Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'll do a mailblog later this week, but I wanted to pull this question out because, well, I asked the same question to Jeff Jagodzinski Monday and wanted to share his answer with you. Jerome, in East Boston, asked me this:

You mention Brian Toal's presence on defense in your recent linebacker rankings, but how about his rushing? The dude is an absolute tank inside the 5 yard line. In Coach Jags' first year with Toal on the sidelines (due to Toal's medical redshirt last year), do you think Jags will utilize Toal as much as Tom O'Brien did?

Well, Jerome, apparently Jagodzinski has changed his mind since we last talked in the spring -- depending on one freshman running back will do that to you.
    "I may," Jagodzinski said. "I may not have a choice not to because of our running back situation. He wants to do it. He's subtly getting word to me that he wants to do it. He hasn't asked me yet, but he tells other guys, 'Hey let him know what I want to do this.' He's a talented guy. If it's going to help us win a football game, I'll do it. Always have the best 11 on the field."

It certainly couldn't hurt to have Toal used in short yardage situations again. In 2006, Toal carried the ball 19 times for 35 yards and a team-high six touchdowns as a running back. He missed the 2007 season with a shoulder injury, but should be one of the Eagles' top linebackers this season.

Who knows? Maybe he'll be one of their best ball-carriers, too
    -ESPN

I am very happy and at the same time hesitant to hear that Toal might be playing some running back. He is a great short yardage guy and i love saying "First and Toal!". However, i dnot like the fact that he will be taking all those hits to his shoulder
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    -ESPN

I am very happy and at the same time hesitant to hear that Toal might be playing some running back. He is a great short yardage guy and i love saying "First and Toal!". However, i dnot like the fact that he will be taking all those hits to his shoulder
    I watched Toal at running back in highschool when he went against my team it wasnt his power that killed us it was his speed his first 2 carries up the middle we stuffed him but then he got a sweep and see ya 65 yd touchdown. We lost that game 65-13 btw and we scored more points on them than any other team he was part of the best HS team ever

Thanks Bullsfan1 Go Canes!

vCash
    Ron Brace: Boston College's big man
    It's one thing to write about how big a defensive tackle is, and another to actually sit down face-to-face with a man-wall like Ron Brace, a 324-pound left tackle from Boston College.

The best thing about this guy?

His personality looms just as large.

"There's a lot of meat in the middle with me and B.J. (Raji)," he said, laughing. "It's a big jump -- you've got 325-pound tackles and you've got some 240-pound ends."

Left end Alex Albright will bring the speed off the edge in the pass rush, but Brace has become a little more mobile himself. When he first came to Chestnut Hill, Mass., he weighed 366 pounds. He's been losing weight ever since -- not that he was piling up on cookies, cakes and candy before.

"I'm not really a desert person anyway," he said. "I think it helped me so much, especially at this level of playing, how fast it is."

Given the question marks on offense, Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski said he's looking for the defense to carry the Eagles "for the first part of the season."

"That's the strength of our football team, is the front seven on defense," he said.

"They're big," he said of Brace and Raji. "They're big. ... We're going to get a lot of push up the middle now."

Not that it's all work, no play for these guys.

During summer camp, it's become a tradition on one day off for director of football operations Barry Gallup to take the players to the IMAX theater or a local ice cream/driving range run by a BC alum.

"I take about maybe five swings, maybe one ball will get out there 100 yards, another will just dribble off the platform," Brace said with a chuckle. "I say, 'Forget that,' and head to the batting cages where I'm not any better. So I just go have me a little low-fat yogurt in the corner and wait til we leave, sitting in the putting area."

Sometimes talking to these guys is as entertaining as watching them play.
    -ESPN

I am so excited that both Ron Brace and BJ Raji will be playing for us this season. They are both excellent run stuffers and can still disrupt the QB in the backfield some. I wouldn't doubt if both these guys were 1st team All-ACC by the end of this year

vCash
    We should no doubt have one of the best defensive front lines in all of the ACC again this year.

Questions are mostly on offense, with a few in the defensive backfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaaBoTownSox View Post
    We should no doubt have one of the best defensive front lines in all of the ACC again this year.

Questions are mostly on offense, with a few in the defensive backfield.
    And even on offense it's mostly limited to the backfield. Purvis has slowly established himself as one of the nation's best TEs, Megwa, Gunnell and Robinson are all very solid WRs and Tennant, Ramsey and Castonzo give us a terrific base for our offensive line. I feel pretty confident with Haden, but not at all with Crane. He's clearly the big question mark on offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake's Fastball View Post
    And even on offense it's mostly limited to the backfield. Purvis has slowly established himself as one of the nation's best TEs, Megwa, Gunnell and Robinson are all very solid WRs and Tennant, Ramsey and Castonzo give us a terrific base for our offensive line. I feel pretty confident with Haden, but not at all with Crane. He's clearly the big question mark on offense.
    I agree with you for the most part. Rich Gunnell really stepped it up for us last year and made a lot of big plays, but i wonder which WR's Crane is going to have good chemistry with. I'm not as concerned with Crane at QB as i am with Haden in the backfield. Haden is definitely talented but he is also young and relatively small if i am remembering correctly.

vCash
    Absolutely. I feel the same way.

vCash
    I agree with you for the most part. Rich Gunnell really stepped it up for us last year and made a lot of big plays, but i wonder which WR's Crane is going to have good chemistry with. I'm not as concerned with Crane at QB as i am with Haden in the backfield. Haden is definitely talented but he is also young and relatively small if i am remembering correctly.
    I'll agree that Haden's not stellar, but I don't think he's a ton different from Callender last year, and I don't think Logan's offense is likely to put a ton of emphasis on him anyways.

vCash
    I'll agree that Haden's not stellar, but I don't think he's a ton different from Callender last year, and I don't think Logan's offense is likely to put a ton of emphasis on him anyways.
    That could be true, but who knows what Logan's offense is even going to look like this year. It seemed like last year it was built around Ryan's strengths and this year it will probably look different with Crane behind center. I'm ready for Kent State

vCash
    That could be true, but who knows what Logan's offense is even going to look like this year. It seemed like last year it was built around Ryan's strengths and this year it will probably look different with Crane behind center. I'm ready for Kent State
    Perhaps. It's just with his track record, the fact that he's the quarterbacks coach, and BC's strengths on offense this year that I've got to believe we'll be airing it out alot.

vCash
    It kind of blows that I can't see the opener on ESPNU, because comcast doesn't have it!!

It should be a good game, with similar offenses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaaBoTownSox View Post
    It kind of blows that I can't see the opener on ESPNU, because comcast doesn't have it!!

It should be a good game, with similar offenses.
    It really blows that i won't be able to see most of the games this year. Last year was amazing because they were constantly on TV due to Matt Ryan and his Heisman Campaign. I'll definitely be following the box score tomorrow night to see how all the guy are doing and we should come out on top....and i can't wait until the Nov. 29th game against Maryland because i'm making the trip up to Chestnut Hill

vCash
    Defense did incredibly today, albeit against a mid-major. Running game looked good, but from what I can gather, from a guy who our offense supposedly rests on, Crane really didn't wow too many people against a pretty poor defense.

vCash
    Defense did incredibly today, albeit against a mid-major. Running game looked good, but from what I can gather, from a guy who our offense supposedly rests on, Crane really didn't wow too many people against a pretty poor defense.
    I was pretty happy with what i saw today. I loved how the offense looked last year with Matt Ryan throwing 50 times a game, but now we are back to playing Boston College Football! We ran the ball 47 times for 230 times today...those are the kind of numbers that we saw during the Tom O'Brien years. Josh Haden, Jeff Smith, McCluskey, Toal, and even Chris Crane looked good running the rock today. Chris Crane might not have "wowed" anyone today but i'm not worried about that. He was effecient and played under control...thats exactly what we need. I have absolutely no concerns about the front 7 and the secondary looked decent.

Lets Go Eagles!!!

vCash
    Crane's distinct inability to have any game-breaking plays on offense really shone through in the GT game. It can get by against the Kent States of the world, but once we're facing the Miamis, Clemsons and FSUs of the ACC, we're in trouble.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast