Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    what a horrible loss.

Weis looked like he didn't have a game plan, we looked totally unprepared.

and what the hell happened to the running game.

btw, just choose a damn quaterback, please!!!

Briella Bounce

vCash
    wow, what did all of you ND fans expect? They are a very raw football team. Wait a while, in about a year or 2, ND will be back where they were the past 2 years. You cant just bring in talented freshman and expect them to win a national championship their first year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bu115fan23 View Post
    wow, what did all of you ND fans expect? They are a very raw football team. Wait a while, in about a year or 2, ND will be back where they were the past 2 years. You cant just bring in talented freshman and expect them to win a national championship their first year.
    well i didn't expect them to be good but the team was just down right horrible they didn't do anything right...

vCash
    So what time do we find out who will start at QB against Penn State? Weis is supposed to announce it today.

vCash
    prolly Friday

vCash
    Three QBs struggle to find groove
    Lorenzo Reyes
    Issue date: 9/3/07 Section: Irish Insider

Would it be the sophomore playmaker Demetrius Jones? Perhaps the junior with actual game experience in Evan Sharpley? Or could the unproven, but highly regarded freshman Jimmy Clausen take control of Notre Dame's quarterback position?

During the worst home opening loss in the program's history Saturday against Georgia Tech, Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis gave all three a chance to prove themselves at the position. Even though each player was able to get some experience, not much was answered and a great deal regarding the stability of the position remains ambiguous.

It was obvious when Jones led the Irish out of the locker room onto the field that he would get his first collegiate start. With the crowd behind him, he took the field attempting to make a statement.

Just a minute into the game, Jones' first drive was over after Georgia Tech's pressure forced a fumble. The following two offensive drives gained only 13 total yards and resulted in two punts.

As the second quarter began, Jones was able to lead the offense down the field, but another Georgia Tech strip forced Jones' second fumble of the day, ending the surge.

I knew that they have a very sound defensive scheme and they have good players," Weis said.

"So we figured they were going to be getting after us pretty good and one of the ways we felt we could try and slow down and neutralize them is try to run the football and try not to have negative plays."

After the next two offensive possessions resulted in a net gain of zero yards, Weis decided to give Sharpley a shot.

Jones finished with 12 rushes for 28 yards and only completed one pass on three attempts for four yards. He showed the ability to avoid the rush, but couldn't protect the ball well enough to sustain drives.

"It's disappointing," Jones said. "But everything happens for a reason and now we have to respond. It's part of football."

While Jones was under center, Weis used the spread offense as the base scheme, employing shotgun sets with three and four wide receivers for over half of his plays. The rest of the plays consisted of either singleback or I-formation sets, with Jones using his athleticism to try and make plays.

Jones seemed to be more comfortable out of the shotgun thanks to his ability to see the field better and pick up the blitz, but the offensive line could not give him much help.

"I think that we didn't do a very good job of being ready for the speed of the game," Weis said.

Still, the offensive unit could not muster any effective drives to score points.

Sharpley's first drive, which spanned seven plays for 17 yards, stalled, although he completed two of his three passes for nine yards. Sharpley was sacked seven times on the day and Weis said he would have to look at the tape to see who was at fault on those sacks.

"I just have to make sure that when I'm identifying problems, I know who is at fault. I mean, you know, too many times you sit there and blame the quarterback. Now there's certain things that you can't shun, certain things that are your responsibility. You turn, you fumble the ball; there's no one else you can blame," Weis said. "But as far as sacks or reads and all those other things, I think that is something that you have to make sure you watch the tape so you don't make the wrong deduction.

Notre Dame's first drive of the second half proved to be the longest and most sustained of the game. Sharpley took control of the reigns once again and led the team down the field to score the first and only points of the game, a field goal from freshman Brandon Walker.

In the drive, Sharpley went 5-of-6 for 42 yards, completing several key passes, one of which was fumbled during the snap. He adeptly recovered the ball and threw it to senior tight end John Carlson to create a gain out of a broken play.

However, the scoring drive was largely sustained by two defensive penalties that resulted in first downs.

Most of Sharpley's plays were from both singleback and shotgun sets. However, the main difference between Jones and Sharpley's time under center was the fact that the sophomore only attempted three passes, whereas the junior relied on his arm to make plays.

"They had a great defensive scheme," Sharpley said. "Now we have to watch film, make our adjustments and make them pay off."

With the game somewhat out of hand, Weis gave Clausen a chance to display his talent to the nation. The freshman looked poised and confident while showcasing his decision-making.

On one play, he stayed in the pocket until he had to escape. Once he was flushed out, he attempted to signal sophomore wide out George West to alter his route and make a play. Although West did not see the signal, Clausen simply ran out of bounds instead of forcing a throw.

Clausen went 4-of-6 for 34 yards, showing composure and accuracy in the huddle. However, it is worth noting that Georgia Tech had largely backed off their blitz schemes and was going with a conservative coverage plan that gave the freshman more time in the pocket. Additionally, some of the substitute defensive backs for Georgia Tech saw time while Clausen was under center.

So as the Irish go into Happy Valley to face No. 17 Penn State, Weis must go back to the drawing board and figure out who gives the team the best chance to win.

The quarterbacks were mixed as to who would start next week.

"That decision is not up to me, it's up to the coaches," Sharpley said.

Jones had another, and much more confident, take on the situation.

"Yes. I do anticipate starting next week," Jones said.

As the week progresses, and the hype of the upcoming game builds, Weis will have to answer questions about the position and make his decision. Let the speculation begin.
    http://media.www.ndsmcobserver.com/m...70-page3.shtml
    Long Article on QB Play

vCash
    From Espn.com

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- True freshman Jimmy Clausen will start for Notre Dame against Penn State on Saturday.

'I think he gives us the best chance of winning,' coach Charlie Weis said Tuesday.

Clausen was rated by many as the top high school recruit last year. Weis said Sunday that Clausen could not have started the opener because he was recovering from arthroscopic surgery to have a bone spur removed from his throwing elbow. Weis said Clausen wasn't fully healthy until last week.

"I think he's ready to run the offense. If I didn't think he was ready I wouldn't do this," Weis said. "I'm not going to play musical chairs with our quarterbacks."

Weis said Clausen was the top quarterback after spring practices, but was limited when practice began Aug. 6. He was recovering from the removal of a bone spur from his throwing elbow.

"I'm not going to play a quarterback who can't do everything, so I didn't," Weis said.

Notre Dame was held to 130 yards passing last week, ranking them 94th of 113 teams. Clausen played the final two series and was 4-of-6 passing for 34 yards and sacked once.

Saturday's 33-3 loss Saturday to Georgia Tech was the worst season-opening loss in Notre Dame history. It was the third straight game the Irish were soundly beaten, dating back to a 41-14 loss to LSU in the Sugar Bowl and a 44-24 loss to USC in the regular-season finale.

It's also the first time the Irish failed to score a touchdown in a season opener since a 20-12 loss at Michigan in 1985.

The three points are the fewest points scored by the Irish under third-year coach Weis. The previous low was in a 14-10 win in the season-opener against Georgia Tech last season.

But even more frustrating was that the Irish offense looked inept against the Yellow Jackets as Weis went through three quarterbacks trying to find a spark. Demetrius Jones tried to run the ball and Evan Sharpley and Clausen tried to pass, but none of them could find any room as the Georgia Tech defense repeatedly overpowered the Irish line.

The Irish quarterbacks were sacked nine times for a loss of 69 yards, including Sharpley being sacked seven times. Even subtracting the sack yardage from the rushing total, four Irish backs managed 44 yards rushing on 17 carries. Starting tailback Travis Thomas lost seven yards on seven carries and the Irish line was repeatedly stuffed on short-yardage situations.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

And the Jimmy Claussen era begins.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    lets hope the line protects him.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yboord028 View Post
    The line should play alot better as the year goes on. They are a very young but physically gifted group. They need to learn to mesh better. Also Gtech is one of the best blitzing teams in the country. Few teams can blitz like they can. Things should be better for the rest of the year. Maybe not leaps and bounds better but better none the less.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yboord028 View Post
    Yea, if you thought Brady Quinn's protection was bad the last few years, Clausen is going to have some real growing pains this year. Hopefully Georgia Tech's D-line was really THAT good. We know Michigan's Defense is nothing special. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Freshman can do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    Yea, if you thought Brady Quinn's protection was bad the last few years, Clausen is going to have some real growing pains this year. Hopefully Georgia Tech's D-line was really THAT good. We know Michigan's Defense is nothing special. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Freshman can do.
    In addition to the past 2 years of recruits at the Oline, who i'm telling you, will be good eventually. You have Claussen, Tate and Kumura (Wr's and tate is a kick returner) Alldridge is a sophmore, Allen, who's quicker then heck is a freshman. Weiss's tree is bearing fruit it's only a matter of time before we can eat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    In addition to the past 2 years of recruits at the Oline, who i'm telling you, will be good eventually. You have Claussen, Tate and Kumura (Wr's and tate is a kick returner) Alldridge is a sophmore, Allen, who's quicker then heck is a freshman. Weiss's tree is bearing fruit it's only a matter of time before we can eat.
    Yea, I actually have been following ND's recruiting and noticed some of the lineman (who are huge) that we've been signing. I just thought that Saturday was one of the worst O-line performances I've ever seen. But I'm pretty excited to see what Clausen can do and I think Armando Allen will be a star, I just hope we can get him more carries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    And next years recruiting class will be even better than this years. The future is bright at ND

Briella Bounce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bu115fan23 View Post
    It was pretty much, exactly what I expected. Georgia Tech is a ruthless defense, and we have what...3 freshman OLine guys. We were doomed. Although, it would have been nice to get a touchdown.

vCash
    Damn....two games into the season and still not one offensive touchdown.

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast