Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash

vCash

Cards claim Charlie Manning

The Cardinals picked up another Washington Nationals castoff today, adding lefthanded reliever Charlie Manning to their 40-man roster after claiming him off waivers.

In August, the Cardinals added infielder Felipe Lopez to their roster after the last-place Nationals cut him.

To make roster space for Manning, the Cardinals designated first baseman Josh Phelps for assignment.

Manning, 29, spent seven seasons in the minor leagues before making his major-league debut with Washington in 2008. He appeared in 57 games and was 1-3 with a 5.14 earned-run average.

Manning, 6 feet 2 and 185 pounds, held opposing batters to a .224 batting average. Lefthanders batted .203 against him.

STL Today

vCash
    Well, with the emergence of Hinckley, this is not so painful. I do think Manning had some untapped potential though, and I would like to have kept him.

Article below mentions Willie Randolph and Don Baylor as possible bench and hitting coaches...
    http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=.jsp&c_id=was

Let's go RAYS.

I guess it's good that a team from our division made it to the World Series. I think the Dodgers used all they had to destroy the Cubs.
    Last edited by Roscoe; 10-16-2008 at 08:01 AM.

vCash
    Randolph or Baylor could be very useful IMO. They would be better (hopefully) then what we have had.
    Last edited by YanksNats1987; 10-16-2008 at 01:30 PM.

vCash
    I bet we'll hear a lot about the Rays' model. Number 1 draft picks for years and years in a row. Then it all clicks. I hope the Rays being good doesn't spell more years of sucking for the Nats.

I'll take Randolph if I have to choose between the two.

I would love to have somebody who was a bench coach or similar, who won the world series, under a great coach, within the bast 20 years. Just think, we could have probably had the Rays' coach Maddon after the Nats dismissed Frank Robinson.

vCash
    I too like Randolph. I would bet he returns to the Yanks though and coach under Girardi.

vCash

Nats outright Langerhans, Speigner

WASHINGTON -- The Nationals announced on Wednesday afternoon that outfielder Ryan Langerhans and reliever Lavale Speigner cleared waivers and were outrighted to Triple-A Syracuse.

Nationals.com

vCash
    This is pretty funny and also probably not too far off...

http://mvn.com/oleanders/2008/10/uno...ance-from.html

vCash

Q&A With Ryan Zimmerman

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=.jsp&c_id=was

Actually more than the standard, safe, boring answers we get from players. Good for you Zimm.

vCash

Nats cut ties with Chad Cordero, Ryan Wagner and Pete Orr

WASHINGTON -- The Nationals outrighted right-handers Chad Cordero and Ryan Wagner and infielder Pete Orr to Triple-A Syracuse on Thursday. All three declined the assignment and elected to become free agents, according to a Major League source.

Cordero and Wagner found themselves on the shelf because of shoulder problems this past season, while Orr spent time with Triple-A Columbus and the Nationals. In 49 games for Washington, Orr hit .253 with seven RBIs.

mlb.com

vCash
    Ah, it seems like just yesterday when Cordero was pitching well. Tons of people wanted Jimbo to sell high since it was obvious Chad didn't have the velocity to stay a great closer. Then teams started figuring him out and he became an average closer.

Injuries began to bite and now it has come to this. Those were the days...

vCash

Pena picks up option

From Nationals.com

WASHINGTON -- On Thursday, the Nationals declined a $5 million club option on outfielder Wily Mo Pena, who subsequently exercised a $2 million player option for the 2009 season.

The team was expecting big things out of Pena this past season, but he ended up playing in only 64 games because of left rotator cuff surgery. Before he went on the disabled list, it appeared that Pena was hurting because his swing was different than the previous season. He was often swinging with one hand. Pena ended up hitting .205 with two home runs and 10 RBIs.

How Pena fits in the Nationals' plans in 2009 remains to be seen because Lastings Milledge is expected to play left field, while Elijah Dukes will play everyday either center or right field. Austin Kearns is also ahead of Pena on the depth chart.

vCash

An A.J. Burnett rumor

From ESPN's Jerry Crasnick

Among the other teams that could be in the mix for Burnett: the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Red Sox, Orioles and Nationals. Burnett's wife is from Maryland and he makes his offseason home in Baltimore.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3673272

^^^Highly doubtful this would happen but it is nice to get a mention somewhere for once.

vCash
    I agree. There's no reason to get this guy yet. We need a first baseman before we get our impact pitcher. If we can get both, which may be the only way to keep the fans from ignoring this team in 2009, then it could be a fun season. I would love to see the season ticket sales for 2009...I bet it's down over 15%.

And it will also be interesting to see if they really move Milledge to left field. After all his talk about how he's a natural center fielder, I think he may try to pull a Manny Ramirez on us and start lolly-gagging. He's tight with Elijah too.

Willie Mo has a lot of proving to do. He is a bad fielder with a bad arm and was horrible with the bat. I imagine we could give him to somebody as long as we pay 3/4 of his contract.

I saw a story about Cordero saying he would be open to coming back to the Nats now.

I think Hanrahan needs to attend closer school over the off-season. He gave up way too many walks and some home runs. Not good.

vCash
    Ya Cordero could still end up coming back. Probably a minor league deal with incentives if so. It is a shame what happened to him and maybe he will regain some form.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast