Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Jeffrey Hopes To Make Most Of Camp Invitation
    The Penguins’ sixth-round draft choice (171st overall) in June may have seemed like a long shot to appear in Pittsburgh this year, but the 19-year-old earned a spot at training camp with an impressive showing in the team’s rookie camp tournament.

“It was a lot faster. I was up in camp at Sault Ste. Marie with my junior team for a week and a half and that first game of the rookie tournament, it was a little different,” he said. “The first period was a lot faster, but it’s also a lot easier because the guys all play their positions and everyone knows what their job is, so it’s just a little bit of an adjustment and I am sure it will be once I get on the ice here.”

The 6-foot-1, 205-pounder adjusted well. He centered a line with Ryan Stone and Jonathan Filewich and led the Penguins prospects with five points (2+3) en route to helping the squad capture the Kitchener Rookie Tournament in Ontario.

“It was great. It was a great opportunity,” he said. “I got the chance to play with some great linemates in Stone and Filewich. They have been around the pro game for a little while, so it helped me adjust a lot as did some of the older guys. I just went in there and tried to play my game. I was told that I just needed to do what got me there, so I tried to play my game and it got me this far.”

It punched his ticket to Pittsburgh as the Penguins were so impressed with his play, they extended an invite to training camp, which started Thursday with physical testing.

“Absolutely. I was really excited when they told me I was coming to Pittsburgh for camp,” he said. “It’s going to be an experience being around all the guys and seeing how everyone carries himself as a professional. I think that is going to help me out a lot when I go back to Sault Ste. Marie or whatever happens, it will help me in the future.”

The Penguins prospects enjoyed huge success in their tournament championship run despite not really having much time to prepare for the tournament.

“It was tough. We all have a common goal, though. We’re all trying to get here. That’s what everyone is working toward and we all try to do our best to get here. That’s how it was easy for us to come together,” Jeffrey said. “The coaching staff put an easy system in and gave us a little bit of a game plan, so it was easy for us to do well in the tournament. They didn’t put a lot of pressure on us. They told us just to go out there and play because they knew we are trying to make our way up to here.”

Now that Jeffrey is in camp with the Penguins, he wants to take advantage of his surroundings.

“I am going to try to absorb as much as I can and talk to as many guys as I can and just see what it’s all about,” he said. “I am not old enough yet to go play in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton or anything, so it’s either here or back in Sault Ste. Marie, so I am just going to soak up as much as I can and just try to stay here as long as possible.”

Jeffrey had 92 points (24+58) in 68 games for Sault Ste. Marie in the Ontario Hockey League last season. While he can score, he prides himself on his two-way game.

“I am a two-way player. I play well defensively; I am not going to give up a lot of points,” he said. “If we play down low in the corners, I think I can make good passes and that’s what I think I can bring to this team. I can put the puck in the net as well, but I think I am more of a set-up man.”

Regardless of his role, Jeffrey is happy to be with the Penguins.

“This is one of the teams that’s on the rise. This team is already one of the best in the NHL and half these guys haven’t been in the league for more than three or four years, so the sky is the limit for this team and it’s a great organization to get in with,” he said. “Even in Wilkes-Barre – they had a great year last year. It’s just the entire organization that is winning right now; it’s just a great place to be.”
    http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?art...e&service=page

vCash
    Evgeni Malkin is back in Pittsburgh for camp after a much less controversial summer than last year's where he had to flee Russia to sign in the NHL.
    Malkin returns for his sophmore year with the Calder trophy on his shelf as the NHL's top rookie in 2006-07 and some ever improving English skills. "I feel much stronger this season compared to last year. I think I'm in good shape," Malkin said through an interpreter. Crosby is the Penguin to pick, but Malkin had 85 points as a rookie and will definitely put up more than that this year.
    Angelo Esposito will in fact be attending the Pittsburgh Penguins' training camp, two weeks after stating he would potentially not be able to participate due to a groin injury.
    If Esposito is impressive enough to make the roster, he would follow suit with Jordan Staal and Sidney Crosby as a player going straight from Junior to the NHL. Although it is looking unlikely that Angie will accomplish this, no one expected it out of Staal last year when he scored 29 goals. Esposito is not a good pick, but still someone to watch.
    http://rotoworld.com/content/clubhou...HL&majteam=PIT

vCash
    Penguins Hit The Ice At Training Camp
    The Pittsburgh Penguins hit the ice Friday.

The team opened its on-ice portion of training camp at the ICEOPLEX at Southpointe with a pair of practices and a scrimmage.

“It was fun to see the players on the ice,” Penguins coach Michel Therrien said. “We got a chance to see them yesterday, but it’s always a better feeling to see them jump on the ice and practice.”

The action was intense, too.

“With the year we did have, a big part of that was because how well we were prepared. We have to make sure we don’t forget what got us here,” said captain Sidney Crosby, who scored the first goal in the scrimmage. “It’s good to be back with the guys. This is a tough week or two getting back into things when you’re battling against the guys you play with. Everyone is trying to earn a spot again and get in the habit of doing things right. So, it’s nice to get back in the swing of things.

“We don’t have a lot of time to get ready, but we have to make sure we make the most of it.”

The Penguins, who open their preseason schedule Monday in Montreal, are coming off a 105-point season. However, Therrien wants his team to focus solely on getting ready for a new season.

“The thing for us, we have to focus on training camp. We don’t want to focus on the end result of the season,” he said. “Our No. 1 priority right now is having a good training camp. There are a lot of things to get done during camp so we can have a good start to the season. Right now, that is my only concern and focus.”

The Penguins return to practice at 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday at Southpointe. Practices sessions are open to the public.

Watch training camp video on the all new Pens TV! Click to launch.

vCash
    Esposito Looks To Gain Experience At Camp
    Pittsburgh Penguins training camp is in full swing.

It couldn’t come soon enough for Angelo Esposito.

The team’s first-round selection has been eager for this camp ever since the Penguins called his name at June’s NHL Entry Draft in Columbus.

“I have been here for the last two weeks and I have gotten to know some of the guys,” he said. “I am just happy that camp finally started and I am just having fun out here.”

Esposito, a talented young center, was happy to get out on the ice to show his skills to the Penguins. And, he was elated to just be able to skate and compete at a high level after a groin injury plagued his preparation for the past month. The injury forced him to sit out the Super Series between the Canadian and Russian national junior teams.

“It’s my first time skating this hard in about a month. Obviously, it’s a tougher atmosphere here,” he said. “I am having fun and moving around and happy I am feeling better.

“I wouldn’t say my groin is 100 percent, but I am ready to play.”

Esposito certainly proved that as he displayed some of his world-class skill in the team’s opening scrimmage on a penalty shot goal.

“Yeah, obviously to get a goal like that or make a hit or do something in a game was nice. When I scored that goal, I was probably a lot less tense,” he said. “I skated with Max Talbot and Adam Hall – two veteran guys who are showing me the ropes and I am just following along. Those two guys gave me a lot of help.”

Fortunately for Esposito, he was able to get a solid summer of work in before his groin injury.

“Most of the summer, I was working out. I worked out for a good two months and then I hurt my groin, so I was out for a little bit there,” he said. “I got a pretty good summer in, though.”

He plans on preventing any further problems by working to strengthen the muscle.

“I just strengthen it by stretching and make sure I am getting stronger every day,” he said. “Everything is going well. It’s been progressing.”

In the meantime, Esposito is going to work hard on and off the ice in training camp.

“I just hope to get experience. I am just here to have fun and enjoy myself. If I make the team, I make the team. If I don’t, I will go back to juniors having learned a lot from this camp,” he said. “I am not here to save the team, they already have five or six guys to do that. I just come in here and play my game and learn as much as I can.”

Good for him. He making sure he is good shape and hopefully all this work he put in will help him get better.

vCash
    In case there was any doubt, the Penguins are planning on using Jordan Staal as the team's third-line center this season.
    With Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin ahead of him on the depth chart, this should come as no surprise. Staal, who looked good in Friday's scrimmage between Colby Armstrong and Ryan Malone, will be the team's primary penalty killer and will get plenty of chances to match his 29-goal effort of 2006-07 even while skating on the club's third unit.
    Mark Eaton reported no problems with his troublesome left wrist.
    The veteran defenseman, who broke the wrist last season and needed surgery to repair it, seems to be over the difficulties he experienced last year with stiffness and lack of mobility in the joint. Eaton seems healthy for the first time in almost 10 months.

vCash
    Gonchar Looks To Continue Surge
    Sergei Gonchar hopes his surge continues.

The veteran defenseman enjoyed one his best seasons in 2006-07. His 67 points matched a career high and his 54 assists were the most in his 12-year career. He finished second in the NHL among defenseman scoring, trailing only Anaheim’s Scott Nidermayer, who tallied just two more points than Gonchar.

“When you learn the system, you know what to expect from each other and it’s much easier for everybody,” said Gonchar, who led the Penguins in average time on ice (26:33) and tied for third in the NHL with 48 power-play points. “It was tough for me the first year and I struggled a little bit, but I am very comfortable and that’s why I am improving.”

Gonchar isn’t just improving, he’s excelling. In his last 90 games in a Penguins uniform, he has notched 104 points (19+85).

The Russian blueliner has now scored at least 50 points in each of the last seven seasons (1999-2000 to date). That’s the longest current streak among NHL defensemen. Bryan McCabe, Chris Pronger and Niedermayer are the only other defensemen to do so in each of the last three seasons.

And, since 2000, Gonchar ranks first among all NHL defensemen in goal scoring with 99 tallies and second in points with 366.

He hopes to be even better this season. Gonchar worked hard over the summer in Russia with teammate Evgeni Malkin, the NHL’s top rookie last season, to prepare for the upcoming campaign.

“It was a good summer for Evgeni and me. We worked out. We traveled a bit together. We went to Moscow a couple times,” Gonchar said. “I really believe it’s important for him to have a good workout after his first season because usually young guys don’t know what to do and don’t have that experience to work out on their own. I really believe that it’s a big thing for him to work out with us. We had a big group of guys – 10 NHLers working out together and we had a good camp going and I really think he’s going to benefit from that.”

Nevertheless, Gonchar remains focused on team success.

“We had a great year last year. Obviously, we made a great improvement. We got more experience and some playoff experience,” he said. “We did all the right things, so that is why I am excited about the season coming up.

“We made a big improvement last year and we felt what the playoffs are like. I believe we’re going to improve even more this year, game-wise, because guys are going to play better and better. If you look at us, everyone at camp is in a good mood and good shape, so I believe we’re ready for it.”

One big Penguins addition is veteran defenseman Darryl Sydor.

“You’re not going to get experience without playing and Sydor has a great amount of experience,” Gonchar said. “He’s won a couple Stanley Cups and it’s always nice to have an addition like this. It’s nice for everyone to have another year of experience, too.”

The Penguins enjoyed a 105-point season in 2006-07, but are determined to advance deeper in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

“That’s the good thing about this club – nobody is satisfied. Everybody is trying to improve every day and everyone is working hard every day,” Gonchar said. “It’s probably the biggest plus that we have – we’re all hungry and we’re all looking forward because we’re not satisfied with what we have.”

vCash
    Dany Sabourin does not harbor any ill feelings to the Penguins for cutting him last season despite his strong performance.
    In fact he jumped at the opportunity to sign with the Pens if the off-season this summer. "My goal was to play here last year, but, when I got picked up by Vancouver, I was happy to go there and get my first full year in the NHL," Sabourin said. "It was a good experience for me to be on a team with [Roberto] Luongo. I gained a lot of experience." He should capture the team's backup position this season and play under Marc-Andre Fleury.
    Evgeni Malkin is already being overshadowed and overlooked in Pittsburgh due to Sidney Crosby.
    Malkin was criticized in Pittsburgh after an unsuccessful end to the season that culminated in a unproductive playoffs. Defenseman Sergei Gonchar was quick to come to the young sniper's defense. "I do not understand that, especially with the way he was leaving the country, all the stories about that and the (shoulder) injury (before last season)," he said. "All those things, if you put them together, he did really well. Remember, he won Rookie of the Year, and that is something not many guys do." Despite recording an impressive 85 points last season, Malkin is adjusting to life in North America and is still learning the English language. He should improve his point totals this year.

vCash
    Sabourin Excited To Be Back In 'Burgh
    The goaltender signed with the Penguins as a free agent during the offseason. However, it’s not like he came to a strange place; rejoining the team is like coming back home for Sabourin.

“I have been gone for just one year and it’s pretty much the same group here with just a couple new guys. I played with a lot these guys in Wilkes-Barre, so I know them and I know the coach and the organization,” he said. “It always feels good to go back to a team you know.”

The 26-year-old netminder spent two years in the Penguins organization and blossomed into one of the top goaltenders in the American Hockey League with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in 2005-06. He went through training camp in Pittsburgh last season, but was third on the goaltending depth chart behind Marc-Andre Fleury and Jocelyn Thibault. He was assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, but Vancouver claimed the 6-foot-4 Sabourin off waivers before he could even report to the Baby Penguins.

While he was sad to leave the organization, he was excited to get a chance to spend last year in the NHL as the backup to Robert Luongo.

“I was really happy to have a chance to play a full year with Vancouver, but I was upset to leave an organization that I was growing up with,” he said. “I am really glad to be back. I was happy to go to Vancouver last year when they picked me up so I could gain some experience in the NHL. Coming back here I am really happy. I am coming back to an organization I know and am really comfortable with.”

With workhouse Luongo in goal for the Canucks, Sabourin played in only nine games and posted a 2-5-0 record with a 2.26 goals-against average. However, it was the experience of spending a full year in the NHL that really benefited Sabourin.

“That’s what I needed, so that is why I am really happy I was able to go to Vancouver,” he said. “That’s what I was asking for – to get a full year in the NHL and get comfortable and get my first win and all that stuff out of the way. Now that I got that, it’s going to be another step this year.”

And, he improved his game working with Luongo, one of the NHL’s top netminders last season.

“I watched a lot – just watching him play and the way he handled himself off the ice with the media and all that stuff. I learned a lot from him,” he said. “We’re not the same style of goalies. We pretty much have the same technique, but there are little things we do differently. Every goalie does his own thing. Just watching him how he reads the play and that kind of stuff.

“He’s a very good guy. All-around it was a good year for me.”

Luongo wished he had learned a little from Sabourin, too, especially after Penguins star Sidney Crosby scored on him during the penalty shot contest at the NHL All-Star skills competition in Dallas.

“No, he didn’t ask me about Sid. I should have given him a scouting report,” Sabourin said with a laugh. “When he got scored on by Sid and then came back, he was kind of mad because Sid beat him with a shot between his legs and he didn’t like that.”

Sabourin kept tabs on the Penguins throughout the year, too.

“Oh yeah. The guys in Vancouver kept telling me to quit watching the Penguins since I was in Vancouver,” he said with a laugh. “When you know the guys and you played a couple years with them, you want to know how things go, so I was watching the games and highlights. I was kind of cheering for the Penguins even if I was in Vancouver since we were not in the same conference.”

Now that he’s back with the Penguins, Sabourin works with another one of the NHL’s top goaltenders in Fleury. The two Quebec natives remain good friends on and off the ice.

“We’re good friends. Even during the summer, we see each other,” Sabourin said. “On and off the ice, we’re good friends, so it works out pretty good. We started in Wilkes-Barre together. It’s been a great.”

The learning process continues for Sabourin – and Fleury. Both work together to improve their games.

“Yeah, for sure, and at the same time, I think Fleury likes to learn a lot. When we were in Wilkes-Barre, he was always asking me questions,” he said. “He likes to learn and asks a lot of questions about the game. I can learn from him, too. The chemistry is good between us.”

Overall, Sabourin looks forward to playing in Pittsburgh this season.

“It’s good to be back in Pittsburgh,” he said. “It’s a good team and a good bunch of guys here. We’re just working on focusing on training camp right now.”

Good to have him back.

vCash
    Want more coverage of Penguins training camp?

Check pittsburghpenguins.com for exclusive feature stories, podcasts and video.

Click HERE for podcasts conducted by Mike Lange, Phil Bourque, Bob Grove and Joe Sager.

Watch training camp video on the all new Pens TV! Click to launch.

Bourque will continue exclusive podcast coverage Monday in Montreal. After each period in the Penguins' exhibition game Monday night, Bourque will provide analysis, scoring and statistical breakdowns for the contest.
    Last edited by Sbank; 09-16-2007 at 06:38 PM.

vCash
    Angelo Esposito is playing left wing at Pittsburgh's training camp.
    The Penguins are trying the youngster outside of his natural center position to see how well he adapts. Last season, Jordan Staal, a natural center, made the team as a winger and provided valuable minutes to a young team. While Esposito is a long-shot to make the club out of camp, Staal was in the same boat last season. Keep an eye on the first-rounder throughout camp.

vCash
    NHL Press Conference Streamed Live Here
    56K | 300K
    The NHL will make a major announcement concerning a special event Monday.

And you can watch it live here at pittsburghpenguins.com.

The press conference begins at 2 p.m. at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo. Check back to watch the event live via streaming video.
    Last edited by Sbank; 09-17-2007 at 03:30 PM.

vCash
    The NHL officially announced that Pittsburgh will take on the Sabres in Buffalo on the frozen field of Ralph Wilson Stadium.
    This has been one of the worst-kept secrets since the end of August. The two teams will meet on January 1st, in what may shape up to be the largest crowd ever to watch a hockey game. The stadium holds more than 73,000 people, which will easily surpass the last outdoor NHL game that was played in Edmonton where 57,167 watched the Oilers take on the Canadiens. Best of all, you will be able to watch Sidney Crosby while battling frostbite.
    The Penguins lost 3-2 in OT as Marc-Andre Fleury gave up 3 goals over 22 shots.
    Young Fleury showed a clear improvement over his previous campaigns last season but we suspect that's just the beginning. Look for him to continue to elevate his game.
    Sidney Crosby picked up a goal and assist in the Penguins first preseason game.
    Of course you don't need to see him preform in the preseason to know that you want Crosby on your team.
    Petr Sykora is the early winner after playing alongside Sidney Crosby in their first pre-season game.
    Mark Recchi lined up on the other side for an intriguing, yet small, trio. Sykora is the biggest of the three at an alleged 6'0", on platform shoes perhaps. Now that Sykora's fantasy potential is through the roof, he must prove to have chemistry with The Kid. He could be in line for a 30-goal, 75-point campaign if he sticks with the top unit.

vCash
    Penguins assign 10 to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton…
    The Penguins began trimming their roster in preparation for opening day, assigning ten players to their AHL affiliate in Wilkes Barre/Scranton.

The ten players reassigned were forwards Aaron Boogaard, Kurtis McLean, Kyle Rank, Joe Jensen and Mark Letestu, defensemen Paul Bissonnette, Mark Ardelan, Deryk Engellenad and Jonathan D’Aversa and goalie David Brown.

The Pens start their exhibition season Monday and Tuesday in Montreal.
    http://mvn.com/nhl-penguins/

vCash
    Evgeni Malkin led his team the Pittsburgh Penguins to a rebound win over the Montreal Canadiens September 18th.
    With no Sidney Crosby in the lineup, Malkin showed why he won the Calder trophy as the league's best rookie last season by scoring a goal and an assist for the Pens. This guy will be hot. If he and Crosby get some powerplay time together, Malkin may get even hotter than the earth's sun.
    Jeff Taffe had a goal and an assist as the Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Montreal Canadiens in preseaon action.
    Taffe is looking for a roster spot with Pittsburgh after playing in only 17 games last season with Phoenix where he registered six points. The thought of putting him on a draft list is ridiculous however until he proves himself.
    Petr Sykora broke his nose after colliding with teammate Brooks Orpik during the third period of play Tuesday.
    He's expected to be re-evaluated today so check in for further details.

vCash
    Meet Coach Michel Therrien

at Chrysler Dodge of White Oak on September 19, 2007. Coach Therrien will be greeting fans and signing autographs from 7pm-9pm. Chrysler Dodge of White Oak is located at 1234 Long Run Rd., White Oak, PA 15131

Penguins To Host Exclusive "Town Hall Meeting"
    Pittsburgh Penguins players Sidney Crosby, Jordan Staal, Marc-Andre Fleury, Ryan Whitney and Colby Armstrong will attend a “Town Hall Meeting” exclusively for Penguins season ticket holders Thursday at 8 p.m. at Mellon Arena.

The players will take part in a question-and-answer session with broadcaster Paul Steigerwald, along with Penguins CEO Ken Sawyer and team president David Morehouse.

Sawyer and Morehouse will provide an update on the new arena project and will outline plans to conduct focus groups of season ticket holders regarding the new arena.

Penguins GM Ray Shero also will speak to the season ticket holders about the upcoming season.

“The support of our season ticket holders has been phenomenal, and this Town Hall meeting is another way for our players and staff to reach out to them directly,” Morehouse said. “We have a tremendous group of young players who are very interested in this kind of community involvement. And we’ll also have an opportunity to engage the season ticket holders in the new arena process and let them know about the focus groups, where we can get their input.”

This is a ticketed event for season ticket holders.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast