Yes Adams will replace Cano with his .205 BA 7 hr 20 XBH and stellar D.... People if you think Adams is going to replace Cano you have another thing coming... We dont have the best luck when it comes to prospects and they are just that PROSPECTS... Dont count your chickens until they hatch...
The problem as I see it comes down to a lack of strategy. Either you spend money and you're in on guys like Hamilton or you trade your Cano type players to re-tool your farm system. This purgatory phase we are in reminds me of the 80s, the last time we lost George, and its no fun.
Personally, I'd like to see the Yankees spend a couple of years trying to re-tool and then come out and start spending on some free agent talent to get them over the hump. The team we have now is just mediocre. We don't have the money to spend with the $189 mil edict and our farm is just not ready to be a support system for the major league club. Since we do have financial resources, I really think we can become significant again in 2-3 years.
Here is some off the cuff suggestions (forget no trade clauses and all the junk, leave that to the GMs; these are just ideas/possibilities):
1. Trade Sabbathia to Texas for Olt, Profar + pitching prospect. CC gives them the ace they need to get over the hump. Olt is blocked by Beltre. Profar is blocked by Andrus. We get our future SS and 3B.
2. Trade Granderson. I'm not sure that I see him having much value. But, he does have power and would provide some leadership to a young team. Seattle has a stocked farm. We should be able to get one top prospect and one B level prospect for him. Maybe a future OF or 1B.
3. Trade Cano to the highest bidder and be creative. 3 way deal with Miami for Stanton? 3 way deal to Arizona for Justin Upton? We should be able to get some good value in return.
4. Hughes and Gardner. Both are approaching FA and aren't so cheap any more. By the time this team gets back on track, they will be on the wrong side of 30. Let's hope that they have a good first half and see what we could get at the all star break in terms of prospects.
5. Trade Tex. Perhaps he would welcome an opportunity to go back home to the Baltimore/Washington DC area. Both can use a power hitting 1B. We continue to stock pile young talent for our re-emergence. Perhaps some more pitching options.
6. Bring up the kids soon. Let them play and make their mistakes.
7. Be patient with A-Rod. He will try to come back, but his ego will push him to retirement when he is a shell of his former self.
8. Be more active in the international market. Something isn't working in terms of scouting. Too many players over the past couple of years that we should have been in on and weren't (e.g. Darvish, Chapman, Soler)
9. Start grooming Jeter to take over as manager when we are ready to re-emerge. By then his career will be over. The kids will respect him and listen to his advice. Wouldn't it be a great story to have Jeter manage the next dynasty?
9. Let Hal taste defeat. See the impact on the clubs cash flow, valuation and significance. Make him decide to either sell the franchise or be his father's son.
10. Luxory tax is re-set. Get ready to spend on some key free agents once the team nucleus is set. Verlander? Price? Harper? All kinds of interesting opportunities present themselves.
I love the concept of trading our old, expensive players for young, cheaper ones. Why don't the GMs think of this?
Cano will be a Yankee for life.
It is such an oxymoron to preach austerity nonsense in 2013 and then give a second basemen 180 million the next offseason
The Dodgers would trade Kemp to improve their roster. Cano is one of the best pure hitters in baseball. They start Mark Ellis at 2B and Cano would be a huge upgrade. Granderson has hit 84 Hrs last 2 years and Hughes could start or provide quality depth in bullpen. Dodgers would be getting the better end of the deal, but I don't think the Yankees will or should sign Cano to 8-10 year deal. They need to get something this year before he leaves as a free agent. If Adams isn't ready for 2B then play Nix or Gordon.
That's why I'd find a match with Colorado.... Perhaps a package of Rosario,Rutledge, Gonzalez and Cuddyer for Cano, Romine, Gardener, Nova? I like it....Even the money works in both directions... If they do not make a move this year then they put themselves at a disadvantage ...