Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Marleau Rumors

vCash

Marleau Rumors

So let me add this to the mix: An NHL source — not connected with either team — advises that the Sharks and Columbus are indeed close to a deal. San Jose would send Marleau and another player (unspecified) to the Blue Jackets for their first-round draft pick — 6th overall in the NHL entry draft later this month — and right wing Nikolai Zherdev.
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...e-particulars/

I've heard this rumor a couple times now and I think it might be able to work out for both teams. Many people are weary in getting rid of Marleau but Zherdev is very talented in his own right and could have a huge impact for us, plus the 6th overall pick with an incredibly deep draft. The only question for me is if Zherdev is motivated.

I can see the deal go down as Marleau + Mclaren/Carle for Zherdev and #6 overall.

I don't think we should give up on Carle just yet but but this would clear plenty of cap room to resign Brian Campbell and would benifit both teams.

What do you guys think?

vCash
    The only player id trade him for is rick nash.

vCash
    if marleau is moving, hes going to move soon. his no trade clause goes into effect july 1.

vCash
    I believe the Sharks are desperate for a 1st round pick in this - one of the deepest NHL drafts - in the league's history. If they aren't, they should be.

That said, the most logical candidates for Marleau would be Columbus, Atlanta, and Buffalo, all of which possess two 1st round picks.

A package involving a 1st round pick with a blue-chip prospect, or a 1st round pick with a player, would serve the Sharks interests the best.

The Sabres currently have 15 forwards and 3 blue-chip forward prospects, but it is unlikely they will be willing to embrace Marleau's contract.

It is also unlikely that SJ would be willing to give up Marleau to Atlanta. The Thrashers would certainly not part with their 3rd overall pick, but rather offer their 29th overall, (which is about the same value as a second round choice).

That leaves us with Columbus. The blue-coats want a player to work with Nash and Zherdev, so you can factor them out of any trade plausibilities. If Columbus would be willing to give up their high-end 6th pick overall, they should easily be able to land Marleau with the pick plus a prospect (center Derick Brassard or right winger Jakub Voracek). I wouldn't be surprised to see SJ try to pry Jiri Novotny from Columbus in a trade, as he would be able to replace the size and experience lost with the departure of Steve Bernier in the Campbell trade.

Most likely destination of these three teams? Columbus. They need a playmaking center. They are desperate enough to bet that Marleau will bounce back this season, and his experience and playmaking ability would add a huge amount of playoff potential to this club.

vCash
    The Marleau/Columbus rumors have been around since before the trade deadline. At this point I'd be more surprised if he doesn't go to Columbus before the draft. I love Patty, but I'd also love the 6th pick and the tons of cap room that it would free up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ramstoria View Post
    The Marleau/Columbus rumors have been around since before the trade deadline. At this point I'd be more surprised if he doesn't go to Columbus before the draft. I love Patty, but I'd also love the 6th pick and the tons of cap room that it would free up.
    Agreed

vCash
    well today is the day. either we trade marleau or hes going to be a shark for another 2 years. guess well see if anything happens.

vCash
    Marleau isn't going anywhere. McLellen has already started he wants Marleau to be their captain this coming season, and I'm predicting he will have a turn around season. I'm expecting big things from our captain.

vCash
    Marleau is soft. And quiet. He should not be our captain. We need to trade his *** and give Thornton the "C". We need to move away from the Marleau era. It is best for the team. Captains are meant to set the example and Marleau sure did in the playoffs, soft and unmotivated

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareafan650 View Post
    Marleau is soft. And quiet. He should not be our captain. We need to trade his *** and give Thornton the "C". We need to move away from the Marleau era. It is best for the team. Captains are meant to set the example and Marleau sure did in the playoffs, soft and unmotivated
    Are you serious? Marleau knows how to lead the team. He had one bad season and never got along with Ron Wilson, he should PLAY BETTER without him as coach. Thornton has already stated he doesn't want to be captain.

vCash
    Old......soooo old!

vCash
    I would want to see how Marleau does this season with McLellen. just seemed like nobody meshed right with Wilson. Watching Marleau in last years playoffs opened some eyes... Too bad nobody else showed up...