Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Nick Johnson, who has been slow to heal since getting hurt last month, will undergo a diagnostic arthroscopy to evaluate ligaments in his wrist.

He could still make it back this season, but it's not something anyone should be counting on. Johnson was originally diagnosed with a torn tendon sheath last month, but it seems his injury may be more complicated than that. Dmitri Young could be the Nationals' primary first baseman the rest of the way.

rotoworld

vCash
    Matt Chico is expected to undergo season-ending Tommy John elbow surgery Thursday.

Chico earned a demotion to Triple-A in mid-May after going 0-6 with a 6.19 ERA for the Nationals and was shut down with elbow soreness a short time later. He'll be out for 12-18 months, putting his status for 2009 in serious doubt.

rotoworld

vCash
    Since good news is hard to come by these days, I thought I would spotlight somebody who is making his way thru the minors in our system. Someone who could be a September call-up and possibly compete for a spot on next years roster. So lets get started...

Bill Rhinehart, 1B, 6'0", 202 lbs. Bats: L Throws: L

After spending 65 games in Low A he was promoted to Potomac and spent a week with the P-Nats before moving on up to AA. This 11th round pick out of Arizona last year is 23 and on the fast track (like others have been) with quick and efficient promotions. Overall this season, Bill is hitting .302 with 12 hrs and 71 rbi's. OBP/SLG/OPS: .360/.508/.868

vCash
    Heck...bring him up now. He may be as overmatched as Bernadina, but he can learn at the highest level.

I was wondering how the draft looks next year, because the Nats will almost certainly have the first pick. I'd almost expect Bowden to trade the pick (if he's still around).

vCash
    haha I think its a little soon, but it wouldn't surprise me if he made his way to AAA and played well before getting called up. College kids can hit. He's out of the Pac-10 so he faced quite a bit of great pitchers.

Next year is so far off but there are some good prospects out there (i.e. Dustin Ackley, 1B/OF, N. Carolina & Ryan Jackson, SS, Miami). If we end up with #1, I wouldn't expect Bowden to trade it unless an outstanding offer comes forth. Having the first pick can provide the chance of having a franchise changing player.

vCash
    Nationals recalled OF Kory Casto from Triple-A Columbus.

Casto was sent down last week, but was able to return with Elijah Dukes being placed on the disabled list on Tuesday. The 26-year-old has gone 9-for-50 in 23 games with the Nationals so far this season, but hit .315/.400/.457 in 92 at-bats at Triple-A. He'll likely be a fourth outfielder in Washington.

rotoworld

vCash
    Thought I would continue the trend of giving some info on guys who are hitting well down in the minors.

Leonard Davis, IF/OF, 5' 10", 195 lbs. Bats: L Throws: R.

Davis (8th Round pick in 2004) seems to have finally found the hitting stroke. The 24 year old started off the season in Potomac and like Rhinehart, Leonard was promoted to AA where he is currently crushing the ball. So far through 72 games Leonard is hitting .348 with 17 hrs and 44 rbi's. OBP/SLG/OPS: .421/.625/1.046

vCash
    Yesterday I talked about Davis, and low and behold he went 4-5 with a HR in the game last night. Because of that, he was promoted to Columbus and will start playing there. Looks like we could see this kid in the next month...

vCash
    If he's gonna bat .800 with with a slugging percentage over 1000, I'll take him tonight.

vCash
    Nationals released outfielder Alex Escobar.

Escobar had been playing at Triple-A, where he hit just .257/.318/.387 with six homers and 31 RBI in 67 games.

rotoworld

vCash
    Nationals reinstated C Johnny Estrada from the 15-day disabled list.

That's four catchers and counting for Washington, who has Paul Lo Duca seeing time in the outfield. Estrada will see occasional work off the bench and in pinch-hitting situations.

rotoworld

vCash
    Lastings Milledge (groin) is expected to come off the disabled list Friday.

Out since June 28 with a strained groin, Milledge has gone 2-for-12 during a brief minor league rehab assignment. He figures to resume playing nearly every day in center field, with manager Manny Acta indicating Wednesday that the hot-hitting Willie Harris will remain in the lineup as a left fielder. "The way Willie is playing right now it would be very tough to get him out of the lineup," Acta said.

rotoworld

vCash
    Johnny Estrada designated for assignment. Gone.

vCash
    An MRI on Cristian Guzman's thumb came back negative, and he remains listed as day-to-day.

Guzman entered Tuesday's game as a pinch-runner after missing a third straight start. It's uncertain whether he'll rejoin the starting lineup tonight.

rotoworld

vCash
    Ryan Zimmerman has been sidelined with a bruised right hand since being hit by a pitch Thursday, but manager Jim Bowden said Sunday that he's expected to avoid the disabled list.

The Washington Post reports that Zimmerman "sat on his clubhouse chair, right hand wrapped in bandaging thick enough to look like a boxing glove" Sunday, but Zimmerman said that he's "just waiting for the swelling to go down."

rotoworld

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast