Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PB#37 View Post
    Chia said he wants to add size down the middle... But Soderberg would be our 4th line C. I much prefer to trade Sturm or Kobasew for a good PM prospect and Put Soder on the wing (provided he does good in camp)
    I agree - unless one of the current top 3 centres are moved then Soderberg would fit in much better as a winger, especially if one of Kessel or Kobasew are moved. Come to think of it, if Soderberg is as good as they say and would commit to coming over, it makes it easier to move Kessel knowing you are going to get back huge value in return (hopefully a top D prospect + young winger + pick) and have someone to replace him (not at his level of course but potential 20-30 goal scorer). Plus, Wheeler and Lucic probably improve offensively next year and Strum is back.

Offseason mission: Get Victor Hedman!

vCash
    New HF team rankings out - Bruins at #7 (down from #5 at Xmas):

7. Boston Bruins

Strengths: The Bruins have a stable of excellent prospects at center. University of Denver prospect Joe Colborne has the most potential of all of Boston's centers, but Brad Marchand and Zach Hamill are also potential top-six forwards. Additionally, the Providence Bruins netminder Tuukka Rask is one of the top goaltending prospects among the NHL teams. Weaknesses: Boston's most glaring weakness is the lack of high-end prospects on the wing. After the recent graduations of both Blake Wheeler and Milan Lucic, there are only six wingers currently in the organization. None of those wingers have top-six potential. Top 5 prospects: 1. Tuukka Rask, G, 2. Joe Colborne, C, 3. Brad Marchand, C, 4. Zach Hamill, C 5. Kevin Regan, G. Key losses to graduation: Blake Wheeler, Vladimir Sobotka.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...l_rankings110/

vCash
    Montreal is at 2... I don't take those too seriously

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PB#37 View Post
    Montreal is at 2... I don't take those too seriously
    Yeah, true - although most of those Mtl prospects are not NHL-ready and thus not as well known. I dont honestly know much at all about them, but I like to think they will all suck..simply because they are on Mtl!

Soderberg would be huge if we could get him - quality cheap player with good cap relief (kind of like Wheeler this year and next year).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggleboom View Post
    Yeah, true - although most of those Mtl prospects are not NHL-ready and thus not as well known. I dont honestly know much at all about them, but I like to think they will all suck..simply because they are on Mtl!

Soderberg would be huge if we could get him - quality cheap player with good cap relief (kind of like Wheeler this year and next year).
    I've heard of a couple of the prospects from Montreal. Especially P.K. Subban, a defenseman for them. He's very vivacious, and offensively talented for a D-prospect.

But Brad Marchand is a beast. He's small at 5'10 or 5'11, but at least he's willing to go in the corners, and try and hit bigger guys. And not sure if you guys follow the World Juniors, but he scored the winner for Canada. Subban was actually a big part of the Canadians victory also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GibberSquad View Post
    I've heard of a couple of the prospects from Montreal. Especially P.K. Subban, a defenseman for them. He's very vivacious, and offensively talented for a D-prospect.

But Brad Marchand is a beast. He's small at 5'10 or 5'11, but at least he's willing to go in the corners, and try and hit bigger guys. And not sure if you guys follow the World Juniors, but he scored the winner for Canada. Subban was actually a big part of the Canadians victory also.
    I watched those games too and loved Marchand's play. This past year Subban was great, but man, they were talking about him like the 2nd coming of Bobby Orr! He is a classic example of Habs fans over-valuing a guy. He will be a nice #3-4 puck-moving, high energy D-man, but no way he becomes all-star level.

Wasn't Latandresse supposed to be a star? Ha.

vCash
    Winning the Eastern Conference regular-season title is all well and good but resting on laurels won't get you to the Stanley Cup. With some significant players and prospects facing free agency, GM Peter Chiarelli and his staff will need to make some tough decisions for the future of Boston hockey. With the cap now an issue, they will need to rely on prospects like Byron Bitz, Vladimir Sobotka and Johnny Boychuk to take on a larger role. The Bruins need smart players with an unrelenting work ethic to filter into the system and keep it strong.

Team Needs

Boston needs to maintain the core of the team and add players that enhance that foundation. If the right deal emerges, the Bruins may find themselves with a high profile forward as one of those enhancements. But defense looks to be the biggest area to address. Boston is a young team with 13 players 25 or under playing at least one game over the past season and only three of them were defensemen. The draft would be a good place to trade for help to bolster the Bruins blueline for the future. With both Steve Montador and Shane Hnidy becoming free agents the Bruins will be forced to address the issue of the third defensive pairing.

Role-playing forwards such as Mark Recchi, P.J. Axelsson and Stephane Yelle are also entering free agency and will need to be resigned or else Boston will need to find suitable replacements.

Organizational Strengths

The Bruins have loads of depth at center all the way through the organization. Maxime Sauve, Jamie Arniel, 2008 first-round pick Joe Colborne and 2007 firstround pick Zach Hamill are all centers. Depending on how well and how quickly centers like Mark Goggin develop there may well some competition for playing time. Some may well have to move to wing.

Organizational Weaknesses

Overall, the Bruins organization is weak on the wings. Essentially limited to those skating in Providence, the team would like to add depth in the mold of Milan Lucic and Byron Bitz. Big, strong wingers are always appreciated, but in Boston it’s almost expected protocol to have such players within the organization.

The defense within the system could use some replenishment as well but either position will be ideal additions for the organization. With the defense it’s a question of quality and quantity with needed improvement in both areas. The organization needs to add youth at defense in the form of smart, responsible prospects that can develop and compliment the current crop.

Draft Tendencies

This will be Chiarelli’s third draft with Boston. If the previous two are any indication, he will truly stick to the “best player available” approach. While most GMs preach a similar approach, Chirelli’s two drafts indicate his ardent belief in the method. Boston took four defensemen in 2007 with six of its picks and in 2008 yielded five center selections with another six draft picks. The approach is simply to take the best player available and the 2009 draft should be no different.

Hockey's Future staff mock draft result: David Rundblad, D, Skelleftea AIK (Sweden)

Smart and good with the puck, Rundblad has may not be the top Swedish defenseman in the draft, but he would be the best pick for the Bruins with the 25th overall selection. He has the ability to be a great puck-moving defenseman.

The Picks (5)

1st round, 25th overall
    3rd round, 86th overall
    4th round, 112th overall (conditional, from Philadelphia)
    6th round, 175th overall
    7th round, 205th overall
    hockeysfuture.com

vCash
    Loose pucks
    Russian defenseman Yuri Alexandrov, whom the Bruins selected as the 37th pick in the ’06 draft, informed the Bruins last week that he will be here for the club’s annual development camp, July 6-12, at Wilmington . . .

dont know if anyone already mentioned this but this is a good sign for the bruins. he was highly regarded at that 2006 draft but dropped to the 2nd round because rumors he wouldnt leave the russian leagues. this is great because we need young future defensive depth.

vCash
    Yeah, I just put that in another thread, but this is probably a better place for it anyway. I agree this could be great because we don't exactly have a surplus of good, young dman prospects.

vCash
    Good finds...I'd agree we're pretty weak on the wings...I think we'll be fine without PJ...I think it'd be a good investment to resign Yelle...he is the best face-off winner in the league and you need that in the playoffs and late in the regular season. I think we'll have a really good team next year...lets see what happens with Phil and go from there...July 1st is fast approaching
    PSD Bruins Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Boston Bruins Style

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyras View Post
    Good finds...I'd agree we're pretty weak on the wings...I think we'll be fine without PJ...I think it'd be a good investment to resign Yelle...he is the best face-off winner in the league and you need that in the playoffs and late in the regular season. I think we'll have a really good team next year...lets see what happens with Phil and go from there...July 1st is fast approaching
    I would have loved to re-sign Yelle also, but Recchi is great. The Bruins have their faceoff man in Bergeron. He won something like 22 of 32 faceoffs in game 7 against Carolina. That's pure domination.

But yeah, I've been saying this for awhile. The Bruins have no prospects at wing. Their best guy that wasn't on the team they traded away in Martins Karsums. True, the Bruins are deep at Center, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad if one or two of them moved to wing.

vCash
    what do people know about Yannick Riendeau? it looks like he has put up pretty good numbers throughout his junior career, but his numbers last year are off the chart. is he that good or was he on a good line or something?

it looks like he has been under the radar somehow because there isnt much out there about him.

vCash
    All I can find is he is a 21 year old Winger out of Canada and is 5-10...178 so kind of a smaller guy who needs to put on a little weight...

His stats last year were 64 games, 58 goals, 68 Assists, and 126 points

Also in 19 playoff games he had 52 points

He played for Drumondville last year...the same team Daniel Briere and Ian Laperriere played for.

I can't find any other information...their home page is in French I believe but I can't find a scouting report...I think the kid could be good...but he'll more than likely need a year or 2 in AHL to get used to the speed of the game...

Boston Bruins Style

vCash
    ^^^Thanks, hopefully he can put on some pounds at the ahl level so he can be as productive as he was in juniors. If he turns out to be anything close to what he was in Juniors...that would be one of the best under-the-radar signings.

68 assists in 62 games shows he can move the puck pretty well and must have good hockey sense, which any coach would say is the hardest to teach a young player

vCash
    Yeah...I'm pretty excited about the kid...more excited about Yuri Alexandrov...he should be a pretty good player for us soon

Boston Bruins Style

Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast