PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving

ewing
10-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Ok, I got the fam coming over on Saturday. All my little nieces and nephews are going to be wearing there costumes and i am making Thanksgiving early. Post your favorite Thanksgiving recipes. Lets get started on deliciousness of thanksgiving early this year. Thanks

Robbw241
10-23-2012, 10:40 AM
I hate turkey :hide:

Ian.
10-23-2012, 11:34 AM

You got mental problems, man.

CityofTreez
10-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Turkey
Crab/Abalone
Cornbread stuffing
Mashed potatoes/scalloped potatoes
Broccoli/Asparagus Salad
Green bean casserole

Sweet Potatoe Pie
Blackberry Pie
Rubbard Pie

Wine

LionsFan..LOL
10-23-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm not a fan of Turkey but I'll eat it on Thanksgiving.

Dinner Meal:
Turkey
Mash Potatoes
Green Beans
Corn
Stuffing of some sort (don't eat it so IDK)
Dinner Rolls
Mixture of Arabic food, depending on what my Grandma wants to cook.

Desert:
A whole assortment of pies

CityofTreez
10-23-2012, 02:10 PM
I love Turkey Soup with the leftover carcass afterwards.

Infamous916
10-23-2012, 02:20 PM
During Thanksgiving, I've always been a fan of stuffing a bunch turkey & side dishes into a roll. After about 7 of those I'll pass out for a while, whenever I wake the next round begins & it starts all over again.

popo85
10-23-2012, 03:35 PM
My faves
Turkey mostly skin
Mash potatoes
a little stuffing
mac an cheese
cherry pie
cornbread

rhino17
10-23-2012, 04:15 PM

turkey sucks

GGGGG-Men
10-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Corn bread Stuffing
Baked Yams (or as people incorrectly call them "sweet potatoes", which is something different) with a little brown sugar.

That's pretty much all that's needed....

Ditto....but I'm pescatarian

Yankee Clipper
10-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Turkey
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Baked yams
String beans
Raspberry cheesecake

Oh yeah.

H-MYK
10-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Turkey
Mashed potatoes
Creamed Corn
Stuffing
Squash with brown sugar
Pumpkin Pie for desert

Driven
10-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Turkey
Stuffing (just normal stuffing none of this apple or cranberry **** or whatever)
Creamed corn/corn casserole
Cranberry sauce
Yams w/Marshmellows
Coleslaw
Mashed Potatoes
Corn Bread

It normally tastes better after my Lions win. Which doesn't happen. Too bad the NFL always schedules them against the best team in football. So it tastes pretty good, not great.

popo85
10-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Turkey
Stuffing (just normal stuffing none of this apple or cranberry **** or whatever)
Creamed corn/corn casserole
Cranberry sauce
Yams w/Marshmellows
Coleslaw
Mashed Potatoes
Corn Bread

It normally tastes better after my Lions win. Which doesn't happen. Too bad the NFL always schedules them against the best team in football. So it tastes pretty good, not great.

Im a Raider fan but watching Barry Sanders play when i was a kid, was one of the highlights of thanksgiving

behindmydesk
10-25-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm a huge turkey fan, but usually only eat a bit, but then the next day I love fresh cold turkey sandwiches.
I make a cajun smoked turkey it's awesome but spicy.
My brother makes a deep fried turkey so moist

My mom makes a turkey in the bag, that thing sucks. But whatever my brother and I rescue my mom from her horrible horrible turkey that she thinks everyone loves.

SnoStorm
10-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Corn bread Stuffing
Baked Yams (or as people incorrectly call them "sweet potatoes", which is something different) with a little brown sugar.

You are actually incorrect. The sweet orange potatoes we commonly have with Thanksgiving dinner are sweet potatoes. They are called Yams apparently because when slaves in the south were given sweet potatoes they called them Yams becuase they were kinda close to a tuber in Africa.

Yams on the other hand are grown in Africa and Asia. They are usually brownish and are rough and scaly. They are a little bit sweet but no where near as sweet as sweet potato. They tend to be much longer and cylindrical then the stubby shorter sweet potato.

Or if you don't feel like reading :): http://video.about.com/homecooking/What-Is-the-Difference-Between-Yams-and-Sweet-Potatoes-.htm

GGGGG-Men
10-25-2012, 12:41 PM
You are actually incorrect. The sweet orange potatoes we commonly have with Thanksgiving dinner are sweet potatoes. They are called Yams apparently because when slaves in the south were given sweet potatoes they called them Yams becuase they were kinda close to a tuber in Africa.

Yams on the other hand are grown in Africa and Asia. They are usually brownish and are rough and scaly. They are a little bit sweet but no where near as sweet as sweet potato. They tend to be much longer and cylindrical then the stubby shorter sweet potato.

Or if you don't feel like reading :): http://video.about.com/homecooking/What-Is-the-Difference-Between-Yams-and-Sweet-Potatoes-.htm

Weird because every market I go to, this is a sweet potato: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_96rXyB4rK5DNUhQG87iU-2VR6w2vmD7aqd0Ev3y8457E4rXE

and this is a Yam: http://www.self.com/fooddiet/blogs/nutritiondata/sweet_potato.gif

Sweet potatoes being lighter in color on the inside. I had a chef confirm it too, so now I'm really confused.

CityofTreez
10-25-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm a huge turkey fan, but usually only eat a bit, but then the next day I love fresh cold turkey sandwiches.
I make a cajun smoked turkey it's awesome but spicy.
My brother makes a deep fried turkey so moist

My mom makes a turkey in the bag, that thing sucks. But whatever my brother and I rescue my mom from her horrible horrible turkey that she thinks everyone loves.

3 Turkeys prepared?

If yes, that's a good dinner even w/ the turkey in a bag (wtf is that?)

behindmydesk
10-25-2012, 07:47 PM
3 Turkeys prepared?

If yes, that's a good dinner even w/ the turkey in a bag (wtf is that?)

Yes but we have like 30 people at my parents for thanksgiving plus we need lots of leftovers for everyone, my family always over cooks

Turkey in a bag is basically a reynolds turkey bag that's supposed to keep it moist and doesn't work but my mom think it's great.

D12 fan
10-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Leftover fried turkey sandwiches with mayo.

BroadwayJoe
10-26-2012, 12:47 PM
we do thanksgiving at my best friend's family's house (his whole family is basically my 2nd family, and my parents are vegan, so we just do a thanksgiving lunch with them)... and they do NOT **** around when it comes to this glorious day. (note to all foodies: keep foodie friends!)

brined and roasted turkey
deep fried turkey
honey baked ham
mashed potatoes (one w/ and one w/o onions)
gravy
craburrrrrrry sauce (sometimes substituted with chutney)
chicken sausage stuffing
cornbread stuffing
jalapeno stuffing
sweet potato pie
green bean casserole
cream of turkey soup
turkey meatballs with cranberries and this amazing OJ "sauce"
tons of apps (cheese, cured meats, chips n' dip, etc.)
tons of pies (pecan, pumpkin, sweet potato, blackburrrrrry)
and an endless supply of great beer and wine (my best friend's cousin, who's basically a cousin to me too, is a regional beer and wine buyer for whole foods in south flurrrrrrida... needless to say, she has impeccable taste in libations).

black friday lunch is always: leftover turkey (i prefer the fried), leftover ham, a spread of mashed potatoes n' gravy, some cranburrrry sauce and maybe some lettuce (for some ruffage) on fresh-baked country wheat or 7-grain bread from this awesome bakery around the corner from us (that's open on black friday!).

CityofTreez
10-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Of course Joe eats turkey meatballs in an OJ sauce....
Weird cause I can't imagine a meatballs with the texture of a turkey. Kind of like a turkey ftitter, but I'd definitely eat it.

Turkey in a bag is basically a reynolds turkey bag that's supposed to keep it moist and doesn't work but my mom think it's great.

Moms are always right....

I can only imagine the turkey in a bag family jokes in the kitchen.

BroadwayJoe
10-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Of course Joe eats turkey meatballs in an OJ sauce....
Weird cause I can't imagine a meatballs with the texture of a turkey. Kind of like a turkey ftitter, but I'd definitely eat it.

Moms are always right....

I can only imagine the turkey in a bag family jokes in the kitchen.

dude, it's so ****ing good! it's got a nice spicy kick to it, but the sweetness of the cranberries and sauce/juice mellows it out enough to really even out the flavor profiles. they make the best (and most quickly eaten) apps for thanksgiving or, really, any occasion. i fux wif these meatballs!

CityofTreez
10-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah....didn't even think of that.
The juice & cranberries keep the meatballs tender, cause turkey can get very dry.

BroadwayJoe
10-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Yeah....didn't even think of that.
The juice & cranberries keep the meatballs tender, cause turkey can get very dry.

my friend has the recipe, but once i get it (assuming i don't forget... cough cough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox6jSkk0W1A)) i'll pass it along

PC
10-26-2012, 05:19 PM
turkey
mashed potatoes + gravy
mac n cheese
cornbread
apple pie
cranberry sauce

Ezio
10-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Posole, is what my family usually makes :drool:

More-Than-Most
10-26-2012, 06:42 PM
I hate mayo so no ordinary turkey sandwiches for me... My day consists of

Turkey
Creamed corn
Mashed potatoes
Home Made Gravy
Cranberry sauce
Biscuits
Italian Hot sausage cornbread stuffing.
Carrots cooked along side the turkey in the juices
Salad
Deviled eggs

I do not eat the day before because it makes everything that much better...Throughout the day before and the next day I have Egg Nog.

Pies

Pumpkin
Coconut
Lemon meringue{this is my favorite}

Has anyone had Turduckin? I would love to try this

More-Than-Most
10-26-2012, 06:43 PM
My next day turkey sandwich consists of bread toasted with some stuffing and cranberry sauce put between the turkey and the bread with gravy poured over the top. I just had a foodgasm

BroadwayJoe
10-26-2012, 07:25 PM
I hate mayo so no ordinary turkey sandwiches for me

**** mayo!!! **** it to ****ing hell!!!

More-Than-Most
10-26-2012, 07:34 PM
**** mayo!!! **** it to ****ing hell!!!

Seriously I love you lol.... Its ****ing Nasty

popo85
10-26-2012, 07:38 PM
I hate mayo

:mad: :(

GGGGG-Men
10-26-2012, 07:59 PM
When I was younger my mom would use the left overs and make turkey soup......so damn good. Also turkey sandwiches by chopping hte turkey and mixing with celery, mayo, etc. like a chicken salad sandwich.

BroadwayJoe
10-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Seriously I love you lol.... Its ****ing Nasty

i have a general principal of not eating white, semen-looking sauces/condiments

however, this theory was strongly tested a little while ago while out to lunch with a friend from work... it's this asian-fusion place that has really awesome food. i usually get a grilled chicken pesto baguette with fresh moozarell, lettuce and tomatoes, and a side of either edemame, wakame salad or turkey chili. this one time, i decided to branch out and get the sweet potato fries as a side.

so, the dish is ready and i sit down to eat it, when i notice this thick, white, goopy sauce accompanying the fries. i tell my friend he can take it for his order of sweet potato fries if he wants extra dipping sauce. he sticks a fry in the sauce, eats it, then says, "you seriously need to reconsider your 'white sauce' rule."

turns out, the thick, white, goopy sauce for the fries was actually melted marshmallow. it was glorious.

but, still, **** mayo...

CityofTreez
10-27-2012, 09:17 PM
MtM. I've had a Turduckin and it was amazing.

It was wrapped in proscuitto.

Yagyu+
10-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Day after is always turkey pot pie. Just need to make the crust and in goes all your leftovers. I like topping it with a layer of the remaining mashed potatoes instead of more crust.

More-Than-Most
10-30-2012, 06:56 PM

:drool:

I want one so bad but nobody in my family eats duck and they refuse to try something new. This and deep frying turkey is on my to do list

GGGGG-Men
10-31-2012, 01:24 PM

I hear this year the fad is a Cheddostricowigturduckinardiojection. It's a chicken in a duck in a turkey in a pig in a cow in an ostrich, deep fried in cheddar cheese and ground up into a syringe which injects directly into your heart. Supposed to be amazing.

CityofTreez
11-01-2012, 04:39 PM
:drool:

I want one so bad but nobody in my family eats duck and they refuse to try something new. This and deep frying turkey is on my to do list

Deep fried turkeys are amazing.

I love duck, and in the Turduckin, it was the best meat once fully cooked.

I hear this year the fad is a Cheddostricowigturduckinardiojection. It's a chicken in a duck in a turkey in a pig in a cow in an ostrich, deep fried in cheddar cheese and ground up into a syringe which injects directly into your heart. Supposed to be amazing.

Is there a pescatarian version?

GGGGG-Men
11-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Is there a pescatarian version?

Oh of course....that would be the Killswordalmonasstercraquidimp

It's a shrimp in a squid in a crab in a lobster in a bass in a salmon in a swordfish in a killer whale......deep fried, OBVIOUSLY.

CityofTreez
11-01-2012, 07:45 PM
I've never Killer Whale before, but blubber fat would really fill me up.

behindmydesk
11-02-2012, 10:29 AM
I love turducken.

As for Mayo it's freaking nasty, the only way to use it is if it's chipotle mayo i've had that from 2 different restaurants and it was amazing.

flips333
11-02-2012, 11:31 AM
I do a maple brined turkey.

SnoStorm
11-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Weird because every market I go to, this is a sweet potato: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_96rXyB4rK5DNUhQG87iU-2VR6w2vmD7aqd0Ev3y8457E4rXE

and this is a Yam: http://www.self.com/fooddiet/blogs/nutritiondata/sweet_potato.gif

Sweet potatoes being lighter in color on the inside. I had a chef confirm it too, so now I'm really confused.

Nope. Those are both sweet potatoes. Different varieties but still sweet potatoes. It's like a regular peaches and white peaches. One has white flesh and the other has yellow flesh.

Look at the URL for your Yam picture. sweet_potato.gif :)

Lots of people in the US use both words meaning Sweet Potato. It's a major misconception that we have here. If you buy a "yam" here in the US, 99% of the time it is the interchangeable name for sweet potato unless you are in a specialty section/store.

http://www.bonappetit.com/tipstools/tips/2008/11/difference_between_sweet_potato_and_yam

I'm sure your chef friend knows a ton more about cooking then I do but in this case of the true definition of a Yam, he is wrong.

GGGGG-Men
11-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Nope. Those are both sweet potatoes. Different varieties but still sweet potatoes. It's like a regular peaches and white peaches. One has white flesh and the other has yellow flesh.

Look at the URL for your Yam picture. sweet_potato.gif :)

Lots of people in the US use both words meaning Sweet Potato. It's a major misconception that we have here. If you buy a "yam" here in the US, 99% of the time it is the interchangeable name for sweet potato unless you are in a specialty section/store.

http://www.bonappetit.com/tipstools/tips/2008/11/difference_between_sweet_potato_and_yam

I'm sure your chef friend knows a ton more about cooking then I do but in this case of the true definition of a Yam, he is wrong.

I'll be damned. thanks!

More-Than-Most
11-02-2012, 09:01 PM
i have a general principal of not eating white, semen-looking sauces/condiments

however, this theory was strongly tested a little while ago while out to lunch with a friend from work... it's this asian-fusion place that has really awesome food. i usually get a grilled chicken pesto baguette with fresh moozarell, lettuce and tomatoes, and a side of either edemame, wakame salad or turkey chili. this one time, i decided to branch out and get the sweet potato fries as a side.

so, the dish is ready and i sit down to eat it, when i notice this thick, white, goopy sauce accompanying the fries. i tell my friend he can take it for his order of sweet potato fries if he wants extra dipping sauce. he sticks a fry in the sauce, eats it, then says, "you seriously need to reconsider your 'white sauce' rule."

turns out, the thick, white, goopy sauce for the fries was actually melted marshmallow. it was glorious.

but, still, **** mayo...

Lol I am going to make the fries and sauce on or the day before Thanksgiving. I have been thinking about it from the time I read this and never had the luxury of sweet potato fries.

Driven
11-03-2012, 11:07 AM
I eat light mayo, when I do. Like for mac and potato salads and tuna. I like to mix it with horseradish if I ever use it on a sandwich or a sub, which is pretty much never.

GGGGG-Men
11-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Vegenaise (http://www.followyourheart.com/products/category/vegenaise/) is the way to go. Non of the fat and cholesterol of regular mayo and the flavor is spot on to mayo. They have another one that even matches miracle whip if you happen to like that crap.

Driven
11-04-2012, 02:35 PM
It has more fat than light mayo