Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Dragons to Be Purchased by New York-Based Investment Group

The New York Dragons will be purchased by a New York-based investment group from current owner Charles Wang this July, pending approval by the Arena Football League Board of Directors. Financial details of the pending acquisition were not disclosed.

The purchasing group plans to invest in the franchise and to enhance the experience for fans and to broaden the franchise's appeal across the New York metropolitan area.

"We are deeply committed to this franchise. Our goal is to build a successful franchise and a winning tradition," stated Steven Silva, the Long Island native who serves as the managing member of the investment group.

"We're thrilled to be working with the New York Dragons. This is a life-long dream, to be part of a major sports franchise right here in New York," Mr. Silva stated. "We're looking forward to approval by the AFL Board and to getting started in making this the most successful franchise it can be.

Mr. Silva has spoken with New York Dragons Coach Weylan Harding and quarterback Aaron Garcia about the group's plans to build the franchise.

"I'm very excited about the plans to take this franchise to the next level," stated Coach Harding. "The new ownership group shares my enthusiasm for this team and this sport, and I'm looking forward to seeing more New York sports fans getting involved in New York Dragons football."

The team, which started out as the Des Moines, Iowa Barnstormers, was acquired in 2000 by a group led by Mr. Wang and relocated to New York, where they began playing as the New York Dragons at the Nassau Coliseum in 2001. The team will continue to play at the Nassau Coliseum under the new ownership.

The New York Dragons have won three Eastern Division Championships. They have played in the AFL's National Conference playoffs in 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2008.
    http://www.newyorkdragons.com/news/archive.asp?id=1232
    i'm very happy. wang sucks. maybe they'll change the logo. i hate sparky the dragon

vCash
    Wow, the cost is $20M for an expansion team, that's not terrible...

vCash
    bad investment