PDA

View Full Version : Hot Sauce

GGGGG-Men
07-07-2012, 04:09 PM
First, I'm just looking for favorite hot sauces from people who are really into it. Always looking for new ones to try.

Also wondering what level you're at?

This is my favorite of all-time: http://www.hotsaucecatalog.com/mountain-man-habanero-hot-sauce/

I have a high tolerance for spicy food, but I don't always look to max it out on the hot sauces I buy. Look for a combo of heat and flavor. Like I can eat Dave's Insanity or the other outrageous stuff, but I'd preffer a chipotle Cholula over it just for flavor over heat.

americaspasttim
07-07-2012, 04:23 PM
I like Franks, it's got good flavor and if I need to add more heat to it then I can. Tabasco's flavor to me is not that great, and Habanero is too hot for me to enjoy it...

HOWE do i do it
07-07-2012, 04:26 PM
yeah tabasco is garbage. my favorites are cholula and tapatio. you can probably throw siracha in there too i suppose.

americaspasttim
07-07-2012, 04:31 PM
yeah tabasco is garbage. my favorites are cholula and tapatio. you can probably throw siracha in there too i suppose.
I've never tried Tapatio, what does the flavor compare to?

GGGGG-Men
07-07-2012, 04:43 PM

Siracha is good, but has a weird....sweet(?) flavor that I don't like. Might be the additives or whatever. I like straight up pepper and vinegar sauces.

I like tabasco, but only on certain things. Eggs, popcorn and mac-n-cheese. that's about it.

Same as Cholula to me.

Driven
07-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Tabasco > franks.... love that ****

HOWE do i do it
07-07-2012, 06:56 PM

similar to cholula. maybe a bit spicier.

northsider
07-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Cholula without a doubt. I always have a bottle ready.

Hawkeye15
07-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Franks isn't bad, but it depends on the dish, and what spices were used to cook it. I am not a big hotsauce guy, I think the spice should come from the cooking process.

07-08-2012, 08:51 PM
I like Tabasco. It's pretty vinegar heavy so I'm sure that's why people don't like it. It's not a great hot sauce for doing any major flavoring though. Perfect for runny egg yolks with bread dipped in it. :drool:

I prefer Franks over any though. Cholula isn't that great. Probably came from the chick on the bottle's vag.

Super.
07-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Feel the burn baby! feel the burn!

Buckwheat
07-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Tabasco. Frank's is really gross and doesn't add the kick I want.

Ezio
07-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Valentina.

More-Than-Most
07-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Siracha all the way...It has like a kind of tang that I enjoy with the heat

.Sean.
07-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Cholula definitely. Flavor > heat.

haggis
07-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Valentina.

Black label. Yes.

I put Siracha on pretty much everything too.

GGGGG-Men
07-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Ok Extreme and Habanero voters, need some brand names. Looking for some suggestions other than the common Siracha, Cholula, Tabasco, Tapatio, Valentina, etc.

BroadwayJoe
07-09-2012, 05:04 PM
sirracha on everything. EVERYTHING!!!

i also fux wifff frank's, lousiana, cholula and some local hot sauces no one here has ever heard of.

i really wanna start making my own.

haggis
07-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Ok Extreme and Habanero voters, need some brand names. Looking for some suggestions other than the common Siracha, Cholula, Tabasco, Tapatio, Valentina, etc.

Do you live near a World Market (http://www.worldmarket.com/home/index.jsp)? They have a pretty excellent selection of lesser known hot sauces from around the US and the world. I buy a bunch of my stuff there.

GGGGG-Men
07-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Do you live near a World Market (http://www.worldmarket.com/home/index.jsp)? They have a pretty excellent selection of lesser known hot sauces from around the US and the world. I buy a bunch of my stuff there.

Yeah, they have a pretty good selection. There's a hot sauce store in the L.A. Farmer's Market that is good but over-priced.

This is my favorite store on the planet: http://www.2hotlicks.com/

Another food related MUST-DO when in San Diego. They have a habanero fudge and chili peanut brittle that are amazing.

popo85
07-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Cholula without a doubt. I always have a bottle ready.

Same here as well as Lousiana hot sauce.

TheRuckus
07-13-2012, 11:36 AM
sirracha on everything. EVERYTHING!!!

i also fux wifff frank's, lousiana, cholula and some local hot sauces no one here has ever heard of.

i really wanna start making my own.

This man speaks tha troof.

The Schmooze
07-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Kind of off-topic, but for her birthday one year I got my girlfriend bottles of her own personalized hot sauce. There are websites where you can create your own label and whatnot. So I had them include a picture of her hammered at a Red Sox game. It was awesome.

Just something for you hot sauce lovers...

clutchski
07-14-2012, 01:49 AM
I can handle Habanero and frequently put it on my food. Everything from pasta to omelettes.

Anything hotter just makes food unenjoyable for me.

blue bleeder09
07-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Ok Extreme and Habanero voters, need some brand names. Looking for some suggestions other than the common Siracha, Cholula, Tabasco, Tapatio, Valentina, etc.daves insanity

CUBDOM4life
07-15-2012, 03:10 AM
Can't go wrong with Louisiana hot sauce.

Ramon Nivar
07-15-2012, 01:49 PM
I really like Frostbite (http://www.hotsauce.com/Frostbite-Hot-Sauce-p/1794.htm). It doesn't have much of a taste to it which I think is a wonderful addition to any collection because sometimes foods are just too good or mild flavored to add other hot sauces too. Of course it isn't the end all hot sauce because you need the flavorful stuff too but it bring a different dimension to the food game. It's also quite hot, but not unbearable.

Mudvayne91
07-15-2012, 01:54 PM
I love the brown Chipotle Tabasco sauce.

GGGGG-Men
07-15-2012, 01:56 PM
daves insanity

Eh. Dave's stuff is fun, but it's all heat, little flavor.

I really like Frostbite (http://www.hotsauce.com/Frostbite-Hot-Sauce-p/1794.htm). It doesn't have much of a taste to it which I think is a wonderful addition to any collection because sometimes foods are just too good or mild flavored to add other hot sauces too. Of course it isn't the end all hot sauce because you need the flavorful stuff too but it bring a different dimension to the food game. It's also quite hot, but not unbearable.

I sampled that one a while ago. Don't remember the taste, but maybe I'll try it again.

blue bleeder09
07-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Has plenty flavor if ur in to heat ......tabsco tapito ect just taste like salt to me

GGGGG-Men
07-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Has plenty flavor if ur in to heat ......tabsco tapito ect just taste like salt to me

I'll have to try his other stuff. Only had the hurtin habanero, and I usually LOVE any hananero sauce, but that one was all heat.

Super.
07-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Just made an awesome sauce.

6 parts BBQ
6 parts mustard
2 parts honey
1 parts cayenne pepper

I think it needs less bbq or more mustard though. I'm trying to replicate the 99's Golden Fever Sauce

blue bleeder09
07-16-2012, 11:33 PM
They make one wiith the ghost pepper that is pretty damn hott try it

ugottabjoshinme
07-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Valentina.
This. It's way better than Tapitio

GGGGG-Men
07-17-2012, 03:51 PM
This. It's way better than Tapitio

I don't really notice a difference between the two.

SnoStorm
07-17-2012, 05:26 PM

Frost Bite is fantastic if you don't want to add any of the hot sauce flavor to what you cooking/eating. I work as a fudge maker on the weekends and we add it to a basic chocolate fudge and spice it up. It works really well. If you really want fudge with a kick, we make one with ghost chilies in it.

The cheap hot sauces like Franks and Texas Pete are always a staple in my fridge. I love Cholula. I am not a fan of Siracha or Tabasco.

I recently tried Dave's Cool Cayenne Hot Sauce. Fantastic sauce with a good mild heat and a great taste. Definitely going to pick up a bottle of it next time I see it.

GGGGG-Men
07-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Frost Bite is fantastic if you don't want to add any of the hot sauce flavor to what you cooking/eating. I work as a fudge maker on the weekends and we add it to a basic chocolate fudge and spice it up. It works really well. If you really want fudge with a kick, we make one with ghost chilies in it.

The cheap hot sauces like Franks and Texas Pete are always a staple in my fridge. I love Cholula. I am not a fan of Siracha or Tabasco.

I recently tried Dave's Cool Cayenne Hot Sauce. Fantastic sauce with a good mild heat and a great taste. Definitely going to pick up a bottle of it next time I see it.

There's a hot sauce store in SoCal that has habanero fudge......soooo damn good.