PDA

View Full Version : Going to The Federal in Miami Beach this Friday...

BroadwayJoe
12-23-2012, 12:09 AM
for all my fellow foodies, this is where i'm going for my birfffffday dinner. very excited to go back to this awesome place. here's the menu for the 2-3 of you who care (bmd, treez and ruckus).

http://www.thefederalmiami.com/images/uploads/menu/111012_dinner.JPG

BroadwayJoe
12-23-2012, 12:11 AM
the jar o' duck, garlic shrimp, pork chop and southwestern mac n' cheese are HOT FIYAHHHH. i'm looking forward to trying some new dishes, too, like the roasted chicken, the soft shell crab po boy and the tartare.

db75
12-25-2012, 04:51 AM
The beet salad and crab po boy...i could fux wif dat.

BroadwayJoe
12-25-2012, 08:06 AM
The beet salad and crab po boy...i could fux wif dat.

my friend got the beet salad last time he went and said it was HOT FIYAHHHH

i'm actually thinking about switching the reservation to eating house (http://eatinghousemiami.com/menus.html), a "pop restaurant" in coral gables. their menu has led me to cream myself several times.

HOWE do i do it
12-25-2012, 09:01 AM
my friend got the beet salad last time he went and said it was HOT FIYAHHHH

i'm actually thinking about switching the reservation to eating house (http://eatinghousemiami.com/menus.html), a "pop restaurant" in coral gables. their menu has led me to cream myself several times.

Damnnnnnn. Go there.

Cromedome
12-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Garlic shrimp....steak with mac & cheese...jumbo cheese biskit.

I'm starving.

BroadwayJoe
12-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Damnnnnnn. Go there.

yeah, i'm seriously considering it, but the federal is great too. i've just never been to eating house.

my best friend (who's married to lolo's best friend) and i have the same birfffday, so we always go out together and they always let me choose the place. i'm made 3 different reservations and cancelled them already. this would be the 4th, but i don't think i can pass up steak tartare banh mi, bone marrow, and chicken and foie gras-infused waffles with candied bacon. i mean, that's basically all my favorite things (except oysters and a few other things) in one meal. supposedly the pasta carbonara is ridiculous there (an italian friend, as in FROM ITALY, said it was better than what she's had back home).

popo85
12-25-2012, 03:32 PM

I'm starving.

that sounds good

BroadwayJoe
12-25-2012, 03:38 PM

I'm starving.

that sounds good

i've had all 3 of those already... they are ****ing amazing. all of them.

db75
12-27-2012, 03:15 AM
The ribeye from Eating House sounds like pure sex.

BroadwayJoe
12-27-2012, 11:34 AM
The ribeye from Eating House sounds like pure sex.

yeah, they just added that yesterday, along with the general tso's ox-tail and the elvis dessert

i switched the reservation to eating house... i think i'm going with the bone marrow, the chicken and foie-waffles, and the pasta carbonara or the steak tartare banh mi.

i've been stalking this menu for days. i'm pathetic, i know...

HOWE do i do it
12-27-2012, 12:46 PM
I would go with either the pork belly, foie-ffles. or ribeye.

BroadwayJoe
12-27-2012, 03:50 PM
although very unassuming from the menu, supposedly the tomatoes are ****ing amazing (the coconut milk ice apparently takes the dish over the top)

Buckwheat
12-27-2012, 10:46 PM
smore belgium waffles :drool:

BroadwayJoe
12-28-2012, 01:38 PM
since a bunch of old college friends are in town for the holidays, lolo apparently made surprise reservations for all of us at khong river house (http://www.khongriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Supper-12.27-SMALL.pdf), which just opened up off lincoln road on SOBE last week. it's a sister restaurant of my favorite, yardbird (the southern place i'm always raving about on here).

very excited for the some thai noodles and either crispy duck or whole roasted fish!

i'm also very excited for the coronary i'm giving myself from eating this week...

BroadwayJoe
12-29-2012, 09:51 AM
well... that was, without question, one of the best meals of my life

we ordered almost everything on the menu, and everything was amazing. the bone marrow (obviously), steak tartare and tomatoes were my favorites, but everything was incredible and memorable.

i'll do a more detailed review of each dish sometime later... meanwhile, i need to poop out the 10 courses of food i ate last night.

CityofTreez
12-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Oh God.....bone marrow on some toast is out of this world!

Ordered everything on the menu?
Something Joe would do....

BroadwayJoe
12-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Oh God.....bone marrow on some toast is out of this world!

Ordered everything on the menu?
Something Joe would do....

the bone marrow was so good, words cannot do it justice. it was served with pickled peppers, grilled onions and toasted cuban bread slices. unfortunately, eating house doesn't have a liquor license (only beer and wine), or i would've asked for a bourbon flute in the bone after i was done with the marrow.

so here's everything else we got (party of 4, about 10 courses... don't judge me!)

brussel sprouts with korean bbq, crispy lo mein and a poached egg: this was a great start to the meal. the sprouts were perfectly crispy and the sauce was everything a good asian sauce is - sweet, salty, spicy and slightly citrusy. when you broke up the egg, it just took the dish over the top. the lo mein added a nice textural balance to the dish, but it didn't wow me like the sauce and egg as accompaniments to the main star, the sprouts.

warm heirloom tomatoes with thai herbs and coconut milk ice: this was the surprise dish of the evening for me. the coconut milk ice (it's part ice cream, part shaved ice) was unreal. it was the perfect cool balance to the warm tomatoes and the earthy lemongrass.

beef tartare "banh mi": this was my 2nd favorite dish after the bone marrow. even lolo, who would normally never eat raw beef, said it was amazing (and initially thought it was tuna tartare until i told her...). the pickled carrot and daikon with the tostada really made this dish feel like a deconstructed banh mi sandwich.

grilled japanese eggplant with maduro-miso and plantain crumbs: wow! i'm not a big eggplant fan, but this was better than any eggplant i've ever had, save for this eggplant parm i had twice in NYC. the sauce was a mix between plantain/banana flavors and miso.

scallops with pumpkin, turnips and pecans: this was probably my least favorite dish, and it was still really ****ing good. it just didn't excite me or my taste buds as much as the other dishes. nevertheless, the scallops were done perfectly and the sauce it came with was really tantalizing.

pasta carbonara with truffles, bacon, shaved parm and egg yolk: AWESOME MOTHA****IN' DISH!!! i'm usually not a huge fan of carbonara (i prefer basil-based sauces, like pesto), but this dish sauce was done just right, especially with the yoke serving as the base. The truffle flavor and aroma permeated the entire dish. just a really well-executed dish. i think everyone in the place ordered this, or at least it appeared that way.

chicken and foie-ffles with candied bacon: yeah, i don't really think this needs any further description. if not for the tartare and bone marrow, this would've been my favorite dish.

polenta fries, short rib and onion-riccotta poutine with parmigiana flakes: i really had no appetite left when this came to the table, but i tried it anyway. it was REALLY good, but i don't think i could truly appreciate it, given how full i was after the feast i had just consumed.

"dirt pot" dessert: fine ground oreos, hazelnut pudding, vanilla ice cream, salted caramel and pretzel pieces served in a pot with edible flowers garnished on top. i was completely itis'd by the time dessert came (the ladies ordered this behind our back for me and my best fwend's birffffffdays) but i had to indulge. it was unbelievably silky and rich. i could only take about 3-4 spoonfuls before calling it quits.

BroadwayJoe
12-29-2012, 07:39 PM
also, this is where we're going to dinner tonight (miami beach, off SOBE)

http://www.pubbellysushi.com/menus.html

it's the sushi sister restaurant to pubbelly, one of the coolest fusion joints in miami, and one of the best new restaurants too.

CityofTreez
12-29-2012, 09:21 PM
What kind of marrow was it?
I've only had Veal marrow before....Unreal!

Also, Huge props for Round 2 tonight.
That place looks bomb, especially the Carpacio & Carbonera dishes.

BroadwayJoe
12-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Twas veal marrow... best kind

notoriousbig21
12-30-2012, 03:10 AM
What was the bill?

db75
12-30-2012, 07:17 AM
^$1,000,000!

Every time I see bone marrow, it sounds ****ing amazing, but it never sits right with me, and it makes me mad. My minds says "You really should be in love with this ****" but my body just says "...nah, **** that noise." Maybe I just haven't had a good marrow experience.

Cromedome
12-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Eating bone marrows sounds nasty. What happened to the steak? Fries?

BroadwayJoe
12-30-2012, 08:42 AM
What was the bill?

including tip, about $320 total (so about $160 per couple)

definitely more than we anticipated (as hard as it may be to believe, it was our friends who kept ordering nearly everything on the menu... not that i minded :D)

i posted a link to their menu... the prices aren't that outrageous. it's when you start ordering 4/5ths of the menu, plus drinks, that your bill runs that high.

BroadwayJoe
12-30-2012, 08:43 AM
^$1,000,000!

Every time I see bone marrow, it sounds ****ing amazing, but it never sits right with me, and it makes me mad. My minds says "You really should be in love with this ****" but my body just says "...nah, **** that noise." Maybe I just haven't had a good marrow experience.

once you get past the mental block about what it is and its texture, marrow is basically meat jelly spread on toast. i like to think of it as a mature, meat-heavy PB&J sandwich.

notoriousbig21
12-30-2012, 12:38 PM
lol nice. I cant wait to start making some bank so I can eat bougie food.

BroadwayJoe
12-30-2012, 01:29 PM
lol nice. I cant wait to start making some bank so I can eat bougie food.

:up: