Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 86 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Stalberg is second in AHL rookie scoring with 13 pts in 11 games, only two points behind Logan Couture.

vCash
    Pretty good considering how high people are on Couture

vCash
    Where do you guys think Stef is on the prospect list.

I have him definately outside my top 5 and probabally outside my top 7 at the moment

vCash
    Based on the 6'2" Belarussian, Stefanovich's skill set and numbers the last 2 seasons he should be at the top of the list because he is just that good. If he puts it together he is an Alex Semin type scorer with a bullet shot and great speed. 22 points in 18 games in the Q so far isn't overly impressive but its still good and his skill set really cant be ignored.

Kadri is clearly the number 1 guy without question and after him is Gustavsson by default but you cant ignore Stefanovich's skill set. If I had to give you his chances of being an NHLer I would probably only give you 50%. Worst case he doesnt make the NHL but his worst case as an NHLer is probably Nik Hagman, best case as I said before Alex Semin. Stalberg is proving everyday that he should be next on this list. He has a gun shot and great speed. Bozak looks a little overhyped as of now but based on his skill set he should be next. Phillipe Paradis, Jimmy Hayes, Kenny Ryan, and Christian Hanson figure to be the next 4 prospects. Their potentials of being a power forward and really their "cant miss" nature since they are either top 6 power forwards or bottom 6 bangers probably keep them ahead of DiDo. Jesse Blacker is another guy in this mix as he is similar to Paradis, Hayes, Ryan, and Hanson potential wise. James Reimer and Carl Gunnarsson are the wildcards here. Reimer has played great for the Marlies and is proving that he actually is a legitimate NHL goaltending prospect. Could turn out to be a starting goalie for us one day but looks like a cant miss backup goalie soon. Carl Gunnarsson looks great right now and I am going to put him 6th on my list. After those 13 there is really nobody so I will arbitrarily rank the next 2 based on how awesome their names are

1. Nazem Kadri
    2. Jonas Gustavsson
    3. Mikhail Stefanovich
    4. Viktor Stalberg
    5. Tyler Bozak
    6. Carl Gunnarsson
    7. James Reimer
    8. Jimmy Hayes
    9. Phillipe Paradis
    10. Kenny Ryan
    11. Jesse Blacker
    12. Christian Hanson
    13. Chris DiDomenico
    14. Dale Mitchell
    15. Jerome Flaake

vCash
    But regarding Stef, he had a terrible preseason and rookie camp and couldnt make the Marlies. Hes now having a pretty mediocre year considering what he did last year and the fact that he is 20 and in the QJ. Paradis is currently out performing him

vCash
    1.Kadri
    2.Gusty
    3.Stalberg
    4.Stefanovich
    5.Gunarrson
    6.Bozak
    7.Blacker
    8.Reimer
    9.Hayes
    10.Paradis
    11.Ryan
    12.D'Amigo
    13.Hanson
    14.Flaake
    15.Dido

That's my take on our prospects...I follow prospects pretty closely And I'm pretty high on most guys in the top 10 however, there's definitely some "wild cards" in the system.
    I'm a big fan of Hayes, loads of potential with this guy, a big kid who can skate and has a bullet shot, power forward potential, he's just starting to get minutes at Boston College. He's a long-term project and likely won't see him in the AHL for another 2 years or so. Stefanovich is another roll of the dice prospect, a pure goal scorer, loads of skill but it's a common theme with those Russian/Soviet players, they don't always bring it mentally.

This guy has as much potential as anyone of our prospects, the difference between guys like him and Kadri is the fact that Kadri brings it much more often and although Kadri is also an inconsistent player, his effort level is always there where as Stef's isn't. D'Amigo is yet another boom or bust prospect in the system, he was possibly our best pick last June, personally I pencilled him to go around the second round but size was an issue as well as decision making, he simply needs to mature and the NCAA is exactly what he needs. Like Hayes, we won't hear much from this guy for a few years.

Another very interesting player is Blacker. With so few defensive prospects in the system, we'd better hope this guy can be an NHL'er down the road. He's a Toronto boy who recently asked for a trade out of Windsor due to a lack of PT, was traded to Owen Sound where he's getting tons of minutes. I actually like the fact that the guy asked to be traded, I want to see our prospects get important minutes and continue to develope, he was given limited minutes on a stacked team with ridiculous skill up front and on the back end(Spits). He's now the man for the Owen Sound Attack and he's being relied on heavily. He's been slated as a future top 4 d-man and I think it's very possible. A great skater with a bullet of a shot but at times he tries to do a little too much but as he seasons a little bit, he should settle down. Don't be shocked to see this kid on our roster in 3 years or so. His skating ability alone combined with a bullet shot may warrant him a callup and given some PP time with the big club down the road.

Flaake could jump up everyone's list if he comes over the pond after this season. It's been well documented how he wants to play in Canada in the CHL but because of a pro contract he signed with a German team, he legally has to stay in Europe. He wants to be here but simply can't until next season. His team won't let him go yet, they give him almost no ice time and he was demoted to a tier II type league this season but hey, atleast he'll get more PT.

vCash
    who was that other goalie in the skills comp,is he any good???-

vCash
    The only goalie in the system who's worth talking about is Reimer. We also have Grant Rollheiser but I honestly expect him to just fade away like many goalie prospects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ktownguy31 View Post
    who was that other goalie in the skills comp,is he any good???-
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    The only goalie in the system who's worth talking about is Reimer. We also have Grant Rollheiser but I honestly expect him to just fade away like many goalie prospects.
    The Leafs just signed Andrew Engelage. He was just called up from the Reading Royals to the Toronto Marlies. The kid is HUGE and has pretty good mechanics. He is a high reward type guy because he is 6'5" but he is likely gonna be nothing.

vCash
    Watching the goalie dominos fall is interesting because guys get chances they normally wouldn't have due to a guy 2 or 3 levels up going down.

vCash
    im really high on stefanovich this guys got the skill set to make it, his worth ethic needs to improve and he can be a legit scorer in the NHL.

vCash
    Has anyone seen Kadri's production this year? He's 10th in OHL scoring... and the funny thing is, he's played a lot less games than anyone else.
    - Player--------------Team------GP G A PTS PIM
    #1. Tyler Seguin Plymouth Whalers 47 37 47 84 48
    #2. Taylor Hall Windsor Spitfires 44 34 47 81 38
    #3. Taylor Beck Guelph Storm 47 28 44 72 40

#10. Nazem Kadri London Knights 39 26 37 63 85

Kadri is avg 1.62 pts a game. If you avg that out over 47 games (the total Seguin has played) Kadri would have 76pts. Thatd be 3rd in OHL scoring.

I think we have outselfs a STEAL at #7
    Last edited by Gup; 02-03-2010 at 12:43 AM.

vCash
    Kadri sits 9th in OHL scoring with 71 pts in 44 games, he's played 8 games less than Seguin who leads the league with 90 pts in 52 games.

Keith Aulie since being traded has played 5 games for the Marlies posting no points and having a +1 rating with 6 pim.

vCash
    In my eyes Stalberg has the most upside,but chances are they are all second tier players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    Stalberg is second in AHL rookie scoring with 13 pts in 11 games, only two points behind Logan Couture.
    Didn't we trade the Couture pick for Toskala?

Page 7 of 86 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast