Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    vCash
    i was just looking at the rankings of our players on hockeysfuture.com and some of them seem interesting

9 = Elite player -- e.g. Sakic, Lidstrom, Broduer
    8 = first line forward/top pair dman/no 1 goaltender -- e.g. Elias, Ohlund, Kolzig
    7 = 2nd liner/2nd pair dman/journeyman no 1 goalie -- e.g. Arnott, Sydor, Roloson
    6 = 3rd line forward/dman/backup goalie -- e.g. Yelle, Lukowich, Markannen(haha they list Legace as a backup goalie)
    5 = 4th liner/7th dman/depth goalie

our guys:
    Left Wingers
    Robbie Earl -- 7.0 B
    Nikolai Kulemin -- 7.0 C
    Ben Winnett -- 7.0 D
    Alex Foster -- 6.5 D

Centers
    Jiri Tlusty -- 8.0 B
    Chad Rau -- 7.0 D
    Chris DiDomenico -- 7.0 D
    John Mitchell -- 6.0 C
    Leo Komarov -- 6.0 D

Right Wingers
    Dale Mitchell -- 7.0 C
    Tyler Ruegsegger -- 7.0 C
    Jeremy Williams -- 6.5 C
    Brent Aubin -- 7.0 D

Defensemen
    Anton Stralman -- 7.0 C

Goaltenders
    Justin Pogge -- 8.0 C
    James Reimer -- 6.0 C

so if EVERYONE pans out PERFECTLY then we have 1 guy on the top line and a legitimate number 1 goaltender with 7 2nd line forwards and Stralman who is a 3rd dman according to these guys

vCash

Red face Prospects

Not really following the farm team(s) talent, I have heard that the Leafs have one of the worst farm systems as far as talent goes. They keep trading off their youngsters and getting the old guys....if they are going to rebuild, lets start off young and hold on to a few older guys.

vCash
    no As and only 1 B? that sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hock02 View Post
    Not really following the farm team(s) talent, I have heard that the Leafs have one of the worst farm systems as far as talent goes. They keep trading off their youngsters and getting the old guys....if they are going to rebuild, lets start off young and hold on to a few older guys.
    welcome to PSD!

vCash
    The farm has been stretched thin for years and don't let the record of the Marlies fool you, they signed a bunch of veterans to play in the minors and that's why they're winning. Most of those mentioned^^ are third/fourth liners. Besides Tlusty and Pogge we have too many fringe future NHL'ers. We have absolutely no top prospects period. And it's not even like we have bad scouts, these guys drafted Pogge,Wellwood, Raask and Boyes in the late rounds. They just haven't been given oppurtunities to draft basically at all. Draft picks are assets and when you trade them all away they catch up to you, it hurts to not have any prospects, look around the league, we're pretty much the only team without a good young player. We have Pogge but that's about it and there are still question marks around him. MLSE must, must hold onto their picks if they want a cup in a salary cap era.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    The farm has been stretched thin for years and don't let the record of the Marlies fool you, they signed a bunch of veterans to play in the minors and that's why they're winning. Most of those mentioned^^ are third/fourth liners. Besides Tlusty and Pogge we have too many fringe future NHL'ers. We have absolutely no top prospects period. And it's not even like we have bad scouts, these guys drafted Pogge,Wellwood, Raask and Boyes in the late rounds. They just haven't been given oppurtunities to draft basically at all. Draft picks are assets and when you trade them all away they catch up to you, it hurts to not have any prospects, look around the league, we're pretty much the only team without a good young player. We have Pogge but that's about it and there are still question marks around him. MLSE must, must hold onto their picks if they want a cup in a salary cap era.
    Well i think that they have finally, learned that trading your draft picks every year to come in 7th or 8th, is not worth it. leafs need to build for the future, tade sundin to get the high picks, or talented prospect.

vCash

Unhappy Leafs

All things being said........what does management care about fielding a team worthy of the cup.......as long as the seats are full in the Air Canada Centre

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragun View Post
    no As and only 1 B? that sucks.
    thats not really how it works...the letters arent grades...the letters are the chance that the player has to become the number grade and how far they could fall...A means cant miss, B means COULD drop 1 level but is probly that good, and C means could drop 2 levels, and so on and so on

Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    i agree...altho Rask and Boyes were 1st rounders so they dont really help ur case but Stralman would help and Jeremy Williams is really turning it on...now has like 12 goals since January 1st

its more in the salary cap era that you cant trade ur picks...the Leafs didnt need their picks before cause in theory they could just sign the guy they couldve drafted once he becomes an FA cause we had more money than the other team but now in the salary cap era you HAVE to have ur draft picks unless ur making an absolutely cant miss trade like trading for Crosby or something (i think id trade my 1st rounder for him)

this Marlies team is one of those underdog nobody teams...great goaltending as Pogge has been good and Clemmenson has been very solid as well...great leadership and grit with Bates, Newbury, Ondrus, Ling, Muir, and so on...and some great defensive forwards like Boyce along with Ondrus, Newbury, Bates, and Ling...Tlusty would be the only scoring threat but he cant on the top line with Mats score goals for the Marlies...then Earl is with the Leafs which doesnt help and so is Stralman...really the only guy on that team right now other than Pogge who could make an impact in the NHL is the guy the offence is built around...defenceman Derrick Walser...no one else on that team projects as more than a 3rd liner while Brent Aubin could either be Briere or nobody with his hands and height but at 5'6" and not great wheels hes more likely nothing...im gonna do a spec rankings and then show the hockeysfuture one too later but we dont really have anything after Tlusty and Pogge with a slight mention for Nikky Kulemin

vCash
    I actually forgot that Boyed and Raask were first rounders, I was just too lazy to check lol but you understand my point, when these scouts have been given a chance to draft they've picked up some good players even with mediocre first round picks. So let Fletcher make some trades, pick up some first/second/third round picks and start building. Our farm system is a joke and JFJ's trade of Raask reflects how people like Peddie like to run the show...it's a joke of an organization at the moment.

vCash
    ^^now before i do my rankings halladay...can you PLEASE learn how to spell Rask...there is one 'a' in Rask...lol...rankings will be up in a minute...ive seen like 20 Marlies games this year which i believe qualifies me to be the ultimate expert on this

vCash
    I don't care how he spells it, his name is spelled Toque-a Van Raaskdyke
    Last edited by Halladay; 02-13-2008 at 04:52 AM.

vCash
    McJoe's Prospect Rankings:

1. G Justin Pogge -- good goalie and for his size he moves side to side really well. He reminds me of Raycroft back when Rayzor was good. Good movement, good positioning, doesnt have great athleticism or reflexes so he wont be the Potvin-esque goalie ive been waiting for but he should do very well and be something along the lines of what Ed Belfour was for years in the NHL

2. C/W Jiri Tlusty -- i love this guy as a player. Hes not afraid to bang in the corners so he can go in there and get it. He can really shoot, he can handle the puck and he can skate quite well too. i think hes gonna be a VERY good player for us for years to come and if not a top liner he will be a VERY good 2nd liner

3. LW Nikolai Kulemin -- this guy has more points in each of the last three seasons the Russian Super League on the same team that Malkin used to play for than Malkin did in his seasons in the same league on the same team. this kid can score and should be a top liner as well altho the question will be whether he can adjust. the last time i saw him was in the world juniors a few years ago but i assume he hasnt taken a step back. hell be on the Marlies to start next season but youll see him on the Leafs at some point during the year.

4. D Anton Stralman -- he can play. you guys have seen him so i wont go too in depth but hes a good skater and great with the puck. another Kaberle IMO

5. LW Robbie Earl -- i saw his draft day interviews today actually and this kid is confident. He insisted that he was an absolute steal over and over and over (kid wouldve pissed me off if i was the guy walking with him). hes a good skater and is a hard worker. he should be a great 3rd liner but im gonna say watch out for him cause hes got the will and the determination to be a force. hes gone thru the loss of his parents at a young age and i would wager a large sum on him sticking in the NHL.

6. RW Jeremy Williams -- i think im the only one who likes him but i think he can play. he has the skill set to be a top line player but the chances of him doing that are slim. he has a GREAT wrist shot with spectacular accuracy and quickness. hes a decent skater and he will EITHER be a great player or be an Eric Westrum type and score 20+ goals in the AHL every year.

7. RW Tyler Ruegsegger -- no one will be able to spell his name but he should end up being a solid player. Hes not a good enough skater to be a star in the league but he has the hands and the will to fight for a spot. he could end up being a John Pohl type of player on ur 4th line and get a little bit of PP time but most likely hes gonna be in the NHL due to his lack of speed and the fact that hes only 5'11"

8. D Dmitri Vorobiev -- hes got the skill but hes still on the other side of teh pond and itll be a question whether he can play in this league. he does everything ok. a decent all around player.

9. C/W Dale Mitchell -- strong short guy, good with the puck. think a notch below wellwoods hands with Antropov's strength. at 5'11" 210 hes a very strong guy. comparable to Ruegsegger in that hes not a great skater but he could be a steal since he scored 80 points in 67 games. hes got the hands to be a player and hes got the strength but even with the strength i dont know if he has the size.

10. RW Brent Aubin -- he shouldnt be in the top 10 but he COULD be in the top 5. he scored like 105 points in 68 games in the Q last season and has the potential to be a Danny Briere type of player but with his lack of speed and size he will probly end up being a bust. I really like this guy but he is indeed a huge question mark.

just missed: D Phil Oreskovic, D Jamie Sifers(i really like him but hes not that good), C Chad Rau, and G James Reimer

vCash
    when will pogge be up for us?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    when will pogge be up for us?
    probably 2009-2010

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nstojic View Post
    probably 2009-2010
    damn that long? i hope all this 'development' pays off

Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast