By the way, great sig man!
Aren't the Yankees still paying Burnett? It was like $8 million if I remember right.
It would be nice to see 2013 and 2014 side by side (by commitments). When looking at this in COTs, coming up next offseason will be Cano, Grandy, Hughes, Joba and Logan. The policy of not discussing deals during their current contracts is stupid to me. If the Yanks want to get under $189, there is no way to keep both Grandy and Cano, even if you have Jeter, Mo, Kuroda, Andy and others falling off the books (as you know they need to be replaced).
- Jeter will be back in 2014 but at 10 mil.
- Kuroda, Mo and Andy are gone. Since they are all pitchers, you have to sign Hughes now to a team friendly contract (5-50). Even Joba to replace Mo (5-35). I would not trade Nova since he is under control. Same for Phelps and Pineda.
- Logan on the cheap (if possible).
- Consider trading Cano now. He will cost way too much. Plus you have Adams waiting in the wings. Of course, I wouldnt want to since he is the best 2nd baseman out there but that 8 to 10 yr contract is just not feasible to get to goal.
- Trade Grandy. If you can resign Hamilton for 4 yrs, go ahead (after you drop Cano and Grandy)
- Consider Ronnier M (or someone in the farm) for the outfield. You have to promote from within to get this done. Add itchy for bench help.
- Catcher will come from within. Romine needs to step up. Cervelli just have to hold down the fort until he is ready.
- Nunez is your trade bait as well. I like him at SS if he can get his act together but maybe in your trade of Grandy or Cano you can get your SS and 3rd base of the future.
You can get under $189 and still be competitive.
You also have to include draft bonuses and IFA numbers. That's another $15m.
Look at our free agent class after next season :laugh2:
half the team
Spreadsheet is great but it's not the cap numbers, it's the actual numbers. Not AAv.