Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Possible VP's for both sides

(sorry to edit your post, nate, I just wanted this info at the top of this thread)
    -------------------------------

Here is CNN's "Pros and Cons" guide to the possible vice presidential choices:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/26/veepstakes/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Original post:
    ==========

Pretty simple, list who you want to be your canidate's VP/who you think will be your canidates VP. What would that Vice President bring to the table?
    Last edited by DenButsu; 08-04-2008 at 02:51 AM.
    Colts ~ 14-2

vCash
    Obama

My short list:

1. Colin Powell (I know but it's my list)
    2. Al Gore
    3. Hillary
    4. Bill Richardson (sans beard)

vCash
    obama/nelson is what i think it'll be
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    GOP: McCain/Lieberman

Dems: Obama/Webb

That would be a fun race to watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    obama/nelson is what i think it'll be
    Bill (Fla) or Ben (Neb)?

Obama - ???

1. Jim Webb (Sen - Virginia)
    2. Ed Rendell (Gov - Pennsylvania)
    3. John Edwards (Fmr Sen - N. Carolina)
    4. Joe Biden (Sen - Delaware)

I know, I know ... I've long said that Edwards isn't a nominee. But, I've been talking myself into it lately.

McCain - ???

1. Bobby Jindal (Gov - Louisiana)
    2. Charlie Crist (Gov - Florida)
    3. Mitt Romney (Gov - Mass)
    4. Mike Huckabee (Gov - Arkansas)

I can still see Huckabee as an outside shot for the GOP because I can still see McCain needing Hucks help with the Christian Coalition (although, I think that Jindal may be able to provide that, even though he's Indian-American -- because he's a bit of a "rising star" in the GOP and campaigned as a social conservative).
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    ^ i meant ben (my bad for not specifying). i think getting that midwestern vote is imperative and can really give obama a solid 1-2 punch. i know bill nelson's agenda pretty well having lived in his state for the past decade, but i'd prefer ben over him.

i also like your choices of biden and webb. both would be a-ok in my opinion.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    ^ i meant ben (my bad for not specifying). i think getting that midwestern vote is imperative and can really give obama a solid 1-2 punch. i know bill nelson's agenda pretty well having lived in his state for the past decade, but i'd prefer ben over him.

i also like your choices of biden and webb. both would be a-ok in my opinion.
    Gotcha.

Yea, I had considered Ben Nelson for my list, too. Not only is he solid for the midwestern vote (especially out of Nebraska -- been a red state for awhile), but he would make the ticket a little more centered. They couldn't very well call out an Obama-Nelson ticket for being "too liberal."

But, the reason I didn't put it on there is that Obama is a really strong candidate by himself in the midwest. If Nelson is out there campaigning for him, along with Gov. Sebelius in Kansas, we may have the opportunity to see a strong showing in some midwestern states without necessarily having a midwestern VP candidate (I think Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconson, and possibly Missouri could all go blue this cycle). Then the ticket could benefit from a strong military presence (Webb or Biden) or a populist white-worker candidate (Edwards) that could pull some votes out of the south.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Obama:
    Ed Rendell
    Governor of Ohio, though he's a hillary supporter.

Obama needs at least one of those states, Ed Rendell would be best though imo.

McCain-
    An actual conservative.

Preferably Romney.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    I don't believe you will see Edwards in any VP role. Not with his wife being sick again. I think he knew he wouldn't get the Presidential bid, but didn't want to simply back out, nor would his wife probably have let him.

No way you see Powell. He's done. I think he was pretty fed up after those first 4 years.

Webb is a good choice for Obama. He is after all a former republican, able to draw a lot of republicans who aren't completely over the fence. Not to mention he also will be strong among one of the demographics Obama is said to be weak with (Gun wielding white males).

Governer Rendell is also a pretty solid choice for Obama. He brings a lot of the vote Hillary could grab and would bring the Hillary (I'm voting republican if she doesn't get it) votes back to the Democratic side.

McCain is almost certain to end up with Romney or Jindal... I think in the end, it will be Romney.
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    McCain-
    An actual conservative.

Preferably Romney.
    Is Romney genuinely considered by conservatives to be "an actual conservative"? I was under the impression that he, like McCain, had battled through the primaries to distance himself from previous statements/actions that were uncomfortably moderate/centrist for the real hardline conservatives. That he also had a dubious air about him when it came to questions of whether he was a "true conservative" or not.

I do think McCain's in a tougher spot in choosing his running mate, since it's practically impossible to simultaneously appeal both to the middle and the far right, and really he needs to do both.

Anyhow, I agree with Rendell in principle at least. Obama's choice should most definintely bridge him with a) Clinton supporters and b) "Appalachia". Rendell fits both. Webb does, too. I like either.

I don't like Edwards or Biden as veep choices. Obama needs Biden in the Senate on the front lines of legislative and issue agendas, and Edwards should be in the Cabinet ("Poverty Czar"?)
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    For Obama, I think Richardson would be a smart choice.

For Mccain, not sure. I think he may go with a democrat. Someone said Lieberman earlier in this thread....that would be an interesting choice.

Is Romney genuinely considered by conservatives to be "an actual conservative"?
    He is liked by the right, more than Mccain. Though I'm not exactly sure why.

Obama will probably choose Webb though....just because of the fact that I can't stand that guy. He annoys me a lot.

I do think McCain's in a tougher spot in choosing his running mate, since it's practically impossible to simultaneously appeal both to the middle and the far right, and really he needs to do both.
    I always thought that maybe dragging out Newt would be an interesting choice.

I really don't know who is in play though. And I really don't know who Mccain would choose. I think Romney would be a foolish choice. He doesn't add a whole lot to the campaign. What's Colin Powell up to these days?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    Obama:
    Ed Rendell
    Governor of Ohio, though he's a hillary supporter.

Obama needs at least one of those states, Ed Rendell would be best though imo.

McCain-
    An actual conservative.

Preferably Romney.
    I think Obama should target either Ted Strickland (Gov. of Ohio, like you said) or Jim Webb.

McCain needs Romney.
    Colts ~ 14-2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    For Mccain, not sure. I think he may go with a democrat. Someone said Lieberman earlier in this thread....that would be an interesting choice.
    Hate to break it to ya, gcoll, but Lieberman is a Republican.

He's roundly (and accurately) called, on liberal blogs, "Holy Joe", "2008's Zell Miller", "warmonger" (the most fitting description), and "traitor" (also fitting). And images like this, this and this are commonly seen.

The ONLY reason he hasn't officially changed his party affiliation to Republican yet is that he's power hungry and his status as an independent aligned with the Democrats (which enables them to claim the Senate majority) is the only thing keeping him relevant. Although now that he's attached himself so closely to McCain, he hopes that will be his path to relevance after November. But if McCain loses, and when the Democrats take a solid majority of Senate seats, he will promptly lose any remaining privileges he has with the Democratic Party, be stripped of his chairmanship of the Senate Homeland Security Committee (a job which he is currently failing to do anyhow), and kicked out on the curb and into the dustbin of irrelevance.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Hate to break it to ya, gcoll, but Lieberman is a Republican
    Of course. Because he doesn't support a withdrawal from Iraq, he will be demonized by liberals.

Kind of like Mccain actually. A lot of people call Mccain a "RINO" and whatnot.

But of course, if Mccain were going to pick a democrat....he would pick one from the center. He's not gonna go grab a wicked liberal one.

But he won't do that anyhow. He needs some conservative street cred, so to speak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Of course. Because he doesn't support a withdrawal from Iraq, he will be demonized by liberals.
    No, it's not just the war. He's said he'd support McCain's Supreme Court appointments, he's joined in the Hamas smears (and other smears) on Obama, he's defended Hagee, agreed to give the keynote speech at the Republican convention if McCain asks him to (even if he's NOT the veep choice), sponsored ammendments which would bring us to war with Iran, officially endorsed McCain and joined his campaign... the list goes on and on...

Yes, the war is the big one, but it's not the only factor that makes Lieberman a Republican. He truly has defected in almost every way imaginable outside of formally changing his party affiliation.

And fwiw, it's not just that he "doesn't support a withdrawal". He's the guy beating the war drums most loudly of ANY senators out there today, Republicans included. It's not as if he's reluctantly resigning himself to an unfortunate inevitability that we need to stay in Iraq, he WANTS more war, badly, including war with Iran, and he's pushing for it with all his might. He is, in the truest sense of the word, a warmonger.

Atheists Of PSD

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast