Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

The Official Boston College Eagles Thread

What do ya say hughest4? I figured if the Canes and Hokies get their own thread, why not another successful team in the ACC get one as well...

I also found a story about the Eagles' running back situation to give this thread a nice crissening.

The Boston College Eagles have lost their starting quarterback, Matt Ryan, to the NFL, and he could potentially be the No. 1 overall pick in next month's draft.

In cases such as this, you'd like to be able to rely on a running back with experience. Unfortunately for Boston College, that's an impossibility as those backs with significant playing time last season -- L.V. Whitworth (362 yards rushing and three touchdowns) and Andre Callender (989 yards and nine TDs) -- are gone.

So here's the question: On a team with a new quarterback and no running backs with major college experience, who is going to be the guy the team turns to in order to keep enemy offenses off the field?

Well, it could be freshman Josh Haden, a four-star running back from Fort Washington, Md., who runs the 40-yard dash in 4.41 seconds. If that sounds good, please understand that's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Haden. Still, freshmen rarely start in big-time college football. So why is Haden already being tabbed as the Eagles' starting running back by many?

Because he's likely going to be the most talented of a bunch of players with very little experience at the position for Boston College in 2008.

Soon-to-be sophomore Jeff Smith (5-foot-9, 190 pounds) only managed 4 yards rushing last season for the club and wasn't that highly ranked coming out of high school. In addition, he dealt with injuries in 2007. John Siravo, a 5-10, 194-pound senior back, doesn't have any college experience and wasn't highly ranked either. Then there's Patrick Quinn, who only offers more of the same.

Thus, when you break it down, all that probably would've been left to stand in Haden's way was soon-to-be junior A.J. Brooks (65 yards rushing last season), a 5-11, 198-pounder who was considered the 51st-best running back in the nation when he came out of high school in 2004. Unfortunately, he supposedly beat a 20-year-old man in December, was suspended, and is unlikely to suit up for the club next season. Of course, when you compare his background to that of Haden -- who is widely considered the third-best all-around back in the 2008 class and the No. 2 overall player coming out of Maryland -- it just seems to pale in comparison anyway.

So who will be the starting running back next season for the Eagles? Can't be sure yet. But what is known is that a favorite seems to have poked his head out. Interestingly, that favorite has never donned a BC uniform.
    LINK

vCash
    Yeah i guess that its a good idea, but i really wish i was the one to make it...Anyway about the whole BC running back situation i think that Josh Haden will definitely be the starter barring injury. I'm pretty sure Jeff Smith might be injured, and i am somewhat happy that Brooks is suspended. The kid has fumbleitis.

And just so you know...this will have more posts then anything else in the ACC Forum
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    Yeah i guess that its a good idea, but i really wish i was the one to make it:mad:...Anyway about the whole BC running back situation i think that Josh Haden will definitely be the starter barring injury. I'm pretty sure Jeff Smith might be injured, and i am somewhat happy that Brooks is suspended. The kid has fumbleitis.

And just so you know...this will have more posts then anything else in the ACC Forum
    You had all this time to make it

But yeah, Haden appears to be not only the leading candidate to take over the starting RB spot, but it seems as if he may become a solid running back in the future.

You better start working now, if you want this to have the most posts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post
    You had all this time to make it

But yeah, Haden appears to be not only the leading candidate to take over the starting RB spot, but it seems as if he may become a solid running back in the future.

You better start working now, if you want this to have the most posts.
    Yeah i know i had plenty of time, but i can never find any news on BC since nobody cares about them. I like Haden a lot, but he is going to have to be a good running back now and in the future because we really dont have anyone else...

And trust me..this thread will be #1

vCash
    Chris Crane is well aware the Boston College quarterback watch has begun.

After all, there is life after Matt Ryan, and Crane happens to be it.

"It's a lot different when everyone is looking at you," he said.

Crane, a senior who has started just one game over the past three seasons, is one of the biggest unknowns in the ACC this season but also the Eagles' most experienced returner and the favorite to win the job.

"A lot of people are looking to the guy who's going to fill Matt Ryan's shoes, and that can be a little ominous," Crane said. "It's hard to follow an act like that, but I've been behind him for a while and I've been dealing with it for the past couple years, but I just have to say I've learned a lot from him."

Crane is a self-described drop-back passer with the size and speed to elude rushers. He said he has met with offensive coordinator Steve Logan about how the playbook will change this season to suit his strengths.

"We've gone over it and we believe that we can create an offense that conforms to what I do best, not what Matt did best," Crane said. "Next year, you'll probably see things that will be the same -- because it worked so well -- and things that are a little bit different, because I do things a little bit differently than Matt, and I'm more comfortable with certain types of plays."

For now, Crane is atop the spring depth chart, but he's getting some competition from redshirt freshman Dominique Davis and junior college transfer Codi Boek. Crane has the edge in experience -- namely eight games in 2006, when Ryan's foot was broken.

"That kind of helped out coming in now," Crane said. "It's not like the first time I've had to almost be the starting quarterback during practice."

Only now he IS the starting quarterback at practice.
    -ESPN

Let me tell you, it sure does feel good to be posting some news in this BC thread. I wasnt sure who would win the job but i do have total confidence in Crane to get the job done. I cant wait for the season to start!

vCash
    Well if nothing else, he has tons of confidence...I like that in any player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post
    Well if nothing else, he has tons of confidence...I like that in any player.
    I agree with you and i love the confidence that he is showing. I do think he will do a good job for BC this year because he is a very talented kid. On a lot of teams he could be the starter but it just happens that he has been sitting behind The Matt Ryan. I like his mobility as well. He is no Pat White, but still...

vCash
    What do you know about the BC OLB situation. What are the chances Will Thompson, from St. Peter's Prep, sees the field.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    What do you know about the BC OLB situation. What are the chances Will Thompson, from St. Peter's Prep, sees the field.
    To be honest if he isnt red-shirted i would expect him to see some playing time. Frank Spaziani is a great D-Coord and he rotates so many different players so he will see some time if he is a hard worker. I wouldnt expect him to start though because they have Brian Toal, Kevin Akins, and Mark Herzlich taking care of that!!! BEASTS!!!

vCash
    To be honest if he isnt red-shirted i would expect him to see some playing time. Frank Spaziani is a great D-Coord and he rotates so many different players so he will see some time if he is a hard worker. I wouldnt expect him to start though because they have Brian Toal, Kevin Akins, and Mark Herzlich taking care of that!!! BEASTS!!!
    he red shirtted this past year im pretty sure.
    so this year will be his second year being a redshirt freshman
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    he red shirtted this past year im pretty sure.
    so this year will be his second year being a redshirt freshman
    Yup, you're right i'm looking at their roster right now and i do see him on it. Like i said earlier i would expect him to get some playing time because BC likes to rotate all of their defensive players to keep them fresh. I like seeing Jersey kids playing for BC

vCash
    This thread will never ever surpass the hurricanes thread
    DUKE.

vCash
    and just what in the hell is this?

I think I smell a new thread in the BIG EAST section

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLER71 View Post
    This thread will never ever surpass the hurricanes thread
    Well it will if you continue to makes posts like this in it . But seriously i think people will begin to realize that if they want to talk about a real football team then it will be in this thread. I'm just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by metsfreak View Post
    and just what in the hell is this?

I think I smell a new thread in the BIG EAST section
    I think this was Bullsfans way of trying to get me not to post about Boston College in every single thread he made. I guess its kind of starting to work...

vCash

I think this was Bullsfans way of trying to get me not to post about Boston College in every single thread he made. I guess its kind of starting to work...

Havent you ever thought that maybe I like to look out for all my ACC rivals? I am sure BC fans have feelings too.

PFFT Yeah right!!! lmao

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast