D-Rob with a letter to his younger self via The Players Tribune. Good stuff by Robinson here. Great guy

Dear 18-year-old David,

Please allow me to give you fair warning about something from the future.
Tomorrow morning, you’re going to take your first swim test at the U.S. Naval Academy. Believe it or not, the Navy requires plebes to actually be able to swim.

Of course, you know that part already. You’re in good shape, right? What’s a little morning swim?

But what you might not realize is just how long 20 minutes of treading water feels like.

That’s right, 20 minutes.

When you first get into the pool, you’re going to be feeling good. But after 10 minutes, your arms and legs are going to be burning so bad you’ll want to quit. After 15? I don’t even want to tell you.

But you’ll think about your dad, and what he’d say if you failed, and you’ll find a way to keep your head above water for 20 minutes.

The only problem is, you’re not done yet. Your stone-faced water survival instructor will bark, “Alright, next up: 100-meter crawl stroke.”

There’s no break. There’s no, “Sir, can I catch my wind?”

You are overboard in deep open water without a PFD (personal floatation device), or at least that’s what your instructor is yelling. Sink or swim, plebe.
You choose to swim.

More: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/let...avid-robinson/