Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedro?

vCash

Pedro?

According to mlbtraderumors.com, the Brewers might be emerging as a possible suitor for pedro martinez. The article also talks about how the Red Sox are scouting Mitch Stetter. I don't know if or why we're considering trading Stetter, but its interesting. Thoughts?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ about half way down the page there's an article.

vCash
    The Red Sox scouted Brewers left-hander Mitch Stetter last week. The 28-year-old reliever has held lefties to a .170 average and rigthties to a .151 mark this season. The Sox, who scouted him last week, are simply being thorough and exploring options in case they come to need anothery lefty in the pen, writes Cafardo.
    Pedro Martinez, RHP, free agent: As of Friday afternoon, the Dodgers were not one of the teams engaged in talks with Martinez. "All of our conversations on Pedro took place in the offseason," said owner Frank McCourt. "I have not been made aware of any talks beyond those." The Brewers may be emerging in the hunt. The Mets' starting five is in shambles, the Rangers need anyone, the Nationals need credibility, injuries are mounting with the Jays, and the Astros, Rockies, A's, Orioles, Indians, and Pirates all need a starter. Look for one of them to break down and pay up ($5 million) for Pedro.

vCash
    Where would you put him?

vCash
    i like it. Pedro can still pitch and we all saw it in the WBC. Yet big problem is where would we move who?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by muktown23 View Post
    i like it. Pedro can still pitch and we all saw it in the WBC.
    Using the WBC for Pedro still being able to pitch would be horrible for a GM. He pitched all of his innings against the Netherlands, their best hitters were a washed up Randall Simon and Greg Halman, a Double-A outfielder in the Mariners organization who has a long way to go before he's a major league player.

He's more likely to provide what he did in 2008 than anything he did in the WBC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E
    you over rate OBP. especially for the White Sox who leave countless in scoring position. RBI is a way more important stat then OBP anyday.

vCash
    Melvin must and will make this move. I said before the season started the Brewers needed another quality starter. If pedro was already in place Macha would have sent Soup to the pen for awhile.

Mark realizes the potential for poor revenues this year. Spending 5 million for Pedro would be made back by the jersey sales alone. A win / win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
    Melvin must and will make this move. I said before the season started the Brewers needed another quality starter. If pedro was already in place Macha would have sent Soup to the pen for awhile.

Mark realizes the potential for poor revenues this year. Spending 5 million for Pedro would be made back by the jersey sales alone. A win / win.
    Pedro is no longer a "quality starter."

And would you be in approval of this move if it prevented us from picking up a better pitcher in July?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E
    you over rate OBP. especially for the White Sox who leave countless in scoring position. RBI is a way more important stat then OBP anyday.

vCash
    ^^^Depends on who the "better" pitcher is and how much better that pitcher would be than pedro. If we can get pedro in right now and he can pitch well, then he might be more valuable then a guy we get in July, unless that guy has a couple years left on his contract. I'm not sure if I'm ready to make this move, because the revenue most likely would not be made up by jersey sales, unless he pitches like CC last year, which is highly unlikely. It depends if Manny Parra gets back on track or not and if Soup continues to pitch like he did his first couple starts, then I think I'd rather have a proven vet instead of relying on the Triple A guys.

vCash
    According to Brewers.com, Doug Melvin says the Brewers aren't interested in Pedro.

vCash
    Yeah, Melvin denied even speaking to Pedro's agent

vCash
    if we did we should boot Supp

vCash
    Not at 12 million this year they can't. He'd have to pitch well and make a switch at mid-season. But if he's pitching well at mid-season do you keep him? Look what he did in the playoff's....big fat zero!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ********** View Post
    What did you want from Suppan last year? The Phillies were very hot and the way the Brewers limped into the playoffs with the fact they won a game against the team that won it all is enough to make me happy. If Philly would have flopped in the next round I would second guess things but there's no reason to. Suppan is coming around this year. Parra and CV are the 2 pitchers in the most trouble right now.
    You don't know much about economics and you clearly didn't understand my statement.

No team can have 12 million committed for this and next year to a 500 pitcher. Bad money management.

As to the playoff's. Melvin and Mark said during Suppan's signing interview the main reason for getting Suppan was that he is a veteran and shined in the World Series.

Everyone has a bad game. Suppan absolutley SUCKED the entire last half of last season, in the playoff's and so far this year.

You are the one always postings stat's on this thread (and do a fine job of it) go ahead...post the 12 million dollar man's stat's. The faster you unload Suppan's contract the better. That is why I said I hope he plays well enough to be picked up by mid-season.

Better off taking a half season flyer on Sheets and letting Soup go.

vCash
    ^^

You again didn't bother to read what I said. I never said dump him, I said trade him. IF HE CAN GET SOME DECENT GAMES TOGETHER AND SHOW HE HAS SOME VALUE...YES, TRADE HIM. Make a package, get rid of the insane contract.

You also refuse to acknowledge the fact that Soup has had a crap record for the second half of last season, the playoff's were a bust thanks in part to him and the start of this season.

Must be the Soup fan club President.

If we could have TRADED him at the end of last year think of the potential shopping Melvin could have done. Like....a catcher.

vCash
    I like the idea of picking up Pedro. He is a nice veteran arm who still can bring some nasty pitches to the table. We could always just move either Suppan or Pedro to the bullpen if necessary as well.

The team is playing really well right now together so maybe management won't want to change anything too drastically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast