Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Report: Patriots will franchise Cassell

Michael Lombardi, a former NFL executive with several teams, reported on this week's edition of Showtime's "Inside the NFL" the New England Patriots will put the franchise tag on Matt Cassel to prevent him from becoming a free agent.

In addressing the New York Jets' precarious quarterback situation, Lombardi was asked if Cassel might be the guy to help them recover from the failed Brett Favre experiment.

"The Patriots are way too smart, and I've talked to people in the organization," said Lombardi, who worked in the Cleveland Browns' front office when Bill Belichick was the coach. "They are going to franchise Matt Cassel. He's an asset and they can control their ability to trade him if they franchise him."

The franchise tag means the Patriots must give Cassel a one-year contract worth an average of the highest five quarterback salaries.

Cassel would make more money than Tom Brady, but the move would provide insurance in case Brady can't rebound from his season-ending left knee injury. Once Brady proves he's fit, the Patriots then could trade Cassel, getting something in return rather than losing him to free agency and coming away empty-handed.
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0...se-Cassel.html

Good move if and thats a big if Bradys not ready and they can always trade him.

It's a no brainer...
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

It's unexpected honestly. It's not that he isn't a valuable commodity, rather that they will have two of the highest paid quarterbacks (players in general) in the league. Either way Cassel is going to break the bank soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Kill: Graham Harrell- he's the worst thing I've ever seen... God awful. When you're watching a game thinking "why are they letting a high school cancer patient play a preseason game for make a wish foundation, he could get hurt." Then realize he's a professional, he deserves to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Walls Era View Post
    Don't talk about proper writing if you're going to use Ellipsis like an *** clown.

Wow do they know something about Tom Brady, that we don't?

Machine Gun Kelly!!!!!!

i hate the franchise tag, its such a BS way to not allow a player to move on and make his money...but smart move for the Pats, even if his injury is healing on schedule its supposed to take another year for a player to consider himself at full 100% after that injury i hear

Quote Originally Posted by theimortalone View Post
    Wow do they know something about Tom Brady, that we don't?
    talk is he's way behind in his rehab due to an infection.
    He may not be ready to step on the field next September.

The one thing I kind of disagree with is the idea that franchising him would facilitate a trade. If they franchise Cassell, it will be tough to trade him
    IMO...unless the trade is contingent on him signing a long term deal.....What team would trade draft picks for a guy who may not even be there at the end of the year? I wouldn't.
    I'll learn to read.

When you learn to spell.

Trade Brady?
    That will never happen.

The only problem I see in this is that there will be a QB controversy in training camp if Brady is healthy and is actually competing for his job with Cassel,and there will be controversy if Brady maybe struggles and Cassel starts over Brady.

Cassel is some very expensive insurance to have.

Wow that is a lot of money to pay an insurance policy. I think it is smart, but what happens if no teams meet the Pats demands for a trade? Do they pay their backup QB more then their starter, or would this kinda force them to make it a competition?

Thank Cubs Win for the sig

Quote Originally Posted by BLOMETSFAN View Post
    Wow that is a lot of money to pay an insurance policy. I think it is smart, but what happens if no teams meet the Pats demands for a trade? Do they pay their backup QB more then their starter, or would this kinda force them to make it a competition?
    There is no competition. If Brady's healthy, he starts and Cassel goes bye-bye. If Brady isn't healthy, Cassel starts. This move buys the Pats some extra time to track Brady's health.

But there will be no competition.

I think it was a very smart move,If brady does get healthy and come back they should trade cassel because he deserves to be a starter.And it looks dim for brady right now being so far behind schedule...

4 IN A ROW CONGRATS JIMMIE AND THE WHOLE HENDRICK FAMILY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi8880 View Post
    talk is he's way behind in his rehab due to an infection.
    He may not be ready to step on the field next September.

The one thing I kind of disagree with is the idea that franchising him would facilitate a trade. If they franchise Cassell, it will be tough to trade him
    IMO...unless the trade is contingent on him signing a long term deal.....What team would trade draft picks for a guy who may not even be there at the end of the year? I wouldn't.
    yea I definately dont see a trade happening. A team could just wait until the end of the season to sign him to a long term deal and save the picks. However, it just all will depend on how healthy Brady becomes.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

god dammit, after the ****ing Jets meltdown i was really interested in getting this guy. I dont know if i can stomach another year of favre.
    New York Jets
    Quote Originally Posted by CousinsEvansDUO View Post
    It's not aboutwhether you actually make the shots its about how close you are to making them.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi8880 View Post
    Not really franchising means that if he is traded there will be no cap hit for the Patriots and the next team can renegotiate a deal with him.

Honestly, I think this was a stupid move, and not just because I want Cassell as the Jets QB. If Brady is healthy, they are wasting about $14 million in cap space, which they need to improve their aging and injury prone defense, IMO. So, they would have to trade Cassell, but teams won't want his contract. Teams will wait until next year to see if he is franchised or not. So basically, they will be stuck with 2 of some of the highest paid QBs in the league. Therefore, this is a stupid move.

I ****ing hate this if its true. We just need a stop gap at QB until Brady's healthy. The Pats should be spending this money on shoring up the defense so that they can get off the field on 3rd down. If Pioli leaves hopefully the new VP/player personnel director doesnt make the same decision.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast