Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Best remaining free-agent fits for Oakland Raiders

Earlier in the week, we looked at the remaining needs for the Oakland Raiders this offseason. Now we will take those need positions and pair them with some of the best names available in a thinning free-agent group:

Receiver: Greg Jennings, Michael Crabtree, Hakeem Nicks and Wes Welker

Thoughts: We've discussed this group a lot. It is aging and most of these players are in decline. Crabtree is the best fit, but I'm not overly thrilled about him.

Tight end: Jermaine Gresham, James Casey, Zach Miller

Thoughts: Gresham is reportedly undergoing surgery for a herniated disc and will be out for a while. The Raiders visited with him and had interest. He could be revisited later. Miller is a former Raider but he is in decline. This group is not great.

Running back: Adrian Peterson

Thoughts: The Raiders signed Trent Richardson on Tuesday so the need is not as big. As for Peterson, the only way he could be had is through a trade. The Raiders have the money to bring on Peterson's contract, but the competition may be difficult. I'm not sure the Raiders would find it worth it.

Guard: Justin Blalock, Chris Myers

Thoughts: Blalock played for new Oakland offensive line coach Mike Tice in Atlanta. Myers is a center but he can play guard. I get the feeling the Raiders may wait for the draft.

Defensive end: Anthony Spencer, Dwight Freeney, Jarvis Jenkins, Osi Umenyiora

Thoughts: This group is filled with poor fits and aging players. Not much here for the Raiders at one of their biggest need spots. Jenkins is younger and has potential.

Cornerback: No one

Thoughts: This group is all but gone. Patrick Robinson and Sterling Moore were the last of decent corners, but they signed elsewhere earlier Thursday.

Conclusion: The Raiders have about $24 million left in salary cap room. But as this list shows, there isn't much impact left in the free-agent market.

vCash
    I dont believe that there is too much out there left outside of tight end, so i say strengthen the offensive line. That way if the Raiders have a season like they did few yrs ago when they started losing O-linemen, they will have replacements. Not to mention, they might mess around and find a player that is a perfect fit for their team & beat out the projected starts... so it's a win win adding more linemen.

Can anybody say Zach Miller? What say U Raiders Nation?
    Last edited by BlackCell; 03-21-2015 at 03:08 AM.

vCash
    I want Crabtree and Amari Cooper. Crabtree maybe a DIVA but he can possibly perform with a QB that has more touch. Crabtree Streater and Amari Cooper uhhhhhh yes PLEASE. Young with Potential

vCash
    Maybe just maybe Jarvis Jenkins, otherwise I'd be waiting for cuts.

vCash
    Like Welker if he's healthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGreenThumbz View Post
    I want Crabtree and Amari Cooper. Crabtree maybe a DIVA but he can possibly perform with a QB that has more touch. Crabtree Streater and Amari Cooper uhhhhhh yes PLEASE. Young with Potential
    I agree. I'd like those 3. Carr would have a pretty good trio right there!

vCash
    I would say Crabtree @ a reasonable price, because he hasn't panned out as projected coming out of college. But, the Raiders need an experienced receivers.

vCash
    I want nothing to do with Crabtree.

Their is a reason why nobody has had a serious look at him. He's a little punk that feels too entitled.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoKnowsRaiders View Post

Their is a reason why nobody has had a serious look at him. He's a little punk that feels too entitled.
    Sort of like an Andre with no Rison (Andre Rison) meaning all arrogance, but don't show it on the field.

vCash
    I'd like Tillman even though he is old, miller would be nice just to see him back home. Freeny or Jenkins on a 1 year spot filler/cap filler deal lol. Also would not mind signing blalock and/or Myers to give us another starter and some legit depth.

vCash
    I am neither here nor there with Crabtree.

vCash
    I wouldn't mind signing Tillman, and Blalock. Both can be mentors/depth/push the current starters. As for Crabtree... I'm torn, on one hand I wouldn't mind the extra receiver, on the other I don't think he has ever been the mentor type, so where's the value if we take a young receiver in the Draft? I feel more comfortable with Streater, Jones and whoever we draft. But wouldn't complain if we did grab Crab.