• 5 years

1 1.96%
  • 10 years

4 7.84%
  • 15 or more

2 3.92%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    vCash
    Gotta weigh in again. The reason I look at a merge seriously is because I see the Bills experiment in T.O. as a slippery slope and don't like what could come of it if narrow minded people blindly support the process it's starting.

If the NFL relocated/expanded into Toronto I think it sounds the death knell for the Argonauts. Unless it's in a Leaf's jersey or waves the stars and stripes, Torontonians won't support it. The exception has always been the Argos, but I don't think there are enough football fans there to support two teams in two leagues. Period.

Kill the Argos and you either kill or maim the CFL and I don't like either scenario. If the NFL comes to Canada it needs to work with the CFL to keep good quality pro football in the whole of the country or stay the hell out altogether. Despite what a bunch of pigheaded arrogant blowhards seem to think, the talent level is actually pretty good, albeit different.

If I had my way, the CFL would expand into the maritimes, Quebec City and Kitchener/Waterloo and re-establish a franchise in Ottawa. Get some more revenue from the new cities and see if corporate Canada can't start waving the flag.

Me and my buddies figured the NFL is probably inevitable so we looked at a way to merge the two in a way that would actually improve both versions by eliminating the garbage rules. Yeah, it would take years to work out the bugs, and yes it would hit the pocketbooks of a bunch of overpaid players and team owners, but you gotta know the NFLPA would drool at the prospect of adding 400 new players to its membership. I`m betting they`d be onside if nothing else.

Packers 27, Roughriders 18
    Patriots 84, Tigercats 3
    Stampeders 21, Eagles 21 (had to throw that one in)

vCash
    I am not a big fan of the NFL moving into Canada either. I'm a Bombers fan and love the CFL. I barely even pay attention to the NFL. But you are looking at this as a CFL fan who wouldn't like to see his team go. You are suggesting a best case scenario for the Canadian teams in every area and counting on all the American teams to be charitable on top of that just so that Canada has teams all throughout Canada. I like a happy story and I like my football team but the CFL merging with the NFL is a story that is not going to happen.

As for CFL expansion, that is something that they seriously need to look at. You should go back and look at some of the old threads. I believe there are 2 on expansion that have some good points about it. The CFL should continue to worry about themselves and not dwell on something that is out of their control (NFL expanding to Canada).

vCash
    How can major Football market in the States merge with A small Canadian football market

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbs View Post
    How can major Football market in the States merge with A small Canadian football market
    If it were then when would the season start would it start in June or September
    would there be A grey cup or Superbowl
    Never bet on It period get that

vCash
    this would be terrible. I don't really see why Toronto getting a NFL team would totally crush the CFL anyways. Hamilton would lose their team but other then that, the west should be ok. I would never want to see a merge though. That would be ********

vCash

NFL/CFL merger.

It would be more of absorbing the CFL than merging with it; example the ABA/NBA.
    If the NFL were to do this, it would only do so by taking four CFL teams, or at least two with possible additions in the lower-48. These teams/franchises would be the most financially stable in the largest metro-area television markets, such as B.C. (Vancouver), Toronto, Montreal, and either Edmonton or Calgary.
    The incorporation into the NFL would be a monetary windfall for those who make the cut; TV revenue, money for stadium upgrades to optimize concession and paraphernalia sales, apparel and gear affiliated with the teams.
    There would be a an infusion of NFL caliber talent earmarked for the teams North-of-the-boarder, through free-agency, the collegiate and supplemental drafts.
    This much more logical than seeding an expansion team in London and so forth; the logistics just aren't there.

vCash
    Just got on this, a merger, WTF for. Is the NFL going to change their schedule. Great watching a game in Edmonton or Winnipeg or Regina or Montreal or Hamilton in December or January. You get NFL guys up here and they can't hack it, because the fields too big, theres too much motion, which means they actually have to think, and there's too many guys running around the field. And if they want Toronto, take them, teams in Montreal, Ottawa[soon], branch out to the east coast and Hamilton will survive somewhere. And the West is set. Put a team in London and we have 5 in the west and 5 in the east even without Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnall View Post
    Just got on this, a merger, WTF for. Is the NFL going to change their schedule. Great watching a game in Edmonton or Winnipeg or Regina or Montreal or Hamilton in December or January. You get NFL guys up here and they can't hack it, because the fields too big, theres too much motion, which means they actually have to think, and there's too many guys running around the field. And if they want Toronto, take them, teams in Montreal, Ottawa[soon], branch out to the east coast and Hamilton will survive somewhere. And the West is set. Put a team in London and we have 5 in the west and 5 in the east even without Toronto.
    I agree with saying 'screw Toronto' because they really provide little to nothing to the CFL, probably less then 5% of revenue. But TSN would pull tv revenue so quick if the CFL pulled out of Toronto.

vCash
    A merge will never happen. It just doesn't make sence for anyone. I could see the nfl expanding to Toronto though. It's been the only Canadian city where Canadian expansions have worked and even flourished.

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    First off, it wouldn't be a "merger". The CFL would merely be absorbed into the NFL. That being said, it ain't happening! lol. I do think the Bills thing in Toronto is their way of safely feeling things out there, and as soon as their owner passes away it might happen. I would expect to see a team in Canada in the next 5 to 10 years. LA gets a team first! Canada second. 10 years ago i would have said Mexico second, but with all the cartel/security problems down there i now see that as far down the road.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange&Black55 View Post
    First off, it wouldn't be a "merger". The CFL would merely be absorbed into the NFL. That being said, it ain't happening! lol. I do think the Bills thing in Toronto is their way of safely feeling things out there, and as soon as their owner passes away it might happen. I would expect to see a team in Canada in the next 5 to 10 years. LA gets a team first! Canada second. 10 years ago i would have said Mexico second, but with all the cartel/security problems down there i now see that as far down the road.
    They haven't sold out 1 game in Toronto with the regular NFL ticket price. Don't see why the NFL would want to come here. LA, your right will get the next team but I disagree with Mexico City, with 25m people I see $ signs in the NFL front office. But you never know what the next 10 years bring. I would rather see the CFL in the Maritimes, London or Quebec City, Ottawa and maybe Victoria. Winnipeg back to the West and we have 12 teams 6 in west and 6 in East.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by da phins View Post
    can you see it happening or no?

tell me the pros and cons
    Yes, I can see it happening. The Canadian Parliament has blocked the NFL from coming into Canada before. I can see it happening again unless the CFL feels its in the best of Canadian Football.

If Green Bay and New Orleans can support Football so can Toronto, BC, Calgary, and Edmonton. I can even see the Saskatchewon and Winnipeg getting a team.

vCash
    It will never happen. I think the reasons go far beyond just football and move into political reasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1978 View Post
    If Green Bay and New Orleans can support Football so can Toronto, BC, Calgary, and Edmonton. I can even see the Saskatchewon and Winnipeg getting a team.
    I'm not really following what you meant by this.

Green Bay and New Orleans have two of the most dedicated
    fan bases in all the NFL, who consistently work extremely
    hard as communities to keep their teams alive. When you
    say it like "If GB and NO can support..." it makes it seem
    like you think those places are "small markets with
    not much support". That is far, far from true.

I personally would be all for a merger, but I'm extremely
    atypical in that sentiment, I know.
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    I remember the CFL expanded into the US in the '90's but I don't think that worked out very well. I honestly do wish it did succeed since that would mean football all year long.

I have never been to Canada before but I wonder if taxpayers would be willing to build new football stadiums for $800 million dollars to $1 billion (in American dollars) each because it seems like the going price for new NFL stadiums.

Due to the long term economy of western & upstate New York, I can't really see the Bills staying in Buffalo 25 years down the road. I think the Bills could eventualy relocate to Toronto and I don't think the NFL will accept the Rogers Centre so you will have to build a new stadium. BC Palace isn't going to be enough and the HHH Dome in Minnesota is going to be replaced and it is very similiar to BC Palace.

IT won't be long before the NFL has a shiny new stadium for every team and there will not be a NFL owner who can use the threat of moving his team to Los Angeles as a way to get the city to build a new stadium. There could be two Los Angeles teams, two Canada teams, one London team, and one more team that would need to go somewhere which would mean 36 NFL teams. I don't see how they can divide the NFL up with 34 teams.

I find it also interesting that Montreal was never mentioned in this thread unless I missed it somewhere.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast