Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

NCAA Playoff Selection Committee

I don't know if anybody else had posted or seen the actual committee.

(Head Chair) Jeff Long - Arkansas Athletic Director

Barry Alvarez - Wisconsin Athletic Director

Mike Gould - Former Superintendent of The United States Air Force Academy

Pat Haden - USC Athletic Director

Tom Jernstedt - Former NCAA Vice-President

Oliver Luck - West Virginia Athletic Director

Archie Manning - NCAA Quarterback and NFL All-Pro Quarterback

Tom Osborne - Former Nebraska Head Coach and Athletic Director

Dan Radakovich - Clemson Athletic Director

Condoleezza Rice - Former Stanford Professor/Provost, Former Board of Directors at Notre Dame and United States Secretary of the State.

Mike Tranghese - Former Big East Commissioner

Steve Weiberg - Former USA Today College Football Reporter

Tyrone Willingham - Former head coach at Stanford, Washington and Notre Dame with multiple other assistant coaching positions.

I'm gonna nitpick but here is what I think

In my opinion I think its BS that you have 5 guys on the committee that are current Athletic Directors at BCS division teams. There is no way you can tell me that they were unable to find a panel of 13 members without such obvious potential bias. Supposedly the rule they have in place for this is that they have to leave the room when there program gets brought up for discussion. Yeah that solves everything because you know they are gonna do the right thing when their team is sitting at #5 and the #4 team in the country is up for discussion right....

I can't help but feel like Archie Manning being on this board is more due to Peyton than what Archie accomplished in his career.

I don't like that you have Condoleezza Rice and Willingham both on this panel when they have worked together at Stanford and both have Notre Dame connections with her vouching for him to get that job as well. It seems to me that you shouldn't have 2 people on this panel that have worked so closely together in the past.

You have 8 of the 13 members with ties to either the SEC or Pac-12.

vCash
    The committee is a joke. They finally figured out a playoff was the way to go but of course they had to **** it up. They should have gone with an eight team tournament and stuck with the computers to avoid controversy. If you thought the BCS was controversial wait until you what happens with this.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    Isn't Archie Manning off the committee for some reason or another?

I'm also not a fan of having the active ADs on the committees. I understand the reasoning, but there has to be a better way. Maybe have the ADs from each conference select an individual to represent their conference who isn't actively affiliated with a school. The head chair being an AD is even worse.

If SCR wants to nitpick further, the former superintendent of the Air Force Academy is likely to side with Notre Dame as an independent too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Isn't Archie Manning off the committee for some reason or another?

I'm also not a fan of having the active ADs on the committees. I understand the reasoning, but there has to be a better way. Maybe have the ADs from each conference select an individual to represent their conference who isn't actively affiliated with a school. The head chair being an AD is even worse.

If SCR wants to nitpick further, the former superintendent of the Air Force Academy is likely to side with Notre Dame as an independent too.
    Yeah Archie was off for medical reason IIRC.

Catches: 14 Yards: 125 TDs: 1

vCash
    Top 25 from the committee coming up live on ESPN.

vCash
    Top 6:

1.) Mississippi State
    2.) Florida State
    3.) Auburn
    4.) Ole Miss
    5.) Alabama
    6.) Oregon

Auburn and Ole Miss play this weekend, so one is getting eliminated.

vCash
    I dont like having current AD's on the committee. How are you supposed to be focus on your own schools teams and watch hours of tape?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbro732 View Post
    I dont like having current AD's on the committee. How are you supposed to be focus on your own schools teams and watch hours of tape?
    Agreed, especially when you have no shortage of quality candidates. Some former ADs? Absolutely, and a former AD is on the board, as well as a former head of the Air Force Academy. The key word there is former.

vCash
    Top 6:

1.) Mississippi State
    2.) Florida State
    3.) Auburn
    4.) Ole Miss
    5.) Alabama
    6.) Oregon

Auburn and Ole Miss play this weekend, so one is getting eliminated.
    Imagine the stink if those were final. You have Ole Miss getting in as the #4 when they are #7 and #9 in the AP and Coaches Polls.

In seasons where you don't have a clear cut top 4 this is gonna create a total **** fit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Imagine the stink if those were final. You have Ole Miss getting in as the #4 when they are #7 and #9 in the AP and Coaches Polls.

In seasons where you don't have a clear cut top 4 this is gonna create a total **** fit.
    I know that these rankings will be drastically changed by the end of the season but the 3/4 being SEC teams creates a pretty bad precedent especially because Ole Miss is not really deserving at all.

They've beat Alabama and lost to LSU... and that's it. They have no other win of note on their schedule. Oregon has at least beat 2 ranked teams and lost to a 1 loss team (as opposed to a 2 loss team).

This is going to incentivize the SEC not scheduling anyone in non-conference because they know even playing SCLSU Muddogs non-conference that the committee will look at their SEC schedule and drool (even when they haven't really played half of their schedule).
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

vCash
    Looks like Notre Dame's "good loss" did nothing for them.

What's crazy about this committee being so small and all having equal votes is if you're the AD at a school who's ranked 5th then you could theoretically vote the 4th ranked school as 20th or something and lower their average significantly.

vCash
    I am disappointed about ND's loss, but also Ole Miss being ranked so high and in the playoff after a loss is also puzzling.

What do you guys think about the possibility of the first rankings coming back at the end and having some say on the final rankings? Personally, I don't think they should have any bearing, but just about every major news site is coming out with articles saying they will.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    Looks like Notre Dame's "good loss" did nothing for them.

What's crazy about this committee being so small and all having equal votes is if you're the AD at a school who's ranked 5th then you could theoretically vote the 4th ranked school as 20th or something and lower their average significantly.
    Exactly. That is why people currently affiliated with any BCS program has no business on this committee. It goes beyond their own school as well. Because the schools split the money from these games. So Arkansas for example benefits from every SEC school that gets into the playoff. So when these athletic directors vote to keep somebody from their conference out they are literally costing the program they are over money.... That is a major conflict of interests.

I am disappointed about ND's loss, but also Ole Miss being ranked so high and in the playoff after a loss is also puzzling.

What do you guys think about the possibility of the first rankings coming back at the end and having some say on the final rankings? Personally, I don't think they should have any bearing, but just about every major news site is coming out with articles saying they will.
    I don't see why we even have to get these rankings until the end. I believe you brought it up in here that by the end of the season how many times will they have argued for Team A over Team B. It should be done one time at the end of the season. Because once you sit down and make rankings its hard for a person to overturn their own rankings without something significant impacting their decision.

I don't want to see somebody making a close decision simply based on sticking to how they felt in October.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I know that these rankings will be drastically changed by the end of the season but the 3/4 being SEC teams creates a pretty bad precedent especially because Ole Miss is not really deserving at all.

They've beat Alabama and lost to LSU... and that's it. They have no other win of note on their schedule. Oregon has at least beat 2 ranked teams and lost to a 1 loss team (as opposed to a 2 loss team).

This is going to incentivize the SEC not scheduling anyone in non-conference because they know even playing SCLSU Muddogs non-conference that the committee will look at their SEC schedule and drool (even when they haven't really played half of their schedule).
    Why would you schedule a bunch of hard games non-conference? Usually in the SEC they end up playing 6-8 ranked teams just in conference. If you don't win your conference you are pretty much gonna have to go 11-1 or 10-2 with a hard schedule most years.

Its not like the other conferences are scheduling murderer's row for their non-conference games. For every SEC game that coasts non-conference you have a Georgia that schedules Clemson and Georgia Tech or Florida that schedules Miami and Florida State.

vCash
    Every week is a bit ridiculous, it's not just me, everyone thinks that. I think they should get together at most three times- pre-season, the middle and their final rankings at the end of the season.

vCash
    So these athletic directors have the time to watch all these top teams play? Surely they aren't ranking these teams without watching them play..... right?

Just another reason guys that are currently in such important positions within in the NCAA shouldn't be on this committee. There are plenty of qualified people out there with much less reason for bias and with much more time to research the teams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast