Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    Hanson had 1 goal and 4 assists today in the Marlies win. He's been playing great hockey recently.
    im sure alot of marlies had a good game today lol but thats good to hear i felt sorry for him last year

vCash
    I guess we can add Gardiner to our list of defensive prospects. Gardiner, Blacker, Aulie, Mikus, Holzer, Gysbers...that's not bad at all and I'm sure I'm missing someone. That doesn't even include our other young d-man in Phaneuf, Schenn, Gunnar. I think we're pretty set on defense now it's time to load up up front.

vCash
    The last 2 big trades that have gone down seem to have me more excited about the prospects than the actual pros coming to the Leafs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito Santana View Post
    The last 2 big trades that have gone down seem to have me more excited about the prospects than the actual pros coming to the Leafs.
    our d prospects are looking sick.. so jacked as well...

we need to steal forward prospects...

vCash
    Hockey's Future has updated their rankings order of the leafs specs, since the beauch trade.. click for the complete top 20 but here's the new top 5, shakes out:

Jake Gardiner debuts in the second spot on the Maple Leafs top 20 after being acquired from the Anaheim Ducks on February 9th. Nazem Kadri also remains the top prospect for the Maple Leafs, while Keith Aulie, James Reimer, and Ben Scrivens make big strides up the rankings. Matt Frattin, Simon Gysbers, and Josh Nicholls also make their debuts in the top 20.

1. (1) Nazem Kadri, C, 8.0 C
    Acquired: 1st round, 7th overall in 2009

As an AHL rookie, Nazem Kadri has adjusted nicely after a rough start with the Maple Leafs that saw him record only six assists in 17 games. With the Marlies, he has evolved into a more responsible player with the puck without sacrificing his dynamic offensive ability. Earlier in the year he had a penchant for bad turnovers at inopportune times, but has cut down in that area of his game. While he's unlikely to compete for a Selke Trophy anytime soon, it's an area that needed improvement (and continues to improve) as he looks to jump to the NHL fulltime.

Kadri's game is easily identifiable when he's on the ice courtesy of his silky smooth hands and highlight reel ability. Kadri is one of the top producing rookies in the AHL scoring close to a point per-game pace. He has 10 goals and 17 assists in 28 games this season, and is in the top 15 for rookie scoring even though he missed time when he was recalled in November.

2. (NR) Jake Gardiner, D, 8.0 C
    Acquired via trade with the Anaheim Ducks, February 9th, 2011

Making his debut with on the Maple Leafs prospect list is Jake Gardiner; a smooth-skating two-way defender from the University of Wisconsin. As a key factor in the deal that saw the Maple Leafs ship Francois Beauchemin to Anaheim, Gardiner brings a different dynamic to a Maple Leafs system ripe with defensive-minded defenders.

Gardiner, a former first-round pick (17th overall) in 2008, has already had his expectations tempered by media outlets as a future top-pairing defender, but his production to date is hard to ignore. The third-season NCAA defender is third in the nation in scoring for defenseman with eight goals and 25 assists in 32 games and sports an impressive plus-20.

There is a good chance that Gardiner makes his move to the pros after this season. If he does, he'll be joining a young Marlies defensive core.

3. (9) Keith Aulie, D, 7.0 B
    Acquired: via trade with the Calgary Flames, January 31st, 2010

Keith Aulie has been a tower of power for the Marlies this season, used in critical defensive situations and maximizing his physical prowess all over the ice. While he has an interesting combination of size, skating ability and willingness to rush the puck it's unlikely he develops a high offensive ceiling.

The Beauchemin trade to Anaheim has opened the door for Aulie to take a prominent role on the Maple Leafs blue line. The trade is a perfect example of how critical a team's development system is - and how the Maple Leafs are starting to turn out NHL players. Aulie's play at the AHL level (and brief stint with the Maple Leafs earlier in the year) allowed general manager Brian Burke to move Beauchemin to fill other weaknesses in the organization. Whether or not Aulie's ready for the long 82-game season is anyone's guess, but he's shown poise and stability beyond his years this season.

4. (10) James Reimer, G, 7.5 C
    Acquired: 4th Round, 99th overall in 2006

Arguably the most impressive prospect this year has been the emergence of James Reimer. It's hard to argue anything other than the fact James Reimer has been under the radar for quite some time. He's been in the system, playing steady hockey since 2006, but instead of garnering recognition for his play he's been in the shadows of Justin Pogge, Tukka Rask, and (up until recently) Jonas Gustavsson. Maybe it's due to his non-flashy style of game, injuries or the development road he's taken, but Reimer has seemingly arrived.

Reimer's stats on a bottom-five NHL team are impressive in a limited sample. In his 12 games played, Reimer holds a 6-4-1 record, a 2.39 goals against average, a .930 save percentage and show no signs of slowing down.

Still, expectations need to be tempered for this 22-year-old goaltender. While his play is promising so far, his career is still very green. A volatile Maple Leafs fan base can quickly sour a player's career after a few poor games.

5. (5) Jussi Rynnas, G, 7.5 C
    Acquired via Free Agency, April 2010

Jussi Rynnas's season has been the definition of inconsistent. There have been extreme highs and extreme lows throughout the first half of the year. He was off to a rocky start in his first few games in October going winless in three and posting a 3.41 goals against average to go along with a .877 save percentage. November saw a huge rebound to Rynnas's game posting a 1.33 goals against and a .957 save percentage in 10 games. In the 14 games that have followed, Rynnas's season has been a rollercoaster of good and bad stretches. To date, Rynnas has a record of 9-14-3 and has a 2.80 goals against average and a .909.

It's not uncommon for European goaltenders to come with their fair share of inconsistencies, but Rynnas continues to battle through them. While Ben Scrivens has been the more consistent out of the two, management has continued to back Rynnas - sending Scrivens back to the Reading Royals (ECHL) at various points of the season.

With Reimer on the Maple Leafs, and Gustavsson sidelined with another heart issue, it should allow Rynnas a chance to see more game action. He'll have to be sharp, as Scrivens is also very capable of taking the Marlies starting role.

vCash
    I think a few years down the road when people are still crying about the Kessel deal we can always point to how Burke managed to not only pick up Aulie but Gardiner as well. These two guys are likely going to play big roles for us. Another young offensive d-man and we're pretty set. We don't know what we have in Jesse Balcker yet and whether he can be that guy but he's got a chance.

vCash
    ^^ Gardiner, Aulie, Schenn is solid, presuming they develop near their ceilings.. We look promising in net...raw, but promising.. now the forwards, burke.. kadri, mckegg but we need plenty more..

vCash
    Maybe the Marlies don't need Voros :
    http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ergei-shirokov

vCash
    It's not often Jerry D'Amigo draws comparisons to Taylor Hall.

Then again, until recently there was very little the two had in common. That all changed on Feb. 3 when the Toronto Maple Leafs reassigned the American forward to the Ontario Hockey League's Kitchener Rangers. Now that D'Amigo is back in Hall's old stomping grounds in the OHL, his new head coach finds it a fitting comparison.

"He's a version, to me, of a Taylor Hall-type player," Kitchener Rangers head coach and general manager Steve Spott said. "He can skate, he's strong on the puck, he can kill penalties -- and he's a threat when he kills penalties -- and he's on your first unit power-play.

"He's that type of an impact player for us."

And yet, he had always been an absentee impact player for the Rangers. Kitchener took a flyer on D'Amigo in the 12th round of the OHL's priority selection four years ago hoping he would one day become their impact player.

D'Amigo, however, opted not to follow in the footsteps of his former United States National Team Development Program teammate, Jeremy Morin, who joined Kitchener a year ago. Instead, D'Amigo retained his college commitment to RPI with intentions of going pro this season.
    Now the Rangers have the potent sniper it sorely lacked when the Carolina Hurricanes and Chicago Blackhawks seemingly spoiled the party by holding onto Jeff Skinner and Morin, respectively.

"I liked our team," Spott said. "I thought we were a good, solid hockey club, but when you add a world class player like Jerry -- a guy with his experience and the level that he's coming from -- he just makes everybody better around him."

By all accounts, D'Amigo hasn't sulked at the notion that being sent to junior is a demotion of sorts. He is already one point shy of equaling his totals from the AHL in just seven OHL games.

"He's come in with a real good attitude," said Spott, who will meet with D'Amigo's parents this weekend for the first time since their son joined the team. "I think obviously everyone wants to stay in professional hockey, but he realizes he has to find the offensive touch back in his game."

The 19-year old -- whose 20th birthday is on Saturday -- tried putting a positive spin on it.

"Like (Toronto Maple Leafs general manager) Brian Burke said, it's a positive outlook," D'Amigo offered. "I'm doing this for my development, trying to make the big club next year."

D'Amigo is certainly taking the business approach. Among those decisions was closing his Twitter account upon arriving in Kitchener.

"I'm off that," he said. "It's just one of those things where I have to focus on what I have to do and what I came here to do."

Kitchener captain Gabriel Landeskog said the addition gave the team a spark in the dressing room. The line of Landeskog, D'Amigo and Michael Catenacci brings a little bit of everything, but perhaps most notably, instant chemistry.

"We were in a little bit of a rough stretch there then Jerry came in and added a lot to our hockey club," Landeskog said. "He can play in every situation. He's really helpful to our hockey club and he creates a lot on the ice."

The prevailing theory amongst those within the Western Conference is that it is open for the taking this season. Not one team asserted itself as a dominant threat that is head and shoulders above the rest of the pack.

The addition of D'Amigo may give the Rangers the added ammunition necessary to make yet another title run this season
    link

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nstojic View Post
    As good as it is to always hear our buds are doing well, I think I'd be quite disappointed if he went down to the O and didn't dominate...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    I think a few years down the road when people are still crying about the Kessel deal we can always point to how Burke managed to not only pick up Aulie but Gardiner as well. These two guys are likely going to play big roles for us. Another young offensive d-man and we're pretty set. We don't know what we have in Jesse Balcker yet and whether he can be that guy but he's got a chance.
    I dont see why any of this is relavant to the Kessel deal.

vCash
    D'Amigo just scored his 6th goal on the PP. Game is on Sportsnet Ont. Beauty goal too,skated out from the corner and put it in far side.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    I dont see why any of this is relavant to the Kessel deal.
    My point was that everyone is going to cry about the Kessel deal when Burke has done pretty well bringing in other assets.

vCash
    prospect list updated

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    My point was that everyone is going to cry about the Kessel deal when Burke has done pretty well bringing in other assets.
    He has but the Kessel deal is still a huge **** up and should deservingly be bashed

Page 23 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast