Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cardinals sign Bryan Pena to 2/$5,000,000 deal

Will be the backup to Molina the next two years

He is a quality defensive catcher, certainly not Molina's equivalent, but this provides us some stability behind Molina that Cruz just can't give us.

I'm glad they made this a priority. I wanted Alex Avila, but I can imagine he is holding out for a starting job still.

Pena isn't much offensively as most catchers aren't. He is an inpatient slap hitter who has a decent line drive rate. Won't give you much power, but might run into the occasional home run.

This is such a difficult issue, having depth behind Molina. It's the only position on the diamond where quality depth can't be used from elsewhere. It's not like you can sign a quality backup middle infielder that can expect to get a lot of starts....if Molina is healthy, he's playing, and that means the guy you signed has to be okay with that. Which really limits what you can go after.

If Molina were to miss a significant amount of time, the team probably wouldn't want Pena being the everyday catcher, but they could survive with him being there. The last two years, he got a good amount of chances for the Reds with Mesoraco's injuries, and he continued to do what he is. An 80 wRC+ hitting catcher that will give you good defense.

I'm just glad they addressed this area of weakness. Now you can breath a little easier going into the season. If Molina were to have a major injury, then they may look to address with another catcher, but Pena can certainly relinquish this burden some.

I approve of the move.

I love the move. Supposed to be a great guy, more importantly he's a good defensive catcher and offensively he's livable. He will get a fair share of hits

He's actually a good hitter in the sense he makes great amount of contact and controls the strike zone well. And when I say good hitter I mean literally his hit ability not an overall good hitter haha if he had any patience and a touch of power he would be a starting catcher somewhere

His name is Brayan Pena..

Yeah, Brayan. Pronounced like Bryan but spelled like Brayan. Didn't even notice that

Seems like a good signing. Someone the organization will be confident in giving Molina more days off with.

Yeah I'm much more confident in Pena compared to Cruz when it comes to giving Molina days off or if he gets hurt

I'm glad the Cardinals addressed this, and a little surprised.
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Shlumpledink View Post
    I'm glad the Cardinals addressed this, and a little surprised.
    Seems like the Cardinals finally learned the lesson of the past few seasons of when Molina breaks down the team breaks down.

Cardinals sign Bryan Pena to 2/$5,000,000 deal

A backup catcher that can hit yes!

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

^ he can't really hit that well....

He has a 75 lifetime wRC+ and a .300 career OBP with a .352 Slugging.

He's gonna slap a few singles, but he is a negative offensive player. Even the league average catcher is a 85 wRC+

I think that he's atleast better than Cruz offensively. I like this signing and hopefully more good signing or resignings come forth for us.

Tony Cruz got traded to the Royals. Backing up Perez isn't going to be a bad gig for him.

He got to backup Yadi in his prime and now Perez entering his prime. Definitely not a bad gig haha

Can you imagine getting paid how he does to sit around, play a few ball games a year and do some scouting reports. Talk about the life haha

I've always heard people joke that if you are going to play a sport, play baseball. Lots of money to be made if you are a star

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast