PDA

View Full Version : favorite trader joes snacks/foods

grandsalami
12-22-2012, 04:02 AM
Those of you who shop there, what are you favorite (top 5) TJ's snacks and foods?

HOWE do i do it
12-22-2012, 06:29 AM
My favorite snacks have to be either the everything bagel chips or the honey sesame sticks.

Other than that, I really like their premarinated mahi mahi. It just olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and salt. Might be missing a couple things. They also have a similar ahi tuna and a salmon in a chimichurri sauce. Throw them on the grill or a frying pan for a little and you're done.

Driven
12-23-2012, 01:24 PM
One just opened up near me a couple of months ago. I've yet to go, because I'm never really in that area, even though it's only like eight minutes away.

We have Wegmans so that's good enough for me.

blueman2424
12-31-2012, 09:27 AM
In no order:

-Blister peanuts
-Noodle boxes
-Barbecue chips
-Italian no-sausage sausage
-Chili-spiced pineapple.

There are more but you said five...

fingerbang
12-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Not enough Pirate's Booty and Virgil's Root Beer in this thread.

GGGGG-Men
12-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Hard to limit this since I do 90% of my shopping there...

Frozen Margarita Pizza
Green Chile and Cheese Tamales
Popcorn with Olive Oil
Pub Cheese
Dark chocolate peanut butter cups

Side note: their vanilla ice cream is pretty damn solid

CityofTreez
01-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Cookie Butter aka Graham Cracker/Peanut Butter.

SugeKnight
01-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Australian Licorice

TheRuckus
01-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Cookie butter is pretty much the greatest thing ever.

The buffalo chicken meatballs are good for snacking, especially when you're too lazy to cook a real meal. Throw a few of them *****es in a tortilla with some cheese and you're in business.

Bought these little bite size panini things with pesto and roasted red pepper spread last week that are also awesome and require no effort.

I tried their frozen margherita pizza and thought it was solid, but nothing spectacular.

Yankee Clipper
01-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Frozen margherita pizza is to die for.

Dmac
01-05-2013, 12:16 AM
I haven't been there in awhile, but they have the best fresh strawberries. I don't know why, but theirs always tastes much better then any I get in a grocery store.

CityofTreez
01-05-2013, 12:29 AM
I also buy edamame (pea shoots) from Trader Joes.
Cook them, and then pan fry them with sriacha & garlic. Bomb!

OldStyleCubbies
01-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Sushi and deviled eggs. Mmmmmm.

CityofTreez
01-05-2013, 05:57 PM
I just bought some chicken enchiladas yesterday. Look good.

Also Ruckus. They have Crunchy Cookie Butter now!!!!

BroadwayJoe
01-05-2013, 06:16 PM
dehydrated mango chips

CityofTreez
01-05-2013, 07:54 PM
They have dehydrated seaweed too.

Weird, but good.

Driven
01-05-2013, 11:00 PM
I went there today for the first time, just to check it out, not to buy anything. It was super busy. Walked in and left. But it did seem like they had a wide variety of things, I'll be back on a slower day.

I have no idea what I should be looking for there. What do they specialize in? As opposed to what you find in a normal grocery store.

BroadwayJoe
01-06-2013, 01:17 AM
They have dehydrated seaweed too.

Weird, but good.

yeah, it's like bitter/salty veggie jerky... it's good in small doses

CityofTreez
01-06-2013, 01:18 AM
Driven. Healthier alternative to what you normally eat.

You find leaner meals, and organic options that pretty much taste just as good.

I knew a neighbor who shopped there everyday for dinner. Granted, the store was down the street, but its relatively cheap and satisfying.

CityofTreez
01-06-2013, 01:20 AM
yeah, it's like bitter/salty veggie jerky... it's good in small doses

I grabbed a sample today. Small dose, and good.

I go after all the samples available.

Driven
01-06-2013, 01:30 AM
Driven. Healthier alternative to what you normally eat.

You find leaner meals, and organic options that pretty much taste just as good.

I knew a neighbor who shopped there everyday for dinner. Granted, the store was down the street, but its relatively cheap and satisfying.
I've seen rather unhealthy stuff there as well though.

I'm just curious if there's some specific area I should target because it seems like a lot of the stuff you can just buy in a normal store, but I don't know which stuff is a lot better than the normal stuff.

nastynice
01-06-2013, 04:06 AM
Dark chocolate peanut butter cups

yup. Just murked mine 20 mins ago

They also got this really bangin bread there. Its called sprouted multi grain bread, and its healthy too.

oooh, and I used to get this other bangin *** bread there too, I wanna say its some like cracked pepper sourdough bread, mighta even had some kinda gorgonzola flavor in it. **** was ridiculous for sandwiches. Stopped eating white breads tho :(

BroadwayJoe
01-06-2013, 08:31 AM
yup. Just murked mine 20 mins ago

They also got this really bangin bread there. Its called sprouted multi grain bread, and its healthy too.

oooh, and I used to get this other bangin *** bread there too, I wanna say its some like cracked pepper sourdough bread, mighta even had some kinda gorgonzola flavor in it. **** was ridiculous for sandwiches. Stopped eating white breads tho :(

i did that recently too (except for when i eat out at italian restaurants). at first, it was tough, but after a while i actually started to like whole wheat better.

CityofTreez
01-07-2013, 12:51 PM
I've seen rather unhealthy stuff there as well though.

I'm just curious if there's some specific area I should target because it seems like a lot of the stuff you can just buy in a normal store, but I don't know which stuff is a lot better than the normal stuff.

Oh....there is definitely unhealthy stuff as well.

Your last paragraph is a summary of Trader Joes. They literally have similar products than regular supermarkets, but they're a bit a mystery. You never know what to think with some of the products offered there.

Myself, I go for the snacks. So many there, and they are relatively cheap. This weekend, I bought these cheesy jalapeņo cheeto chips that were healthier than regular Cheetos. I think it's whatever you choose to shop there for though. I know people who only go for their $2 wine, and there pre-made meals. I think Trader Joe's is whatever you make it out to be.

GunFactor187
01-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Mann...I haven't been to TJs in years, unfortunately there's not one by me at all.

nastynice
01-07-2013, 03:07 PM
i did that recently too (except for when i eat out at italian restaurants). at first, it was tough, but after a while i actually started to like whole wheat better.

yea, me too. If ur not strictly whole wheat but also mess with whole grain I'd def check out that bread I mentioned earlier, its called sprouted multi grain. Pretty hearty bread, perfect with eggs (I put raw honey on mine, cuz thats the new jam ;) )

Driven
01-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Oh....there is definitely unhealthy stuff as well.

Your last paragraph is a summary of Trader Joes. They literally have similar products than regular supermarkets, but they're a bit a mystery. You never know what to think with some of the products offered there.

Myself, I go for the snacks. So many there, and they are relatively cheap. This weekend, I bought these cheesy jalapeņo cheeto chips that were healthier than regular Cheetos. I think it's whatever you choose to shop there for though. I know people who only go for their $2 wine, and there pre-made meals. I think Trader Joe's is whatever you make it out to be.
Thanks, man, pretty much what I thought.

BroadwayJoe
01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
yea, me too. If ur not strictly whole wheat but also mess with whole grain I'd def check out that bread I mentioned earlier, its called sprouted multi grain. Pretty hearty bread, perfect with eggs (I put raw honey on mine, cuz thats the new jam ;) )

i fux wiff whole and multi grain breads

basically anything that's not standard white flour bread

Dmac
01-08-2013, 11:20 PM
I like the veggie potato sticks they have. They are pretty healthy and the serving is quite a bit. They are a good healthy alternative for potato chips. I had some similar that I found at the local grocery store, but they wern't as good as Trader Joes. I should go back and get some.

TheRuckus
01-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Also Ruckus. They have Crunchy Cookie Butter now!!!!

Decided to try this, even though I wasn't sure I'd like it.

I ****ing love it. Especially paired with their vanilla wafers. Bomb.com

Squad13
01-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Sesame honey almonds

/thread

nastynice
01-21-2013, 01:40 AM

asiago peppercorn bread, that's what its called. Ohhh man, if u like making sandwiches at home, **** with it, trust me, **** with it. Gotta toast it

GGGGG-Men
01-22-2013, 01:34 PM
I just got these roasted Gorgonzola crackers......pretty damn good.

The Schmooze
01-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Need to study up on this thread before my next Trader Joe's visit, as I just got my cherry popped a couple months ago...

CityofTreez
01-22-2013, 05:00 PM
asiago peppercorn bread, that's what its called. Ohhh man, if u like making sandwiches at home, **** with it, trust me, **** with it. Gotta toast it

asiago on any bread is amazing, not to mention peppercorn on it as well.

God, looks like I'm going to Trader Joes tonight for my weekly bread consumption. They have this Pita Bread too. Their bread is a deal......packs for $2.99, and never over $6 for some different variations.

SACNYY
01-31-2013, 04:22 AM
I love their spicy hummus along with some nice crackers.

CityofTreez
02-19-2013, 02:40 AM
It's the best ****...no joke!!!

Tried these apple/cinnamon crunchy chips today.
They were pretty good.

TheRuckus
02-19-2013, 10:07 AM
WTF is cookie butter?

You are to be pitied.

Labgrownmangoat
02-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Sesame honey almonds

/thread

They do this with cashews also, which is taaasty.

There is a TJ's one block from where I live. Their tortilla chips are significantly better than what I can get in regular grocery stores. They also consistently have Herdez green salsa, which I prefer. We buy frozen chicken there because it has an ice glaze on each piece that helps prevent freezer burn. They carry a cereal that is cheerios-like, but has 3 varieties of dried berries in it, which is awesome. Their 7-layer dip can be a meal in itself if combined with chips. They have a line of frozen Indian food meals that are quite authentic and that make an affordable microwave lunch. One downside is I've found their produce to be hit and miss.

TheRuckus
02-19-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm gonna hurt you.

You can't. I'm protected by the loving embrace of cookie butter.

HoodedSB
03-18-2013, 04:52 PM
sesame sticks
savory thins
salsa picante (the one with the yellow top and is almost completely pureed)
spicy humus

Driven
03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
I got a falafel wrap from there yesterday, and while I knew it wasn't going to be good (a chilled falafel wrap), it wasn't good.

TheRuckus
03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Just got the peanut butter granola bars for the first time yesterday, they're pretty awesome.

Also got the salsa picante and I agree with Sash.

GGGGG-Men
09-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Bringing this thread back from the dead, because we need to discuss some things:

Pickle Popcorn (http://www.trbimg.com/img-55e48556/turbine/ct-dill-pickle-popcorn-trader-joes-taste-test): Put off buying this because it just seemed like a bad idea, but wife got it and its pretty ****ing addicting. Love it. Their olive oil popcorn is solid too.

Sriracha BBQ Sauce (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/713n4Wy6s6L._SY679_.jpg): I'm not a fan of sriracha flavored stuff at the store. B/c why not just add it myself and get the right amount of heat and get it fresh. That said, my wife bought this and its pretty damn solid. Not sure I'd cook with it, but its a great dipping sauce for fries, etc.

"Everyday Seasoning" (http://comfortfoodinfusion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_1616-e1365837326147.jpg): Another thing I'm not a fan of; spice blends. Usually like doing it myself. I grabbed this as an easy option to take camping. Fantastic blend for grilling. Used it on salmon and on asparagus and love it.

CityofTreez
09-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Tried out their organic yogurt variety pack.
Pretty good.

rhino17
09-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Too much stuff to name honestly

I pretty much buy all my groceries at Trader Joe's and Sprouts

GGGGG-Men
09-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Too much stuff to name honestly

I pretty much buy all my groceries at Trader Joe's and Sprouts

Same for me too. Didn't realize they had Sprouts in Denver. thought it was a SoCal chain.

mikekhelxD
09-07-2015, 05:52 PM
I go there whenever I need to teach a class and buy their hummus and whole wheat stuff. Majority of my students liked it.

IBleedPurple
09-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Popping my organic cherry and going to Trader Joes for the first time today. I have had cookie butter, so that's a must.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Bringing this thread back from the dead, because we need to discuss some things:

Pickle Popcorn (http://www.trbimg.com/img-55e48556/turbine/ct-dill-pickle-popcorn-trader-joes-taste-test): Put off buying this because it just seemed like a bad idea, but wife got it and its pretty ****ing addicting. Love it. Their olive oil popcorn is solid too.

Sriracha BBQ Sauce (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/713n4Wy6s6L._SY679_.jpg): I'm not a fan of sriracha flavored stuff at the store. B/c why not just add it myself and get the right amount of heat and get it fresh. That said, my wife bought this and its pretty damn solid. Not sure I'd cook with it, but its a great dipping sauce for fries, etc.

"Everyday Seasoning" (http://comfortfoodinfusion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_1616-e1365837326147.jpg): Another thing I'm not a fan of; spice blends. Usually like doing it myself. I grabbed this as an easy option to take camping. Fantastic blend for grilling. Used it on salmon and on asparagus and love it.

Glad to hear about the Pickle Popcorn. Been debating it the last 2 trips, I'll definitely give it a shot now.

GGGGG-Men
09-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Glad to hear about the Pickle Popcorn. Been debating it the last 2 trips, I'll definitely give it a shot now.

Its an acquired taste. My wife didn't like it, but i loved it. First bite is weird but it gets addicting.

GGGGG-Men
09-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Just tried this and its pretty solid: http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/green-dragon-hot-sauce

JLynn943
09-11-2015, 11:05 PM
I've only been there once and wasn't actually really shopping for myself (I was with my friend who needed to get some things), but I bought their cereal bars. Those were awesome. I wish they'd build one near me since the closest location is almost an hour away.

spliff(TONE)
09-14-2015, 12:42 PM
It is garbage.

spliff(TONE)
09-14-2015, 12:43 PM
I get their fake honey nut cheerios and their trail mix with dried raspberries, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, nuts, etc.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-14-2015, 12:48 PM
It is garbage.

I literally just got back from TJ's, it's discontinued now since it was just seasonal. Was looking forward to trying it since I had an addiction to the Lays Dill Pickle potato chips back in the day.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Also picked up their KC BBQ Tri-Tip. Had 1 the other week and it's delicious, just don't over cook it. I sear it 1st then cook it on low.

spliff(TONE)
09-14-2015, 12:52 PM
Never overcook red meat. Especially if any plans for heated leftovers.

GGGGG-Men
09-15-2015, 02:01 PM
It is garbage.

YOU'RE GARBAGE pickle popcorn ftw

spliff(TONE)
09-15-2015, 02:09 PM
Your FACE is garbage!

TheRuckus
03-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Man I totally forgot about those buffalo chicken meatballs I mentioned earlier in this (ancient) thread, haven't seen 'em in ages. The pesto grilled cheese sammiches from the same post have also been gone forever.

Trader Joe's can really be ruthless in eliminating products.

Snacks I'm a big fan of now:

Bacon white cheddar popcorn
Maple chicken breakfast sausage
Pub cheese
Cookie butter cheesecake

Most recent new snack I tried was the sriracha chips. Disappointing - not crunchy enough (foh that these are kettle cooked) and not enough sriracha flavor.

CityofTreez
03-12-2016, 03:53 AM
They had a fried rice I liked, but no more. A chimichurri rice took its place.
It's alright.

I ****ed up and accidentally bought a 100% cranberry juice. So damn tart and cleared me out very quickly.

IBleedPurple
03-12-2016, 04:01 AM
Man I totally forgot about those buffalo chicken meatballs I mentioned earlier in this (ancient) thread, haven't seen 'em in ages. The pesto grilled cheese sammiches from the same post have also been gone forever.

Trader Joe's can really be ruthless in eliminating products.

Snacks I'm a big fan of now:

Bacon white cheddar popcorn
Maple chicken breakfast sausage
Pub cheese
Cookie butter cheesecake

Most recent new snack I tried was the sriracha chips. Disappointing - not crunchy enough (foh that these are kettle cooked) and not enough sriracha flavor.What is this lost ark you speak of?

BroadwayJoe
03-16-2016, 01:43 PM
I've been buying up their naan bread and scallion pancakes like crazy... also love their apple-cinnamon sticks and their Peruvian corn snacks. Lolo has been killing the frozen desserts at TJs (namely the mini ice cream cones and chocolate chip ice cream cookies). I still buy almost the entire stock of pesto tortellini whenever I go.

CityofTreez
03-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Holy crap....those Apple cinnamon sticks are FIRE!
Trader Joes does come stupid hard in the snack game from those to trail mixes to dried fruits.

My favorite dried fruit were those Mangos available at Costco, but Trader Joes dried apricots are definitely sitting pretty with me.

IBleedPurple
03-18-2016, 07:59 AM
Judging by this thread, I think my trader joes is slacking/smaller. Given, it just opened about a year ago, but seems like a test store for this market. I've scoured for a few of these items, asked employees, no dice. Most of the stuff is there, but I'm moving soon so I wanna get the full TJ experience.

BroadwayJoe
03-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Holy crap....those Apple cinnamon sticks are FIRE!
Trader Joes does come stupid hard in the snack game from those to trail mixes to dried fruits.

My favorite dried fruit were those Mangos available at Costco, but Trader Joes dried apricots are definitely sitting pretty with me.

I fux wif TJ's dried fruit game! their mango strips are awesome. my wife got some dried ginger when she first got pregnant because it's supposed to help with the nausea... well, she hated them, so MORE FOR ME! we also get the banana chips, which she puts in her yogurt for breakfast and I just eat straight up as a snack.

BroadwayJoe
03-18-2016, 11:19 AM
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but TJ's sells a pinto grigio called gaetano d'aquino for about $4-5 and it's really solid for what it is (it's not a high-end wine, but it's not that two buck chuck swill either). I use it primarily for cooking (most of my sauces are wine-based), but it makes for a pretty decent dinner wine too (my grandparents buy it by the crate and usually throw a few bottles my way).

rhino17
03-20-2016, 01:58 AM
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but TJ's sells a pinto grigio called gaetano d'aquino for about $4-5 and it's really solid for what it is (it's not a high-end wine, but it's not that two buck chuck swill either). I use it primarily for cooking (most of my sauces are wine-based), but it makes for a pretty decent dinner wine too (my grandparents buy it by the crate and usually throw a few bottles my way).

I'll have to check this out, I've been looking for something exactly like that

I've been drinking 2 buck chuck quite a bit lately

However, I'm never getting a good buzz from it. Idk if the alcohol level is lower than I thought or I'm just becoming a lawyer

Dugmet
03-20-2016, 02:28 AM
I ****ed up and accidentally bought a 100% cranberry juice. So damn tart and cleared me out very quickly.

Same thing happened to me. Its been sitting in the fridge for 2 months. Ive tried mixing it, but it really overpowers stuff.

Paulie6986
03-27-2016, 03:31 AM

I've had this wine a number of times and goes quite well with Italian food. A good value!

jeseca
07-01-2016, 09:38 AM
Weight loss breakfast recipes

https://youtu.be/dKRfPdhV1Ns

GGGGG-Men
09-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Their mini dark chocolate peanut butter cups are pretty much tear drops from angels in heaven, mixed with the addictive qualities in black tar heroin.

Also this: https://eatventures.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/dsc09973.jpg?w=640&h=480

on a bagel with cream cheese, by itself, whatever....so damn good

Pub cheese

**** YES. I forgot about this. Haven't had it in years. So damn good.

TheRuckus
10-21-2016, 12:20 AM
I've been going ham on their sweet and salty trail mix lately