Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

2014 Heisman Discussion Thread

Bovada updated its Heisman odds on Tuesday, reflecting what we predicted in our post-Week 6 Heisman Watch: Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott is no longer a Heisman dark horse. In fact, Prescott ranks No. 2 behind Todd Gurley in our polling and in the updated betting odds.

Other notable movements in the Heisman odds:

Hundley up, Hundley down: Brett Hundley jumped up from 33/1 to 18/1 following his impressive performance in a rout of Arizona State. After getting sacked ten times in a home loss to Utah, the gifted quarterback fell back down (sack pun intended) to 33/1.

Heisman showdowns ahead: Expect some more shake ups at the top in the next two weeks as these contenders meet on the same field. Nick Marshall and Dak Prescott are in the feature matchup on Saturday, but Marcus Mariota and Brett Hundley will have opportunities to impress voters in Oregon-UCLA and Jameis Winston will meet Everett Golson next week when Notre Dame visits Florida State.

Off the board: BYU Taysom Hill has dropped off the board after his season-ending injury and a pair of Alabama (Derrick Henry, T.J. Yeldon) and Florida State (Karlos Williams, Rashad Greene) skill position players have been removed -- though I suppose both names could reappear with increased production in the final weeks. After losses in Week 6, Pitt running back James Conner and USC quarterback Cody Kessler dropped from 100/1 to Off the Board as well.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...scott-2nd-pick
    Check the link for full odds, but here are the top 3:

Todd Gurley
    Dak Prescott
    Nick Marshall

vCash
    Alot can change in 1 day Gurley suspended indefinitely. I don't think Melvin Gordon is getting enough credit, I think he is the best back in the country.

Hundley/Mariota are definately the better passers than both Prescott or Marshall. I'd put my money on Mariota or Hundley

vCash
    Yep, Gurley's out. Some Titans fan has already started a "Suck for Mariota" program. Prescott is getting the Tebow treatment in the media now, if that continues to gain steam he may win the Heisman because of it.

vCash
    That's pretty disappointing to hear about Todd. I can see the train starting for Prescott but I'm not sure I'm sold on him yet. I like the team they have but right now this just screams of an early hype man fading away after a bad loss. Hopefully they beat Auburn and really start convincing people. I'm still thinking Mariota is the guy but Oregon needs to get past UCLA this weekend at minimum for that to happen imo.

Catches: 14 Yards: 125 TDs: 1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    That's pretty disappointing to hear about Todd. I can see the train starting for Prescott but I'm not sure I'm sold on him yet. I like the team they have but right now this just screams of an early hype man fading away after a bad loss. Hopefully they beat Auburn and really start convincing people. I'm still thinking Mariota is the guy but Oregon needs to get past UCLA this weekend at minimum for that to happen imo.
    Mariota has some really green players on their line right now, including a few walk-ons I think. Mariota is the guy, but he's dependent on his guys protecting him. If they can't stop a basic rush without blitzing, Mariota's going to get killed.

To your point, Oregon did beat UCLA 42-30, but it looks like UCLA was on the comeback trail with 20 in the fourth quarter. They've got to lock it down late in games too.

vCash
    With the kinds of numbers Connor Halliday and Kenny Hill are putting up, I hope they get some votes even though they don't have teams around them.

vCash
    I thought Golson was going to have an outside shot earlier in the year but the last 3 weeks he has been turning the ball over like crazy. I don't think he can recover from that.

vCash
    Updated after Week 7, the top three will be posted below with the link to the full odds list.

Dak Prescott and Marcus Mariota are the not only the selections for quarterback on the CBS Sports Midseason All-America Team, but also the two names leading the updated list of Heisman Trophy odds at Bovada. Prescott remains the leader after Mississippi State knocked off Auburn in Starkville, but his odds are shade longer while the rest of the top contenders saw their odds improve. What does it suggest? Likely that the Heisman Trophy race, in its post-Gurley era, is more wide open than a Prescott-Mariota coin flip.

Other notable movements in the Heisman odds:

Still no Gurley: Though this first occurred last week after news of his suspension, it's relevant to note that he's on the practice field not back on this list for the weekly update. In terms of the Heisman Trophy race, no off-field news this season has been more impactful than Gurley's suspension to an alleged NCAA violation.

Jumping up the board faster than a Baylor touchdown drive: Only Bo Wallace's jump from off the board tops Bryce Petty's move from 33/1 to 11/2. Petty sits as the third name on the board behind Prescott and Mariota, with plenty of opportunities on the Big 12 schedule to continue putting up big numbers.

Off the board: UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley, Michigan State QB Connor Cook, Oklahoma QB Trevor Knight, Auburn RB Cameron Artis-Payne

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ion-at-the-top
    Dak Prescott
    Marcus Mariota
    Bryce Petty

vCash
    Voting from HeismanPundit.com

Prescott received seven out of 10 first-place votes and 25 total points. Here's a look at how the poll shook out this week:

1. Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State
    2. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
    3. Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
    4. (tie) Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
    4. (tie) Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor

vCash
    Updated for Week 8, the top three will be posted below. Follow the link to see the full odds list

Since losing to Virginia Tech, Ohio State has outscored opponents 224-69 and jumped right back into consideration for the Big Ten title and a College Football Playoff spot. A big reason for the Buckeyes success has been J.T. Barrett, and his improvement on the field has been reflected in the Heisman odds. Barrett showed up on the Heisman Watch this week, and his odds have moved from 50/1 to 20/1 after his impressive five touchdown outing against Rutgers.

Bryce Petty fell, but Everett Golson didn't fall that far: Another slow start and off day for Petty might have been the last straw for his Heisman chances following Baylor's loss in Morgantown. Golson, on the other hand, saw very little change after the close loss at Florida State. As the star quarterback of Notre Dame, Golson will be in the conversation as long as the Irish are contending for a playoff spot.

Welcome Kevin White: West Virginia wide receiver Kevin White could not go another week without appearing on the board. White does not have a great shot at winning the Heisman Trophy over a title-contending quarterback, but his productive season is worth noting. White has recorded at least six catches and 100 receiving in every game this season, totaling 1,020 yards and seven touchdowns through seven games.

Keep your eye on Cato: Rakeem Cato, No. 5 on my Heisman Watch ballot this week, could see his odds improve as the season winds down and Marshall, likely, remains undefeated. Cato's Heisman odds are likely tied to the Herd finishing 12-0, an accomplishment that won't earn a spot in the College Football Playoff but should result in a boost to Cato's chances in the individual awards.

Off the board: Texas A&M quarterback Kenny Hill and Oklahoma running back Semaje Perine

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...tinues-to-rise
    Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
    Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State
    Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin

vCash
    Bovoda's rankings, Mariota is running away with the award

vCash
    I agree with that. Mariota really can only lose this award.

Catches: 14 Yards: 125 TDs: 1

vCash
    Gordon's historic day is going to put him really close to Mariota. I think if Oregon wins out, Mariota will still win it, but if Oregon slips up, I could see Gordon winning.

vCash
    There has been a shake up in the Heisman Trophy odds from Bovada. None of these changes should come as a huge surprise as Dak Prescott took a hit following a three-turnover performance in a loss to Alabama, and Melvin Gordon made his case for an invitation to New York City with 408 rushing yards against Nebraska, setting a new FBS single-game record. Gordon has always been hovering around the top of the Bovada odds list, but Saturday's performance and the increased chances of hitting the 2,000-yard barrier make him the next best option for a winner behind Marcus Mariota.

A few more observations from the recent odds list release:

Will J.T. Barrett be a finalist? Just two weeks ago, Barrett was down at 50/1, now he's the third name on this list. Here is where I would caution readers to remember that Bovada is setting the odds of winning the Heisman Trophy, not just finishing as a finalist. If Barrett continues at his current pace and Ohio State wins the Big Ten and makes the playoff, you can bet Barrett will collect plenty of votes. But his chances of being a finalist depend as much on what happens to Oregon, TCU and Mississippi State as what happens to the Buckeyes.

Playoff-bound or no, Mariota has earned a trip to New York City. We have become so accustomed to Mariota being good that we might be ignoring the details of one of his best seasons yet. Mariota leads the country in passer rating, touchdown-interception ratio (29 touchdowns, two interceptions) and yards per attempt (10.0). The Ducks star also averages 5.89 yards per carry running the ball and has eight rushing touchdowns on the season. Mariota is clearly the favorite to win the award, but even an Oregon loss should not knock him from a top three spot on any Heisman voter's ballot.

Off the board: Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper, Nebraska running back Ameer Abdullah and Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall were taken off the board following Week 12 results.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ing-fbs-record
    Top three as far as odds go are:

Marcus Mariota: 1/3
    Melvin Gordon 5/2
    JT Barrett 15/1

vCash
    Its either Mariota or Gordon at this point IMO and Mariota is gonna have to have a complete stinker of a game which I can't see happening at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast