1 1.96%
  • 10 years

4 7.84%
  • 15 or more

2 3.92%
Page 191 of 257 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 3848

Thread: The CFL Thread

How do you take away the Ticats and Argos? Honestly.... the guy who makes the schedule should be fired.

Its a ****ing tradition

take away the bombers/riders game

it ruins my whole labor day weekend

But seriously... why would they ever do that.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh
    Head of the Bandwagon to make tunnicliffderek the Miami Dolphins Manager, Guaranteeing us another 72' season

Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    i would trade our first,our 1st next yr and cam wake for aj green.Locker isnt a project hed start day one
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    i think cutler is worth 2 1st rounders and a 3rd thats just me though

In response, the Cats released Deandre Cobb. I'll miss him but he didn't live up to expectations this year.

Toronto
    AARRRGOOOOSSS
    Boyd
    Damon Allen
    none
    basketball, hockey, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, tennis, golf... ETCETERA
    AARRRGOOOSSSSSS

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

Welcome to the forums fellow Leafs fan.

Go Ticats!

Quote Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
    1. Location- Ottawa, Ontario
    2. Favorite CFL Team- Calgary Stampeders (until Ottawa gets a team back)
    3. Favorite Player- Jermaine Copeland
    4. Favorite Former Player- Mike Pringle
    5. What other teams in the CFL you root for?- None
    6. Other sports you enjoy? What other sporting teams do you root for?- Hockey, Baseball, Golf, Football, Basketball; Senators, Red Sox, Colts, Raptors
    7. Anything else you care to share?- Umm...I hate the Gliebermans. Also, I'll more than likely be playing in the OHL within the next 2 years

my first season getting into the cfl

What team should I pick and why?

Blue Bomber Coaches work hard to seal up draft

Winnipeg Free Press - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...tball/bombers/

Blue Bomber Coaches work hard to seal up draft
    By Ed Tait

"With the first overall choice in the 2011 CFL Canadian Draft, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are pleased to select..."
    It's been a long time since a CFL draft of Canadian talent opened up with those words -- since 1975, to be exact -- when the Bombers selected Syracuse offensive tackle Steve Scully first overall. Now, the fact that Scully didn't morph into a star and the Bombers' inglorious draft history is a debate for another day, another time.

Back then, it's also worth noting, the CFL allowed for territorial exemptions, essentially giving every team a couple of picks from a region within their own backyard. So, technically, Scully wasn't the first player chosen.

But the point here is this: it's been eons since the Bombers could kick off a draft by taking the player they covet the most. And while they have fielded some phone calls from rivals inquiring about dealing the pick, GM Joe Mack has hinted they'll likely hang onto to No. 1 and grab a player they feel can become a difference maker -- at the very least a useful starter -- for years to come.

"We're in a unique spot because we can take who we want, we don't have to figure out what somebody else is doing," said Bomber head coach Paul LaPolice earlier this week. "I can tell you I know this club hasn't been in this position for a long, long time. People have called us about it and I'm sure Mr. Mack will listen, but it will allow us to fix an area that needs to be fixed."

With that in mind, many may wonder what kind of preparation goes into making this historic pick, how much homework has the club done already and what is left to be done before the proceedings on May 8?

First things first, let's begin by emphasizing the Bombers will hardly close their eyes and then blindly throw darts at a swack of names pinned up on a draft board.

The road to being prepared to make the first overall pick began last spring when Kyle Walters, the club's special-teams coach and Canadian Draft co-ordinator, began studying the 2011 prospects participating in the 2010 CIS East-West Game. It continued during the 2010 CFL/CIS season and was then cranked up in December when Walters sifted through the draft list provided by the league of every player who might be eligible for this spring's selection process.

And since then the cramming has only become that much more intense as Walters has spoken to every CIS coach about their draft-eligible players while Bomber staffers with contacts down south have worked on NCAA coaches with Canadians on their rosters. Just this Thursday, for example, LaPolice spoke with the offensive line coach at Rice University about top-rated prospect Scott Mitchell.

"We want to make sure that if we pass over somebody it's because we simply think he's not good enough, not because he slipped through the cracks or we didn't have enough information on him," Walters explained. "We have working files on everybody."

The Bombers, like all CFL teams, will have a specific ranking system for this draft -- although the leg work done by this current regime is likely the most detailed it's been since former assistant coach Bob Dyce handled much of the off-season research on prospects.

Each of the position coaches have rated and graded prospects on a specific scale, answering questions ranging from foot speed to toughness to character. The club will have at least 10 players rated at each position and is now close to taking the final step in a long and complicated process: ranking the players overall, regardless of where they line up on the field.

"That's the most difficult process: the overall ranking," Walters admitted. "We have to determine, for example, whether the third best offensive-lineman prospect is better than the second-best linebacker or the fourth receiver. Coming up with your master list can be a challenge, but it's critical. That way when it comes to the third round, it comes down to what we need, who is available and where do we rank him on the board and be firm with it and believe in it."

Even with all that, the CFL Canadian Draft provides other key challenges. This year's top prospect, for example, is Baylor O-lineman Phillip Blake. But Blake is going back to school next year and has already popped up on the NFL radar screen as a prospect for 2012, much the same way Danny Watkins -- also of Baylor and drafted fourth overall by the B.C. Lions last year -- has for this year's NFL draft. The consensus is that Watkins is so good he may never pull on a Lions jersey.

Mitchell, ranked second overall, has already had his name linked to the Bombers and the first overall pick. But Rice's NFL Pro Day is Monday and depending on how well the versatile lineman showcases his skills it could dramatically affect whether he hears his name called first in the CFL draft.

"That's definitely something we have to consider," said Walters. "Is there NFL interest? Are we ever going to see him? That's a unique part of the puzzle that has to be fit in when we sit down to discuss all this. Plus, there are five or six good junior players -- including Phillip Blake, Tyler Holmes (OL, Tulsa), Moe Petrus (OL, Connecticut), the kicker at Montana (Brody McKnight) -- you have to discuss but wait on for a year, maybe longer."

The Bombers, understandably, are keeping their draft cards clutched closely to their vest right now. The party line -- and it's a theme they'll repeat over and over again over the next month and a half -- is there are three or four players they have pegged as first overall candidates.

But while who will go No. 1 remains a mystery, what isn't is the team's desire to prove the CFL Canadian Draft need not be a the crapshoot so many have described it as in years past. Walters, LaPolice and Mack believe in a simple theory: the margin of error on draft day decreases significantly with more preparation.

"You can always find guys who succeeded that were drafted late and you can find guys who were first rounders who were busts in any sport and any draft," Walters explained. "But if you take this seriously, do your work and do your due diligence then your percentages increase that a bust is not going to happen.

"All you can ask for is to make a good sound decision based on the data you've compiled. We'll be ready and when we make our picks they'll be made with a great deal of belief in our process and the work we did."

Wow, didn't know they haven't had a 1st overall pick in that long.

It will be interesting to see where they go with it.

It's impossible to narrow it down to just one team without ever watching a game. But I can teach you a little about each team...

There are 8 teams in the CFL currently, 4 in the East and 4 in the West.

East:

Montreal Alouettes:
    Back to Back CFL champs. They are the class of the league, have dominated it for years but haven't always won. They have the best quarterback in the league but he is getting up there in age.

Toronto Argonauts:
    Young team that shocked a few people and played really well last year. Their quarterback is Cleo Lemon, who I'm sure you remember from his days as a Dolphin. They often bring in the big named players or people from the NFL.

Hamilton Tiger Cats:
    My team . Good young team that has made the playoffs in both of the past two years after a decade of shittyness. They are still young and improving but they have potential to really compete this year.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers:
    Team that did awful last year, finished dead last in the league. Don't expect too much success out of them in the near future, although it isn't impossible with the way the CFL is.

West:
    Saskatchewan RoughRiders:
    Probably the best team in the West the past few years. Made it to the past 2 CFL finals but lost them both. Great fans, probably the best and craziest in the league (not much to do in Regina).

Calgary Stampeders:
    Best team standing wise in the West last year, turned a few heads with a very strong season. Talented team with arguably the second best QB in the league with Henry Burris (another NFLer in case you remember his time in Chicago)

Edmonton Eskimos:
    Like the Bombers, they were the only other team to miss the playoffs. They can compete though, won a grey cup (CFL Championship) not too long ago and they have a great quarterback in Ricky Ray. They just missed the playoffs so their situation isn't close to being the same as the Bombers.

BC Lions:
    Played like **** to start the season last year, then came back hard and had tons of success to make the playoffs. Pretty decent team, the East is better than the West right now but the Lions should fight for a playoffs spot again.

Here is a highlight tape of one of the best games of football I have ever seen. Yes, all of football. In 2009, the Als won the Grey Cup against the RoughRiders with a last second field goal (literally, 0 seconds left on the clock and he missed the first try but got another chance because the Riders had too many men on the field). The first game of 2010 was a rematch between these 2 teams and it was one of the best games ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UWbBOwj3zg

Nothing like Rider Pride..we're everywhere

too bad they cant draft Cam Newton, that would be interesting

Jyles to Argos for 4th Pick