Not sure how I feel, I guess I can cancel showtime and watch homeland on dvd
Not sure how I feel, I guess I can cancel showtime and watch homeland on dvd
Good riddance, it's become a joke of a company anyways.
I'm sure that Zuffa is probably looking at this favorably because now they get those Strikeforce fighters to pull into the UFC but honestly I think this is bad for the UFC. Because can certainly be looked upon as bad business practice by Zuffa. They put on such poor events and purposely mismanaged a company where they had obligations to a television provider to hold events.
So what happens if Fox decides they aren't happy with their numbers and they have to negotiate with another company? They have already burned bridges several television companies and now add Showtime to that list.
Also what happens to the women's division?
At least we get to see some interesting matchups now. I'm interested in seeing Rockhold Vs. A.Silva if they unify the titles. Also Marquardt Vs. GSP would be awesome to see as well! I wonder what is gonna happen to Rondy Rousey though since there is no women's division in the UFC ?:confused:
Not looking good for SF:
Strikeforce cancels Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, plans January return
Strikeforce has canceled its Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, the organization today announced.
Injuries to headliner Frank Mir, as well as co-headliner and middleweight champion Luke Rockhold, prompted the cancellation, officials stated in today's release.
While rumors of the organization's potential demise have swirled in recent weeks, Strikeforce and Showtime officials stated they plan to host the next Strikeforce event in January at a location to be announced.
However, officials said the card will be "stacked," and details will be announced in the coming days.
"We don't want to put on cards unless they're of the caliber that fans who pay for a subscription have come to expect," a Showtime rep today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
The Nov. 3 event was slated to take place at Chesapeake Energy Arena. The main card was slated to air on Showtime following prelims on Showtime Extreme.
"Due to a series of injuries, we were forced to cancel the upcoming card on Nov. 3, but are already working to put together a stacked card in January," Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker stated.
In his final Strikeforce fight, Daniel Cormier was expected to fight former UFC heavyweight champion Mir before his own move to the UFC. However, Mir was forced off the card with an injury. So, too, was Rockhold, who was slated to fight Lorenz Larkin in the night's co-headliner.
"While we're disappointed with the cancellation, we are looking forward to an even bigger Strikeforce event on Showtime early next year," stated Stephen Espinoza, Showtime Sports' executive vice president and general manager.
Affected by the cancellation are Tim Kennedy and Trevor Smith, who were booked to fight at the event, as were Bobby Green and Jorge Masvidal. Former title challenger Liz Carmouche also was expected to fight at the event.
The cancellation comes after Zuffa, the UFC and Strikeforce's parent company, canceled the Sept. 1 UFC 151 event, as well as a Sept. 29 "Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy" event.
Just ****ing end this crap already
So what about all these fighters under contract is it legally acceptable or them to just be sitting around not getting paid because Strikeforce is cancelling events left and right.... Like right now if I were Daniel Cormier I would be mad as hell. He is probably thinking just give me my damn last fight already.
It was about time. UFC is starting to suck. PPVs suck I used to buy at least 3 a year, so far 0...
I am definitely against women's MMA in UFC. It's going to take up space on cards. I'm not trying to be misogynistic but the women can't fight. They have bad technique, there is only three good fighters in the division. Cyborg, Rousey and Tate, and only two of those are actually title contenders (Cyborg and Rousey). Like Dana said, there is not enough women to make a division. Cyborg can't fight at 135. So what will happen?
The thing I am excited about is the LHW and LW additions. Cavalcante, Gegard, Melendez is coming over. The LW division will be stacked.
But honestly I felt and still feel the same way about the Flyweight division and they had no problem creating that division that still only has like 10-12 guys.
Strikeforce not done yet:
Strikeforce on Jan. 12: Melendez-Healy, Rockhold-Larkin, Marquardt-Saffiedine title fights
Not the best of matchups, but at this point, SF doesn't have the roster to do much better.Quote:
Strikeforce's next event will feature three title fights and the return of its heavyweight grand prix winner.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with company officials the bouts include lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez (21-2 MMA, 11-1 SF) vs. Pat Healy (28-16 MMA, 6-1 SF), middleweight champion Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF) vs. Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF), and welterweight champion Nate Marquardt (32-10-2 MMA, 1-0 SF) vs. Tarec Saffiedine (13-3 MMA, 3-1 SF).
Additionally, Daniel Cormier (10-0 MMA, 7-0 SF) will fight fellow heavyweight Dion Staring (28-7 MMA, 0-0 SF) at the Jan. 12 event.
The event takes place at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, which also was scheduled to host a Nov. 3 event. However, the show was canceled following a series of injuries to some of the key fighters. It was Strikeforce's second straight cancellation.
However, officials promised a stacked card upon its return to Showtime and Showtime Extreme in January, and on paper, they've delivered with this latest offering.
Melendez in May beat rival Josh Thomson in a hard-fought split-decision for his seventh consecutive win and fourth straight title defense. He was booked for a September bout against Healy before suffering a training injury that knocked him off the card, then put the card down for the count altogether, the first of the two consecutive Strikeforce event cancellations. Healy earned his shot at the title thanks to five straight Strikeforce wins and eight victories in his past nine overall fights. In July he beat Mizuto Hirota.
MMAjunkie.com late Wednesday was first to report that Rockhold would defend his middleweight title against Larkin on the card. Rockhold and Larkin were scheduled to meet in the Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City before a Rockhold wrist injury forced him out of the fight. Soon after, the card was scrapped altogether.
Rockhold twice has defended his title twice since winning it against Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza in September 2011. In January, he stopped Keith Jardine in the first round. And in July, in a long-awaited fight, he took a unanimous decision against Tim Kennedy. Larkin comes off a unanimous decision sweep of Robbie Lawler in July in his first fight after dropping from light heavyweight to 185 pounds.
Marquardt will defend his title for the first time after stopping Tyron Woodley with a fourth-round knockout in July. That was his return to the Zuffa banner after being cut by the UFC in June 2011 after failing to get medical clearance for his main event against Rick Story at UFC on Versus 4. The failed clearance stemmed from a spike in doctor-approved testosterone replacement therapy, he later revealed. He signed with BAMMA, but was released from his deal with the British promotion before ever fighting for it. Saffiedine in August took a unanimous decision against Roger Bowling in San Diego. After the fight, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said he was unsure if Saffiedine would get the first shot at Marquardt, but now that will indeed be the case.
Cormier remains on the Oklahoma City card after being its original headliner for the canceled Nov. 3 show, but things certainly have changed. Cormier, who wrestled collegiately at nearby Oklahoma State, was set to fight former UFC champion Frank Mir in the main event. Now he has three title fights ahead of him at the event, at least according to traditional MMA main-card pecking order, and he's facing a journeyman making his Strikeforce debut – though that journeyman is the main training partner of Alistair Overeem.
Cormier is likely headed for the UFC following this fight, which will be the final heavyweight bout for Strikeforce after the promotion decided nearly a year ago to dissolve the division and focus on the other weight classes. Cormier dominated Josh Barnett to win the Strikeforce heavyweight tournament earlier this year. Staring has won nine of his past 10 fights with seven by stoppage.
The card so far:
Champ Gilbert Melendez vs. Pat Healy - for lightweight title
Champ Luke Rockhold vs. Lorenz Larkin - for middleweight title
Champ Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine - for welterweight title
Daniel Cormier vs. Dion Staring
I think Showtime's deal expires sometime in February-March, which could mean, this is the last SF card we'll see...
Daniel Cormier vs. Dion Staring? :confused:
Gonna be a great card though
That didn't take long, the January card will be the last one one to air before they fold for good. It was about time and I can't wait to see Mousasi, Melendez, Cormier, Barnett (maybe?), Jacare etc finally fight in the UFC.