According to reports, the Milwaukee Bucks may be set to sign Jared Cunningham to help shore up their back court depth amidst their current injury crisis.

It’s been no secret of late that the Milwaukee Bucks have been going through something of a tough stretch when it comes to injuries, yet a move to add a new face to the roster would still come somewhat out of the left-field.

Having lost Steve Novak only a matter of days after adding him to their roster, the Bucks have since gone through what has felt like a grueling carousel of injury woes. Michael Carter-Williams followed with a hip problem that required season ending surgery, while O.J. Mayo became the most recent casualty when a fall at home led to a fracture in his lower leg.

With Greivis Vasquez sidelined for a considerable period due to his own recovery from surgery to remove bone spurs, and John Henson only set to return to action on Tuesday night after a 20 game absence, it’s no exaggeration to say that Milwaukee’s depth has been down to its bare bones.

If reports from ESPN’s Marc Stein are to be believed, help could soon be at hand, as the Bucks turn to Jared Cunningham currently of the Idaho Stampede in the D-League.

If Cunningham’s name sounds familiar to you, that’s most likely because you’ve caught him in action before at one of his various NBA stops.

Cunningham was the 24th overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, and has had spells with the Dallas Mavericks, Atlanta Hawks, Sacramento Kings, Los Angeles Clippers and Cleveland Cavaliers in the years since.

D-League assignments have been plentiful in that time, but in no season have they proved less frequent than in this current campaign.

Cunningham played 40 of his 80 total NBA games in a Cavaliers jersey this season, where although his minutes weren’t plentiful, he found himself called upon on a regular basis.

Cunningham is an offense first guard who primarily plays as a shooting guard, although he does also have limited ball-handling capabilities. In spite of only being 6’4″, Cunningham is athletic and as a result is always capable of some impressive highlight dunks.

Cunningham is far from a lights out shooter, with a career field goal percentage of 35.2 percent and a 30.9 percent notch from distance, but he is a player who lives on confidence and can get streaky when the shots start to fall.

Any move to add Cunningham into the mix would require further decisions for the Bucks as they don’t currently have an open roster spot.

As I wrote about last week, the Bucks do have the potential to apply for a hardship exception from the league which would grant them a 16th roster spot, although that would only last for as long as Greivis Vasquez remains out.

Judging from Vasquez’s thoughts in recent conversation with Charles Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal, that’s a date that may not be too far off in the future either. In Vasquez’s own words:

I’m four weeks ahead. I’m probably going to come back very soon, probably next week start practicing with the team. People thought I was going to miss the whole season, but I’m not.

Of course there is also the possibility of the Bucks waiving Steve Novak or O.J. Mayo with the duo’s contracts set to expire and injury meaning they can play no further part on the court with the team
http://behindthebuckpass.com/2016/03...ed-cunningham/