 7-year extension

Phillip Fulmer's wife and kids have asked him the question. Tennessee fans ask all the time. And just last week, recruits asked him directly about it. How long will he be UT's head football coach? On Saturday, he got to the point. "I think it's a fair question when you start closing in on 20 years," Fulmer said, driving home from UT's annual high school football camp. "As long as I enjoy it, and as long as we continue to have success, I'm committed for another eight to 10 years. At least." Reassuring words for his backers. Scary words for his detractors. But Fulmer's comments are particularly timely. He currently makes $2.05 million a year and is in his 16th full season as UT's head coach. In the coming days, Fulmer will get a big raise. His total compensation package is expected to be between $2.6 million and $3 million. And if the whispers are true, he will receive a seven-year extension, the longest of his career. "It's never been about money; it's never been about fame," Fulmer said. "I just enjoy the job." -- Tennessean

vCash
    They recently announced this was official as Fulmer got an extension through 2014 worth on average $3 million a year. Tennessee fans are split where here as about half feel he is the best they can get and the other half feel that Tennessee has been mediocre the last several seasons.

vCash
    Another detail of the contract is that when the contract expires there is a clause in the contract that states as long as the Vols win at least 8 games Fulmer's contract gets automatically extended.