Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who Will Be The Biggest Impact Rookie In 2008?

This past weekend was the first official Mini-Camp for all 32 NFL teams and the first taste what Pro Football really is for 32 first round draft picks. ESPN had a poll asking the public which rookie would have the most initial impact on their respective team, the overwhelming first place vote was Darren McFadden, is this warranted? Do you agree or disagree? I personaly believe its much easier for RB's to make an initial splash because of their reliance on the offensive line, if the line is good a mediocre back can rack up yards. Defense is much more difficult to make an immediate impact, adjusting to the speed of the game is much more difficult in the pro's, everything and everyone is faster. My picks for Defensive and Offensive ROY are below, make sure and add yours choice and then we'll revisit this right before the season and adjust if necessary:

Offensive ROY:
    Felix Jones, RB Dallas Cowboys
    Dallas has one of the best OLines and with T.O. and Romo as weapons the defense has to contend with, he should excel.

Defensive ROY:
    Jarod Mayo, LB New England Patriots
    If Penn State is LineBacker U, the New England should be re-named LineBacker Massachusetts. Mayo reminds me of Patrick Willis in that he was a kid who went un-hyped from a school that didnt do so well this year but the fact that he was mentioned and picked in the 1st Round shows that it was because his talent was undeniable.

I would have to disagree with you're Felix Jones pick, just because i don't know how many carries he will be able to take away from Marion Barber. If anybody is going win as a RB i think it will be Rashard Mendenhall and it seems like they will truly be splitting carries in Pittsburgh. I also like his ability to catch passes out of the backfield.

Vernon Gholston is my pick for DPOY because he is pretty much going to be standing up at OLB and blitzing the QB most of the time. He is so athletically gifted that i could see him getting a good number of sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    Vernon Gholston is my pick for DPOY .
    Thats a tall order for a rookie, or did you mean DROY?

Darren McFadden

With your pick of Felix Jones, I suspect that you are a Dallas fan. In Dallas and Oakland, the runningbacks will split carries, but the reality is that Darren McFadden will have the greatest impact because he is the type of player that can turn around a team that has struggled. The Raiders have had talented defenses in 2006 and 2007 but struggled to keep the offense on the field; whereas, Dallas has not had that issue.

The other fact is, the Oakland offensive line may be maligned but they did help LaMont Jordan lead the league in rushing until injury, then paved the way for the first 1,000 yard season by Justin Fargas and a couple 100 yard games by Dominic Rhodes. The problem was not the offensive line, it was the quarterback, Josh McCown, who would make many costly mistakes. The Raiders were also unable to make the big play and stop the big play--with McFadden they will make the big play, while they have guys on defense that can do the same (Thomas Howard, DeAngelo Hall).

What they lack is a run-stuffer, but the fact is, the defense would spent too much time on the field; with an improved offense, that won't be the case. With McFadden, the Raiders got the best runner in the draft and possibly the best short-yardage receiver--his record of fumbles is overrated because most of them came on kick returns, when he dropped back as a passer and from the holding the ball incorrectly (but D-Mac has responded to correction). That is why Oakland has a chance at being a "dark horse" in 2008 and is also why Darren McFadden will be the Offensive Rookie of the Year.

As for defensive rookie of the year, that one is likely up for grabs. But I'm leaning towards Derrick Harvey in Jacksonville.

I think Vernon Gholston will win DROY
    And Felix Jones OROY
    DUKE.

Jones will be a good pick because of his situation, same thing with Mendenhall. It will be one of them or maybe a darkhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdz29 View Post
    With your pick of Felix Jones, I suspect that you are a Dallas fan.

No, I'm actually a Raider Fan to tell the truth, but you made a good case for McFadden so I'm going to tell you why I disagree. McFadden is a great runner and has a lot of speed and the Raiders O Line is great. The wild card in that situation is Michael Bush, we have yet to see what he can do, he's had a full year to recover properly, and a full year to become acclimated to the NFL, but more importantly a full year to digest the playbook. Remember Michael Bush was the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy 2 years ago before he broke his leg in the first game of the season. If he performs the way he did in college he has the speed of McFadden but can run you over too and everyone knows McFadden goes down on contact. The pick of Felix Jones is not because I dig the Cowboys, its because he's the contrasting speed back to the bruiser Marion Barber, he will split time with one guy as opposed to McFadden sharing carries with 3 other guys, Jordan, Fargas, and Bush.

i agree with Jones or Mendenhall for OROY, but i doubt Jerod Mayo will be DROY, he has so much competition for tackles on that defense...i think maybe dan connor or keith rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Éire go Brách View Post
    i agree with Jones or Mendenhall for OROY, but i doubt Jerod Mayo will be DROY, he has so much competition for tackles on that defense...i think maybe dan connor or keith rivers.
    I don't think Jones of Mendenhall will be the rookie of the year, just for the fact that they are playing behind Barber and Parker. I think a guy like Stewart is going to put up a lot better numbers. Carolina is going to give him the ball on the goal line so he should put up big TD totals, and I think he will have some good yardage stats too, with Carolina's revamped line.

Dorsey is going to win the Defensive award. This guy looks like a young Sapp. I see Dorsey putting up some big numbers. I know it's hard for a DT to win the award though. Chris Long may make a push for it too.

McFadden

sleeper pick:..............Steve Slaton
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

k-phil

Quote Originally Posted by twelvePack View Post
    I think a guy like Stewart is going to put up a lot better numbers. Carolina is going to give him the ball on the goal line so he should put up big TD totals, and I think he will have some good yardage stats too, with Carolina's revamped line.

I dont know, Carolina already has a good RB who showed he can play last season, this could be his break out year which wouldnt bode well for Stewart.

Offensive - Darren McFadden (OROY)
    Jake Long (biggest impact player)

Defensive - Vernon Gholston (biggest impact player)
    Jerod Mayo or Keith Rivers (DROY)

felix jones deff wont be rookie of the year.cowboys only got him over rashard mendenhall because he played good as a BACKUP to darren mcfadden. but matt ryan could be an impact this year. but then again,look at jamarcus russell.it could go to darren mcfadden.

I think that leodis mcelvin could win defensive rookie. The man was very very good and some reports say he could be the next harris like return man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast