Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Sidney Crosby scored twice to lead Pittsburgh to a 5-0 win over New Jersey Monday night.
    Crosby scored his eighth and ninth goals of the season, while Petr Sykora had a goal and an assist. Crosby, with 11 points in his last five games, now has 12 power play points to lead the NHL. Maxime Talbot and Brooks Orpik chipped in with a pair of assists each. Eric Christensen and Adam Hall also scored for the Penguins.
    Backup goaltender Dany Sabourin was strong between the pipes, turning aside 20 shots in Pittsburgh’s 5-0 win Monday.
    Sabourin was impressive again and continues to be a very reliable option for coach Michel Therrien.
    Ryan Whitney is hopeful of a return to the lineup on Wednesday against the Flyers.
    He has missed the past two games with a strained groin and said he skated at about 80% on Monday. Realistically, he may not return until the weekend.
    Colby Armstrong was a healthy scratch for the second consecutive game on Monday.
    The gritty winger is not displaying enough mustard according to coach Michel Therrien, "He has to get his nose dirty. He has to play hard. That's the way Colby Armstrong is at his best." He is not worth a fantasy roster spot at this point.
    rotoworld
    Last edited by Sbank; 11-07-2007 at 06:28 PM.

vCash
    Dany Sabourin has not officially been given the start for Wednesday night against the Flyers.
    However, he is coming off a 5-0 shutout victory over the Devils and has far outplayed teammate Marc-Andre Fleury this season. "We haven't made our decision yet, but it's really tough to take a goalie out after a shutout," coach Michel Therrien said. "Sabourin is playing really well right now." Sabourin is the probable starting goaltender though.
    rotoworld

vCash
    Sidney Crosby was held to just an assist in Pittsburgh's 3-1 loss to the Flyers Wednesday.
    With the helper, Crosby extended his points streak to 14 games. Ryan Malone had Pittsburgh's goal, and Evgeni Malkin had the other assist.
    Dany Sabourin couldn't follow up his shutout Monday with another win, dropping a 3-1 decision to Philadelphia Wednesday.
    Despite his strong play lately, it was a bit of surprise that Sabourin got the start against Philadelphia. Marc-Andre Fleury was 8-0 against the Flyers last season and is 10-3 with a 2.74 goals-against average in 14 career appearances. Sabourin, who has earned his share of starts for Pittsburgh, is still officially a backup goalie so he is not a must start in any Fantasy leagues. However, Pittsburgh's goaltending should be monitored since Fleury has been anything but spectacular.
    Marc-Andre Fleury will start on Thursday against the Rangers.
    Pittsburgh's backup, Dany Sabourin, has started the past two games, but one of those came on Wednesday. Fleury has struggled this year with a 4-5-1 record, a 3.45 GAA and a .896 save percentage. He will turn his game around, inconsistency is par-for-the-course with young netminders.
    Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 35 of 39 shots in a 4-2 loss Thursday night.
    The Penguins were outshot 22-6 in the first period. Facing those odds, it was a small miracle that Fleury could keep his team within one goal after 20 minutes of play. Unfortunately, that's about the only silver lining Fleury can take from this rough loss.
    rotoworld

vCash
    Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 35 of 39 shots in a 4-2 loss Thursday night.
    The Penguins were outshot 22-6 in the first period. Facing those odds, it was a small miracle that Fleury could keep his team within one goal after 20 minutes of play. Unfortunately, that's about the only silver lining Fleury can
    Sergei Gonchar had a goal and assist in a 4-2 defeat Thursday.
    Mark Recchi scored the other Penguins goal on the power play. Sidney Crosby extended his point streak to 15 games with an assist in the first period.
    Ryan Whitney missed his fourth straight on Thursday night.
    Whitney has been troubled by the dreaded "groin strain." He remains listed as day-to-day, but it is unclear when he will return. Wait until he actually plays a full game without a setback before activating him.
    Colby Armstrong dressed for the first time since November 1.
    Armstrong played on a line with Petr Sykora and Jordan Staal, but failed to collect any points in only 12 minutes of ice-time. He had been a healthy scratch since the start of November because of his soft play. The winger is not worth owning at this point.
    rotoworld

vCash
    Johnson, Badgers Enjoy Continued Success
    When you think of recent dynasties in college sports, USC football may come to mind.

However, the Wisconsin women’s ice hockey team should be right up there.

The Badgers, coached by former Penguins player Mark Johnson, are the two-time defending national champions. And, they appear poised for another successful run this season as they are ranked second in the latest NCAA Division-I women’s poll.

“Any kind of championship is incredible to win. You have to have good chemistry and good team players to do that and things have to fall into place,” Johnson said. “We’ve been able to do some things here the last couple years and the kids have had some experiences they will always cherish. It’s a unique group that buys into the team concept.”

Johnson is the son of the late “Badger” Bob Johnson, a legendary coach at Wisconsin, who guided the Penguins to their first Stanley Cup championship in 1991.

“He obviously had a huge impact on my career. As a youngster growing up in Madison and watching him coach at the university, I was a stickboy and then I got a chance to play for him at Wisconsin for three years,” Mark said. “When you see somebody on a daily basis and you see how he conducts himself in all different situations, not only as a father, but certainly as a coach – you’re going to take some things away from that because he was successful at all different levels, whether it was here in Madison or up in Calgary or in Pittsburgh. I saw things happen first-hand that were very successful. As I developed my philosophy and coaching style, I certainly looked at people that have been my mentors. I had a good one, so I could take a lot of things away from that.”

Mark Johnson finished his collegiate career second on Wisconsin’s all-time scoring list with 256 points, 11 behind Mike Eaves, a former Penguins assistant coach and currently Wisconsin’s men’s coach.

After his college playing career, Mark Johnson competed for Team USA at the 1980 Winter Olympic Games. A Penguins fourth-round draft choice, he scored two goals in the “Miracle on Ice” win over the Soviet Union and helped the U.S. capture the gold.

“That was a long time ago, but it certainly stays with us as we’ve gotten older. I remember four days after leaving Lake Placid, getting on a flight, going to Pittsburgh and getting off my flight all these TV cameras were there. It was like, ‘Wow, what am I in for here?’” he said. “But that’s the impact that event had on so many areas and so many people. I still go around to different parts of the country and people will come up to me and find out that I played in the Olympics and they will tell me exactly what they were doing on that Friday night or that Sunday morning when we beat Finland. It’s an amazing story and probably the bottom line is that I feel really honored and somewhat humbled that I was part of that group.”

He appeared in 136 games with the Penguins and had 62 points (23+39). He was traded to Minnesota in 1982 and finished his NHL career with 508 points (203+305) in 669 games.

Johnson joined Wisconsin’s men’s team as an assistant from the 1996-97 season until 2001-02. He took over as the women’s head coach in 2002-03 and the Badgers have excelled. Johnson led the program to a 147-28-14 record entering this season. And, Wisconsin established an NCAA-record 32-game unbeaten streak, which was snapped this year.

“Even in losses, I think you can take some things away from them,” he said. “It’s early in the season and it will certainly help us become a stronger team.”

Johnson enjoyed coaching the Team USA women’s team at the 2006 Four Nation’s Cup and 2007 World Championship.

“The experience last year was outstanding,” he said. “It’s a great honor and it’s great to work with our elite players.”

Now, he is focused on a formidable task – a third-straight NCAA championship

“The goal is still the same. The process and the journey to get there are going to be a little different because of the makeup of the group, but we have a good core set of players coming back and I like my freshman class. One of my keys to a successful season is to make sure we’re making improvements and getting better each weekend and we’ve been able to do that,” he said. “We’re certainly a better team now than we were a month ago. A lot of good things are happening and there is a lot of excitement in our program. Hopefully, we stay healthy and give ourselves an opportunity in late February and early March to have another run for a another championship.”
    penguins.com

vCash
    Evgeni Malkin is listed as probable for Saturday night's game against the Flyers despite missing practice Friday with an unspecified knee injury.
    We would keep Malkin active for now but stay tuned for further updates.
    rotoworld

vCash
    Jarkko Ruutu was a healthy scratch on Saturday.
    This has happened a lot this season for the feisty winger as he has sat out six of the last seven Penguin games. Ruutu has an assist in nine games this season with 10 PIMs. It is time to cut the bait and release Ruutu if you still have him.
    Jordan Staal is having a terrible sophomore slump.
    The 19-year-old had a great rookie season with 29 goals and 42 points along with a plus 16. He led the NHL in short-handed goals with seven. But this season has been a total bust with only a goal and two points in 17 games. While he has struggled offensively, coach Michel Therrien is happy with his defensive performance. "You cannot judge players by goals all the time," Therrien said. "We are satisfied with Jordan Staal, believe it or not. It is a learning process for him. He turned 19 only two months ago. He is a good defensive forward. He surprised a lot of people with his offensive numbers. I was not expecting that." Staal is minus seven this season, so it must not take much to impress Therrien
    rotoworld

vCash
    Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby are the only Penguins that are scoring of late.
    The pair have combined for nine of the 18 goals Pittsburgh has scored since October 27. The pair play on the same line, as well as on the top power-play unit, which means that there is minimal secondary scoring occurring. Their other linemate, Ryan Malone, has scored twice since then. Until Pittsburgh gets contributions from another line, they will continue to struggle.
    Ryan Whitney reported no problems in his groin after his return to the lineup on Saturday.
    This is good news, as the first game back from a nagging groin injury is usually the toughest - and the most likely time for relapse. Whitney should be active in all fantasy leagues.
    rotoworld

vCash
    Sidney Crosby had a couple of points, but Pittsburgh's struggles continued with a 3-2 loss to New Jersey Monday.
    Crosby, with a goal and an assist, now has 14 points in his last eight contests, and extended his point streak to 17 games. Crosby is now tied with Henrik Zetterberg for the league lead in points with 27.
    Dany Sabourin made 18 saves in a 3-2 loss to New Jersey Monday.
    Sabourin, making the start after notching his first career shutout against New Jersey earlier this month, has now lost two straight. Despite coming into the game with a dazzling 2.05 goals against average, Sabourin drops to 3-3-1 on the campaign.
    Evgeni Malkin was moved to the second line in an effort to jump-start Jordan Staal's play.
    Staal is suffering through a horrible sophomore slump with only one goal on the season. Coach Michel Therrien moved Malkin from Crosby's line in order to balance his attack. He also said that Staal has been struggling at center and wanted him to return to the wing, which has less responsibility in the defensive end. The youngster didn't register a point on the revamped line, but playing alongside Malkin cannot hurt. He has nowhere to go but up.
    Sidney Crosby's wrist is fine after x-rays revealed no damage.
    Crosby was slashed in the third period by Philadelphia's Jason Smith on Monday. The Kid is tough and will not miss any action.
    rotoworld

vCash
    John LeClair pleaded not guilty to drunk driving charges in Vermont on Tuesday.
    The former Penguin was arrested on Oct. 24 and charged with DUI after he refused to take a blood-alcohol test, according to police.
    Kristopher Letang has been recalled by the Penguins.
    Letang should add a strong offensive punch to Pittsburgh, especially if they utilize him on the power play. He notched a goal and a team-high six assists in 10 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in the AHL.
    Alain Nasreddine has been returned to the AHL.
    He has played in four games with the Penguins this season, while failing to register a point and earning a minus-3 rating.
    Tyler Kennedy was sent down to the minors on Tuesday.
    Kennedy netted one goal in six games while with the big club, but he did not receive much ice time.
    rotoworld

vCash
    John LeClair pleaded not guilty to drunk driving charges in Vermont on Tuesday.
    The former Penguin was arrested on Oct. 24 and charged with DUI after he refused to take a blood-alcohol test, according to police.
    Kristopher Letang has been recalled by the Penguins.
    Letang should add a strong offensive punch to Pittsburgh, especially if they utilize him on the power play. He notched a goal and a team-high six assists in 10 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in the AHL.
    Alain Nasreddine has been returned to the AHL.
    He has played in four games with the Penguins this season, while failing to register a point and earning a minus-3 rating.
    Tyler Kennedy was sent down to the minors on Tuesday.
    Kennedy netted one goal in six games while with the big club, but he did not receive much ice time.
    Marc-Andre Fleury will start against the Islanders on Thursday.
    The youngster has struggled mightily this season. Fleury is 4-7 this season with a .893 save percentage and a bloated 3.56 GAA. At some point, Fleury will regain the form that place him among the league's best last year.
    rotoworld

vCash
    Sergei Gonchar scored a goal and assist to lead Pittsburgh to a 3-2 victory Thursday.
    Petr Sykora and Georges Laraque also scored for the Penguins. Evgeni Malkin registered two assists to raise his season total to 19 assists and 26 points in 19 games.
    Tyler Kennedy was called up from the minors on Thursday November 15.
    Coach Michel Therrien made Mark Recchi a healthy scratch on Thursday.
    The veteran has struggled this season with two goals and eight points in 18 games despite playing alongside Sidney Crosby much of the time. This was meant as a wake-up call to Recchi, but it could signal the beginning of the end of his fine career. However, the move is also showing how desperate Therrien is getting behind the bench as the Penguins continue to toil in mediocrity.
    Darryl Sydor was a healthy scratch on Thursday.
    At least the veteran defender had some company with him as Mark Recchi was also a healthy scratch. He is a defensive defenseman that hasn't been very good defensively this season. He has only one point in 18 games and owns a horrendous -7 rating.
    rotoworld

vCash
    Willie O'Ree To Attend Pens' Practice, Game
    Willie O’Ree, who became the first black player in NHL history when he suited up for the Boston Bruins in 1958, will make a visit to Pittsburgh Saturday and be involved in a full day of activities to promote the NHL’s Diversity Program.

O’Ree, the NHL’s Director of Youth Development and ambassador for NHL Diversity, will start the day by attending the Penguins’ morning skate at 10:30 a.m. at Mellon Arena. He will be joined by young players from the inner-city hockey program, “Hockey in the Hood.” The youngsters will make a presentation to O’Ree and also have a chance to meet Penguins players.

O’Ree will conduct a street hockey clinic at the Ammon Recreation Center on Bedford Avenue in the Hill District at 12:30 p.m., then attend the Hockey in the Hood practice at the RMU Island Sports Center on Neville Island at 3:15.

He also will attend the Penguins game against the New York Rangers Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. at Mellon Arena.

O’Ree broke the NHL’s color barrier on January, 18, 1958 with the Bruins. He played 45 games with the Bruins from 1958-61, registering four goals and 10 assists for 14 points. He played pro hockey for 21 seasons, most of those with the Los Angeles Blades and San Diego Gulls of the Western Hockey League.

The NHL is commemorating the 50th anniversary of O’Ree’s debut throughout the 2007-08 season.
    penguins.com

vCash
    Marc-Andre Fleury kicked away 22 of 26 shots, but was unable to come out with a victory on Saturday night.
    Fleury continues to give headaches to many fantasy owners as his numbers have not been great this season. There have been quite a bit of blurbs written about his struggles so far this season, perhaps owners should cut him loose to save the headaches that come attached with owning Fleury. If the opportunity arises where you can cut him loose you should seriously consider doing so.
    Petr Sykora scored a goal and added an assist in the Penguins loss to the Rangers on Saturday night.
    Sykora has been quiet so far this season considering he's playing with the leagues best player Sidney Crosby. Sykora now has 15 points in 20 games, look for him to continue to add to his point totals while playing on a line with Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.
    Darryl Sydor was a healthy scratch for the second consecutive game.
    Sydor only has one point in 18 games. It is safe to say that he has no value in fantasy hockey leagues anymore. If you own him you should drop him and look for better alternatives.
    Mark Recchi started in Saturday's game.
    Recchi was a healthy scratch on Thursday. He has struggled this season with just eight points in 19 games. Recchi's still getting about has many shooting opportunities as he has in previous seasons, they're just not finding their way past the netminder. He lined up on the right side of Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal but was still held pointless.
    Colby Armstrong was a healthy scratch on Saturday.
    It was the third consecutive game and sixth out of last eight that he's spent in the press box. Armstrong has scored just one goal in 14 games this season. He's has been a disappointment since scoring 16 goals and 40 points in just 47 games in his 2005-06 rookie season. He's not worth owning in any fantasy pools.
    rotoworld

vCash
    Sidney Crosby has been used on the penalty over the past few games.
    This is a new element to Crosby's game as coach Michel Therrien either doesn't use him when they are a man down, or he uses him at the tail end of the kill. However, with penalties recently to regular penalty-killers Ryan Malone and Adam Hall, Therrien sent Crosby out early. He responded with a scoring chance and may be used more in that role. Yet another weapon is added to Crosby's vast arsenal.
    Colby Armstrong will return to the lineup on Wednesday against the Devils.
    The gritty winger has been a healthy scratch in six of the past eight games. At this point, he doesn't have any fantasy value.
    rotoworld

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast