Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Notre Dame picked up its 20th commitment of the year Sunday when five star wide receiver Michael Floyd picked the Irish over Florida, USC, Ohio State, and in state Minnesota. While any commitment from a five star commitment is huge, Floyd’s pledge might just rank up there as one of the biggest under Charlie Weis and the current coaching staff for a number of reasons.

The first being Notre Dame hasn’t been able to attract five star wide receivers as easily as one would think after the success of Maurice Stovall, Jeff Samardzija, and Rhema McKnight in this offense over the past couple of seasons. Notre Dame has recruited some very fine wide receivers such as Robby Parris, Duval Kamara, and Golden Tate, but the Irish have not been able to land a receiver who can make an immediate impact like Floyd under the current regime.

One of the biggest missing components to the Irish offense not just this year, but even the last few years, has been gamebreakers who can take over a game. Floyd fits that mold and has the talent to be able to step in and contribute right away.

Aside from giving the Irish a big time talent at a position of need, this commitment is extra special because it comes at a time when Notre Dame is struggling mightily on the field. With the Irish sitting at 1-7 with an offense that has been stuck in park most of the season, getting a receiver with Floyd’s abilities speaks volumes for the recruiting abilities of this staff.

Throw into the mix the transfer of Matt Carufel, who attend the same high school as Floyd, and USC’s recent rout of Notre Dame during his official visit and the timing of this commitment comes as an even bigger surprise.
    On Saturday night, Charlie Weis spoke tough when asked if the Irish have reached rock bottom. “Let me just say people better enjoy it now, have their fun now,” he told the media in his post game comments. Getting commitments like that of Floyd despite the recent struggles suggest that Weis might not just be talking tough either.

When the Irish struggled in 2003 after Tyrone Willingham’s successful inaugural campaign in 2002, the previous staff could not continue the recruiting momentum they had gained the previous season. After the 2002 season which saw the Irish go 10-3, Willingham was able to land future NFLers Brady Quinn, Ryan Harris, Victor Abiamiri, and Chinedum N’Dukwe as well as 5th year seniors John Sullivan and Tom Zbikowski among others in a consensus top 10 class.

A year later when the Irish struggled, Willingham and staff were not able to continue that success and the Notre Dame recruiting class was ranked outside of the top 25.

Contrast that with this year’s current recruiting success and there is definitely some reason for hope and optimism amongst Notre Dame fans. The Irish currently have a consensus top 3 class and that was before the addition of Floyd.
    http://www.uhnd.com/articles/2007/re...uge-for-irish/

Good News

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yboord028 View Post
    According to Rivals.com #3 overall RB 4 star recruit Jonas Gray is not committed to South Bend. He's jumped ship from Nebraska and heading to the golden dome.

Jonas also said he stated he thinks the # 3 off gaurd 4 star prospect Trevor Robinson will follow him to South Bend.

ND extends their lead in teh recruiting class of 08 race!

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    There was some disbelief in the press box before the USC-Notre Dame kickoff when officials signaled the Irish had won the toss and deferred until the second half.

Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis had said, repeatedly, he would never consider going on defense first if he won the toss. Never.

The change in heart by the offensive-minded coach might not seem like a big deal, but it shows how this trying 1-7 season has forced Weis to change some things.

"I've probably adapted more this year than I have in my whole coaching career,'' he said. "Every week I've tried to do something different.''

The best example might be his stance about playing for the future.

In August, when asked whether this season would be a rebuilding year, Weis said: "May God strike me dead if I use that word.''

Well, he's still breathing, and he still hasn't used the word, but Weis is going into a rebuilding mode during this bye week.

The team will practice through Wednesday before heading home for a few days during Notre Dame's weeklong fall break, during which coaches will fly across the country on recruiting trips.

Half of each practice will be spent preparing for the next opponent, Navy (4-3). Then, players who won't be back next season will depart, and practice will resume with the younger players.

"We're going to make sure we utilize this week to get going on Navy, but I think it's just as important to start developing the team as if those guys are gone,'' Weis said.
    That doesn't mean Weis won't use fifth-year seniors such as tight end John Carlson, center John Sullivan and safety Tom Zbikowski in the last four games.

What it means is the players behind them, as well as other second-stringers, will get some chances to play.

Another example of the change in Weis is how he has modified his practices.

They have become increasingly more physical, including tackling to the ground in many practices. Now Weis is considering allowing quarterbacks to be tackled during spring practices to get them used to the speed and physical nature at this level.

The coach knows it could be dangerous with only two quarterbacks on the roster, but he's willing to at least consider taking the risk because of the possible reward.

All the changes show Weis is willing to go against what he learned in the NFL under Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick. If he wasn't willing to change, Weis said, he would have risked losing his players.

"I think I had to make sure that I wasn't closed-minded about my approach to football,'' he said. "Because if I think I would, and not be willing to make changes, I think that would set us further, and further, and further behind. That's why you keep on tweaking it ,to go try to find the right formula.''

After the lopsided loss to USC, players still seemed to be focused on getting better.

"I'm playing for a lot of things. I'm playing for the fact that I still love all my teammates,'' said Sullivan. "We're not done.''
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21426629/

vCash
    I heard Golic's son (#4 center in the country) is heading to South Bend; also, check this kid out; he is considering ND, and his HS team is in the same conference as ours:

http://jonathanmeyers.com/
    Thanks JO-MO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagofan71 View Post
    I heard Golic's son (#4 center in the country) is heading to South Bend; also, check this kid out; he is considering ND, and his HS team is in the same conference as ours:

http://jonathanmeyers.com/
    Yup he's coming, so is Broxton Cave, and possibly Robbinson.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    I love my Fightin' Irish. To see us struggle this year has been..difficult. Hopefully, we'll pick it up next year.

vCash

Navy just Beat Notre Dame in 3 OT

46-44

vCash
    STREAK OVAH!

vCash
    I cant believe I left the game at half time.

Oh well still an amazing game.

vCash
    Congrats to Navy, well deserved...as for ND, 1-8, wow
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post

Navy just Beat Notre Dame in 3 OT

46-44
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver88 View Post
    STREAK OVAH!
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    I cant believe I left the game at half time.

Oh well still an amazing game.
    Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    Congrats to Navy, well deserved...as for ND, 1-8, wow
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Yes we suck

vCash
    Oh my god yboord...you must be soooo depressed right now.

The Dolphins are the laughing stock of the league, and ND is atrocious.

We need to put you on suicide watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    One of the best things Ive seen all day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post
    Oh my god yboord...you must be soooo depressed right now.

The Dolphins are the laughing stock of the league, and ND is atrocious.

We need to put you on suicide watch.
    I know

:suicide:

Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast