PDA

View Full Version : Food Pet Peeves

GGGGG-Men
08-15-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm not talking about foods you don't like, I'm talking about little stupid things that drive you nuts. Or simple standards you abide by and hate when others don't.

For instance:

Jarred roasted red peppers. You can buy a pepper for half the change in your pocket, roast it in 5-10 min, peel some skin and get a flavorful wonderful little thing.....OR you can spend $3 on a jarred, oily, flavorless piece of rubber. Drives me nuts that anyone would EVER use jarred roasted peppers. Or roasted garlic for that matter.

Pronouncing Bruschetta. It's broo-sket-ta. It's not broo-she-ta or bro-schut. For that matter, the entire Brooklynese attack on Italian pronunciation. Hate all of it. Mozzarell, Gabbagol, Riggot......THE VOWEL AT THE END IS WHAT MAKES IT ITALIAN! But some dumb old man Italian decided they thought what was right. **** even minestrone should really be pronounced min-es-tro-nay. You wouldn't say Pizz or Lasagn or spaghett.....sorry, just drives me nuts.

Those jars of garlic cloves. If you're going to use a clove of garlic that's been taken from the head, peeled and jarred who knows how many weeks ago, you really don't care about getting garlic flavor. Just use that crap powder. Hate that.

Imitation Crab Meat. It's whitefish meat, processed, dyed pink on one side and cut. So f'n nasty. Why use that instead of a can of crab?

Store-bought Guacamole. Just smash an avocado, it takes 2 min.

Chopped pickles or relish in tuna sandwich. 3 times I've been burned with this. Don't know who decided this is ok, but its not.

black1605
08-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Overcooked/undercooked meat.

More-Than-Most
08-15-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm not talking about foods you don't like, I'm talking about little stupid things that drive you nuts. Or simple standards you abide by and hate when others don't.

For instance:

Jarred roasted red peppers. You can buy a pepper for half the change in your pocket, roast it in 5-10 min, peel some skin and get a flavorful wonderful little thing.....OR you can spend $3 on a jarred, oily, flavorless piece of rubber. Drives me nuts that anyone would EVER use jarred roasted peppers. Or roasted garlic for that matter.

Pronouncing Bruschetta. It's broo-sket-ta. It's not broo-she-ta or bro-schut. For that matter, the entire Brooklynese attack on Italian pronunciation. Hate all of it. Mozzarell, Gabbagol, Riggot......THE VOWEL AT THE END IS WHAT MAKES IT ITALIAN! But some dumb old man Italian decided they thought what was right. **** even minestrone should really be pronounced min-es-tro-nay. You wouldn't say Pizz or Lasagn or spaghett.....sorry, just drives me nuts.

Those jars of garlic cloves. If you're going to use a clove of garlic that's been taken from the head, peeled and jarred who knows how many weeks ago, you really don't care about getting garlic flavor. Just use that crap powder. Hate that.

Imitation Crab Meat. It's whitefish meat, processed, dyed pink on one side and cut. So f'n nasty. Why use that instead of a can of crab?

Store-bought Guacamole. Just smash an avocado, it takes 2 min.

Chopped pickles or relish in tuna sandwich. 3 times I've been burned with this. Don't know who decided this is ok, but its not.

Curious question... What about the price of Imitation compared to a can of crab meat? It might not seem important to us who have it but others might not be as fortunate if the can of crab is really expansive.

Everything else I agree with though.

Chacarron
08-16-2012, 02:14 AM
Having to eat the rice stuck to the rice cooker.

Whomewhome
08-16-2012, 02:15 AM
Curious question... What about the price of Imitation compared to a can of crab meat? It might not seem important to us who have it but others might not be as fortunate if the can of crab is really expansive.

Any processed food man. Those cheese things you put on a burger...ewee..that stuff is nasty, the cheese in a can. OUCH! Bacon bits. Anything processed.

I don't understand how people eat Chicken Nuggets! it's beyond me.

Homemade chicken nuggets- I can understand. But deep frozen! WHY on earth? I can post numerous articles about that stuff

Frozen vegetables - I don't care whether they are in season or out of season. You don't use frozen veggies. That includes French fries. Freeze them yourself and I have no issues. But frozen vegetables lose all their taste and minerals.

Misused Olive oil - My favorite ingredient in the world. It goes with almost everything. But when I see people using olive oil to deep fry stuff I get a heart attack. A) Olive Oil doesn't burn the right way for you to use it that way B) Olive oil is too sacred to waste deep frying.

Whomewhome
08-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Having to eat the rice stuck to the rice cooker.
Rice. Another one. Some people are vegetarians some people are allergic to stuff.

I am not a fan of rice. I can't stand it. Being Lebanese where we use rice in almost all home cooked meals I get weird looks when I say sorry I don't eat rice!

I haven't tasted rice since for over 19 years now, the odd grain now and then to remind me how bad I hate it.

Chacarron
08-16-2012, 02:18 AM
Rice. Another one. Some people are vegetarians some people are allergic to stuff.

I am not a fan of rice. I can't stand it. Being Lebanese where we use rice in almost all home cooked meals I get weird looks when I say sorry I don't eat rice!

I haven't tasted rice since for over 19 years now, the odd grain now and then to remind me how bad I hate it.

As a Peruvian, I eat rice almost everyday.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-16-2012, 02:28 AM
A lot.

Whomewhome
08-16-2012, 03:03 AM
As a Peruvian, I eat rice almost everyday.
Oh I know. I have lived in countries where rice is the main ingredient. All of the far eastern countries, Cambodia, Philippines, Korea, Japan, China. But I made due. I just can't stand the stuff.

Sadds The Gr8
08-16-2012, 03:19 AM
shrimp that u have to peel pisses me off. annoying as ****

GGGGG-Men
08-16-2012, 01:10 PM

2 things:

1 - I've rarely seen canned crab be THAT much more expensive than imitation, especially if you get the can at Trader Joe's or another good price market.

2 - Imitation crab doesn't taste a thing like crab; it tastes like what it is, fish. So whatever you're making, you're better off just getting a nice cheap fish and making it with that.

I mean to each their own, do what ya gotta do, but if I come over for lunch and you're serving "crab salad" when there's no REAL crab in it, I'm not eating it. That stuff is overly processed and nasty.

Bacon bits.

What I find hilarious is that the same people who mock vegetarians for eating soy based "bacon", will dump these on their salads, never knowing that its the same damn thing.

Frozen vegetables - I don't care whether they are in season or out of season. You don't use frozen veggies. That includes French fries. Freeze them yourself and I have no issues. But frozen vegetables lose all their taste and minerals.

Could not agree more!

Olive oil is too sacred to waste deep frying.

:nod:

Wow thats nuts. I love rice, but gotta be a good brown rice, basmati, jasmine or that mixed black wild rice. Not a fan of plain white (bleached) rice.

What about other similar grains like quinoa?

B-Ray
08-16-2012, 02:46 PM

I don't think this is true. A nutritionist once told me that frozen vegetables usually have more vitamins and nutrients than fresh vegetables. Vegetables to be frozen are picked at the peak of their ripeness and subsequently frozen causing the nutrients to be locked in. Many fresh vegetables you buy at your grocery store are picked too early or have travelled a long distance to get there in varying temperatures resulting in the loss of nutrients and minerals.

GGGGG-Men
08-16-2012, 02:52 PM
I don't think this is true. A nutritionist once told me that frozen vegetables usually have more vitamins and nutrients than fresh vegetables. Vegetables to be frozen are picked at the peak of their ripeness and subsequently frozen causing the nutrients to be locked in. Many fresh vegetables you buy at your grocery store are picked too early or have travelled a long distance to get there in varying temperatures resulting in the loss of nutrients and minerals.

Farmer's Market maaaan!

B-Ray
08-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Yeah buying local is the way to go.

popo85
08-16-2012, 04:57 PM

Im the same!! Being bengali they eat white rice everyday at my house and i hate it.

behindmydesk
08-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Well your wrong about the price of a red bell pepper. Those things are like 2 bucks a piece.

And I like relish in tuna sandwhich

The rest spot on

My Pet peeve is using ketchup especially on a steak

Giannis94
08-16-2012, 05:02 PM
When I go to panda express and get the 2 entree and 1 side, I asked for them to put the rice in one of the small compartments on the plates and the Bejing Beef in the big compartment. They acted as if they didn't hear me and I ended up with half a plate of Rice and little meat. What a joke. I still will go to Panda Express.

More-Than-Most
08-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Well your wrong about the price of a red bell pepper. Those things are like 2 bucks a piece.

The rest spot on

Yup peppers around here are expensive as well and I agree on the steak...My dad/Sisters/GF all get their steaks burned/Well done and then drop damn near an entire bottle of ketchup on it.... It is so annoying.

GGGGG-Men
08-16-2012, 06:50 PM

The rest spot on

Yup peppers around here are expensive as well and I agree on the steak...My dad/Sisters/GF all get their steaks burned/Well done and then drop damn near an entire bottle of ketchup on it.... It is so annoying.

Say what? I pay .88 each....sometimes $1.20 most at some places. It's still far better flavor than the crap they shove in a jar.

TheKid
08-16-2012, 07:56 PM
my pet peeve is other people complaining about how other people eat their food. Who cares if your mother/father burn their steaks and drown it in ketchup. That's the way they enjoy their food. To each, his own. You may not like to do it yourself and you have every right to be that way, but why should it bother you how other people eat their own food?

H-MYK
08-16-2012, 08:03 PM
my pet peeve is other people complaining about how other people eat their food. Who cares if your mother/father burn their steaks and drown it in ketchup. That's the way they enjoy their food. To each, his own. You may not like to do it yourself and you have every right to be that way, but why should it bother you how other people eat their own food?

I agree. I'll never understand why people have a problem with the way others eat. You eat your food your way.

toovey107
08-16-2012, 08:27 PM
sliced up pickle in tuna is a must

Raps08-09 Champ
08-16-2012, 08:32 PM
When I go to panda express and get the 2 entree and 1 side, I asked for them to put the rice in one of the small compartments on the plates and the Bejing Beef in the big compartment. They acted as if they didn't hear me and I ended up with half a plate of Rice and little meat. What a joke. I still will go to Panda Express.

That's how it works. You're not going to get meat in the compartment designated for the rice. That's how it works in their manual probably.

GGGGG-Men
08-16-2012, 09:13 PM

Who would have thought such poor customer service would come from such a fine dinning establishment? :eyebrow:

mikekhelxD
08-17-2012, 12:31 AM
The biggest one is.... when people doesn't like the way I eat/prepare/cook my food. They think i'm wrong because they think they're right.

Whomewhome
08-17-2012, 01:29 AM
2 things:

1 - I've rarely seen canned crab be THAT much more expensive than imitation, especially if you get the can at Trader Joe's or another good price market.

2 - Imitation crab doesn't taste a thing like crab; it tastes like what it is, fish. So whatever you're making, you're better off just getting a nice cheap fish and making it with that.

I mean to each their own, do what ya gotta do, but if I come over for lunch and you're serving "crab salad" when there's no REAL crab in it, I'm not eating it. That stuff is overly processed and nasty.

What I find hilarious is that the same people who mock vegetarians for eating soy based "bacon", will dump these on their salads, never knowing that its the same damn thing.

Could not agree more!

:nod:

Wow thats nuts. I love rice, but gotta be a good brown rice, basmati, jasmine or that mixed black wild rice. Not a fan of plain white (bleached) rice.

What about other similar grains like quinoa?
I don't mind quinoa, not a big fan, but if that's all I had I can live with it.

I prefer couscous or cracked wheat as my grain of choice. Then you get into things I Love lentils of all colors, love mung beans, Chick peas, etc.

Rice the main thing I hate is the texture. I know it sounds weird but I had a horrifying experience with rice when I was small.

Whomewhome
08-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Yeah I usually get my vegetables from my garden (I have three big gardens) so mine are fresh and free of any chemicals. When I got to the US or abroad I usually go to a farmers market. In Eugene Or. that was one of the best farmers markets I have been too.

Whomewhome
08-17-2012, 01:33 AM
Im the same!! Being bengali they eat white rice everyday at my house and i hate it.
What's your story? I had a horrifying experience when I was younger and can't stand the texture

Whomewhome
08-17-2012, 01:37 AM

I agree. I'll never understand why people have a problem with the way others eat. You eat your food your way.

The biggest one is.... when people doesn't like the way I eat/prepare/cook my food. They think i'm wrong because they think they're right.

I agree with all you guys. However to some, especially people like me who live to eat! and no eat to live. (Moliere quote) we find some foods sacred. So you can't blame us for trying to preach what we love. When I tell someone not to eat a certain way, it's usually because I want them to taste the true ingredient and not some altered version of it, if they don't like it then I don't interfere anymore

mikekhelxD
08-17-2012, 02:01 AM
^ that's how I approach it as well. I love food too. But with me traveling around the world and different regions of each country, I just stopped seeing one style of cooking as "the way." I learned to like different cooking methods of the same dish. I do however even slowed down on suggesting how to cook something to people. I'll continue later... gotta catch up a show.

Whomewhome
08-17-2012, 02:31 AM
^ that's how I approach it as well. I love food too. But with me traveling around the world and different regions of each country, I just stopped seeing one style of cooking as "the way." I learned to like different cooking methods of the same dish. I do however even slowed down on suggesting how to cook something to people. I'll continue later... gotta catch up a show.
don't get me wrong. I have been to 64 countries, and lived in 17 so I fully respect traditions and how they use an ingredient.

But some things are just used or misused despite a tradition. Bacon bits or processed cheese is clearly something I am strongly against...that's is the easiest example. No tradition in the world can convince me that they use bacon bits or cheese in a can as their national or favorite dish.

popo85
08-17-2012, 11:55 AM
What's your story? I had a horrifying experience when I was younger and can't stand the texture

I just find it a very bland taste

jp611
08-19-2012, 04:01 PM
People who eat their steaks well done... Man the **** up and eat it with some flavor in it at least

arkanian215
08-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Hairs in my food.

Pickle on top of the burger.

Black olives.

Bubble tea.

Bread bowls for soup.

Yankee Clipper
08-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Tomatoes on burgers. Skeeves me out.

Diehdcubsfan2
08-19-2012, 04:56 PM
-Sloppy knife skills.

-Store bought marinades/sauces/spice blends

-Throwing bacon on everything

-AI sauce

jp611
08-19-2012, 05:07 PM
I like A1 sauce, but I don't put it on steaks... It's good on burgers and chicken and what not, I like it on fries too

greg_ory_2005
08-19-2012, 05:29 PM
People who eat their steaks well done... Man the **** up and eat it with some flavor in it at least

:(

blueman2424
08-19-2012, 06:18 PM

Yes.

In addition, it's not really a true pet peeve, but (as a non-coffee drinker), is the Keurig method really that much better? It just seems more expensive to me.

Anybody care to opine on this one?

Ezekial
08-20-2012, 02:27 AM
More expensive, more convenient. Less expensive than a Starbucks or DD.

HOWE do i do it
08-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Yes.

In addition, it's not really a true pet peeve, but (as a non-coffee drinker), is the Keurig method really that much better? It just seems more expensive to me.

I was in the same boat as you, but my roommate just got one and they're just extremely convenient.

GGGGG-Men
08-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Yeah convenient and crappy. Get a French Press!

Bread bowls for soup.

:mad:

mikekhelxD
08-21-2012, 01:53 AM

A bit ironic isn't it? Last time I checked, salt and pepper on steaks for most people.

moshy2
08-21-2012, 02:39 AM
Breakfast for dinner. I hate breakfast foods and love dinner

blue bleeder09
08-21-2012, 07:30 PM

Farmer's Market maaaan!allways grow most of my own

Driven
08-22-2012, 05:01 PM
I hate it when people order food at a restaurant, and ask for everything on it. But then they take something off, like tomato. And if their food is bad or not cooked right, they wont send it back. A couple of my friends do this **** all the time, im guessing because they used to cook in a restaurant and couldnt really handle it when food was sent back or when they had to take something off an order. Its annoying. I used to cook too... its our job! If you **** up, you should know about it and the paying customer should get what they ordered for. Not to mention that taking off something like a tomato is just a waste of food.

kjoke
08-22-2012, 10:27 PM
You hate how people pronounce a food? Wow.

Ezekial
08-23-2012, 12:44 AM
I hate it when people order food at a restaurant, and ask for everything on it. But then they take something off, like tomato. And if their food is bad or not cooked right, they wont send it back. A couple of my friends do this **** all the time, im guessing because they used to cook in a restaurant and couldnt really handle it when food was sent back or when they had to take something off an order. Its annoying. I used to cook too... its our job! If you **** up, you should know about it and the paying customer should get what they ordered for. Not to mention that taking off something like a tomato is just a waste of food.

But some chefs are ego-maniacs and think that they are infallible and literally get pissed at customers for sending something back multiple times. In my experience once is one thing, but send it back 2-3 times? Really? If you have to do that then you are way too picky to be eating out and probably too much time on your hands. From what I've seen cooks are generally cool with something being sent back once, but not more than that.
I've never sent something back btw.

BDawk4Prez
08-23-2012, 12:47 AM
When people recommend going to a place, say a BBQ joint, and their reasoning is for something that isn't BBQ'd. such as fries.

Hey man, that Arthur Bryant's is awesome, they have the best fries.

Who the **** cares about the fries? If you recommend BBQ, I want to go because of the BBQ itself.

Driven
08-23-2012, 09:09 AM

But some chefs are ego-maniacs and think that they are infallible and literally get pissed at customers for sending something back multiple times. In my experience once is one thing, but send it back 2-3 times? Really? If you have to do that then you are way too picky to be eating out and probably too much time on your hands. From what I've seen cooks are generally cool with something being sent back once, but not more than that.
I've never sent something back btw.

More than once id probably excessive. But a couple of my friends wont send it back even once, but theyll just complain and complain to us about their food. Some cooks cannot handle food being sent back once, whether its because the food wasnt cooked well or because they ****ed up their order.

homie564
08-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Here's a good question, do you think it's okay to send a meal back just because you simply don't like it?

Driven
08-23-2012, 09:53 AM
I wouldnt, unless theres something wrong with the way its cooked. If its as advertised, its just you.

Ezekial
08-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I wouldnt, unless theres something wrong with the way its cooked. If its as advertised, its just you.

My pet peeve is that people don't understand stuff like that and just blame others.

CUBDOM4life
08-25-2012, 07:52 PM
I hate watching someone grill burgers and smash them flat with the spatula while they're cooking. You're basically straining all the good flavor out of them when you do that.

****ing stupid.

HOWE do i do it
08-26-2012, 04:03 AM
Here's a good question, do you think it's okay to send a meal back just because you simply don't like it?

You wouldnt believe how many calls I get about that. People feel that they should be refunded because they didn't like the food. And when I say I can probably have the restaurant pick the food back up they'll tell me they ate the whole thing but still want their money back.

BDawk4Prez
08-28-2012, 01:59 PM
People who insult Magic Dust. That's my pet peeve.

FlakeyFool
08-31-2012, 08:47 AM
People who make disgusting sounds while eating

ewing
08-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Yes.

They sell a reusable pod that you can fill with any coffee. I use the same coffee in my Keurig that i used before buying it.