PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite side dish?

CityofTreez
07-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Fries

Soup

Salad

These are the most common sides with any meal.

It does depend what you order, but I primarily order fries most of the time.

northsider
07-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Well I will go fries cause but, it would depend on the dinner sometimes as some things go better with others.

John Walls Era
07-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Fries because they can never mess it up.

07-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I avoid french fries because I eat a few and then I'm sick of them. I usually substitute with mashed potatoes, baked potato, onion rings, soup, cheese curds or some other deep fried side if I can.

Yagyu+
07-06-2012, 03:28 PM
I usually go with a vegetable, be it salad or otherwise.

H-MYK
07-06-2012, 03:36 PM
I like some soup.

northsider
07-06-2012, 03:39 PM
French Fries and Milk Shakes.

YUUUMMMM!!!

CityofTreez
07-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Fries because they can never mess it up.

I get so pissed when a restaurant actually can't successfully make a bag of fries.

I avoid french fries because I eat a few and then I'm sick of them. I usually substitute with mashed potatoes, baked potato, onion rings, soup, cheese curds or some other deep fried side if I can.

Yeah, just realized mashed potatoes/baked potato is a pretty regular side dish.

French Fries and Milk Shakes.

YUUUMMMM!!!

Yeah, don't even get me started...

mikekhelxD
07-06-2012, 05:39 PM
It really depends on the place and the meal, but i find most of the time I get fries. If they offer garlic fries like some few places do, without a doubt the fries. As if it will not get any better, once you finish it off, they ask you... "would you like more fries, it's bottomless." Then my heart just stop, from cholesterol and happiness.

ESaady
07-06-2012, 05:42 PM
seasoned potatoes are pretty good too.

Diehdcubsfan2
07-06-2012, 05:49 PM
I make some pretty sick mashed potatoes, so I'll go with that. Since I'm usually heath conscious, some sort of vegetable. I love grilling asparagus probably the most.

nicegoing
07-06-2012, 05:55 PM
I am a fry guy. I am also a sweet potato fry guy.

HOWE do i do it
07-06-2012, 06:02 PM
ill get onion rings if theyre ever an option. or tater tots. a lot of the bars in chicago have that as a regular side now. its awesome.

Yagyu+
07-06-2012, 06:17 PM
ill get onion rings if theyre ever an option. or tater tots. a lot of the bars in chicago have that as a regular side now. its awesome.

Silver Cloud was ahead of the tater tot game for a while. An order of tots with one of their Sloppy Joes made for good bar food.

CityofTreez
07-06-2012, 06:23 PM
I have no clue why but tater tots and sloppy joes are perfect together.

.Sean.
07-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't go out much, but I prefer to make home fries, roasted potatoes, sweet potato fries or some sort of pasta

.Sean.
07-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Oh and tater tots are the ****

packfan1
07-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Fries are one of my favorite foods so that is what I usually order no matter what my main dish is.

americaspasttim
07-07-2012, 12:49 PM
It really depends on the restaurant. Olive Garden has good salads, for fast food places though it's gotta be fries...

Green_Monster
07-07-2012, 12:55 PM
It's gotta be fries. But I also like mashed potatos for a side.

Driven
07-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I think we're REALLY limiting sides here... sides are better than the entree, for me.

List of things that I love for sides:

- Mac and Cheese
- Pasta Salad
- Potato Salad
- Mac Salad
- Cabbage Salad
- Salad
- Asparagus
- Brussel Sprouts
- Baked Potato
- Mashed Potato
- Tomato/Mozzerella
- Chowder
- Tomato Soup
- Rice
- Fried Rice
- 3 Bean Salad
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Baked Beans
- Fries
- Onion Rings
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Peas
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Corn Casserole
- Stuffing
- Roasted Red Potatoes

americaspasttim
07-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I make a red potato salad that is outstanding. Had some last night with my BBQ pork ribs... :drool:

Driven
07-07-2012, 01:08 PM
I make a red potato salad that is outstanding. Had some last night with my BBQ pork ribs... :drool:
Share your recipe!

americaspasttim
07-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Share your recipe!
I don't keep track of amounts, I go by taste. :hide: But, it includes:

Red Potatoes
Eggs
Red Onion
Apple Cider Vinegar
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Paprika, maybe a pinch of cayenne occasionally
Mayo
Mustard Seed
Sometimes a small amount of celery seed

CityofTreez
07-07-2012, 05:49 PM
I think we're REALLY limiting sides here... sides are better than the entree, for me.

List of things that I love for sides:

- Mac and Cheese
- Pasta Salad
- Potato Salad
- Mac Salad
- Cabbage Salad
- Salad
- Asparagus
- Brussel Sprouts
- Baked Potato
- Mashed Potato
- Tomato/Mozzerella
- Chowder
- Tomato Soup
- Rice
- Fried Rice
- 3 Bean Salad
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Baked Beans
- Fries
- Onion Rings
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Peas
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Corn Casserole
- Stuffing
- Roasted Red Potatoes

I've never had mashed Cauliflower. That sounds pretty good.

Driven
07-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Ill post the recipe later. Its pretty good. Its a nice alternative to potatoes every once in a while. Basically, mash it up and mix with butter and parm. Then bake with parm and paprika on top.

CUBDOM4life
07-07-2012, 07:24 PM
My favorite side is prolly onion rings or cheese sticks. This is a VERY limited poll.

I've never had mashed Cauliflower. That sounds pretty good.

I agree. I freaking love Cauliflower.

Dmac
07-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Ill post the recipe later. Its pretty good. Its a nice alternative to potatoes every once in a while. Basically, mash it up and mix with butter and parm. Then bake with parm and paprika on top.

That sounds really good actually. I want to try that.

As for sides, I love fries, but they have to be good fries. Mcdonalds fries are so iffy. If you go when they are busy, they tend to be cold or soggy. I will usually tell them I want a fresh batch and wait the few extra minutes. If you get them hot and fresh, they are really good. Probably the best out of all the fast food chains.

There is a resteraunt by me that has the best fries. I have only went there one time where the fries weren't awesome. Even then, they were decent.

Fly
07-07-2012, 10:09 PM
French fries

gocubs2118
07-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Mashed Potatoes, no gravy. I hate it when people smother their food with gravy. Grosses me out.

Fly
07-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Mashed Potatoes, no gravy. I hate it when people smother their food with gravy. Grosses me out.

I hate gravy in general

packfan1
07-08-2012, 12:43 AM
I love fries and mashed potatoes

Hawkeye15
07-08-2012, 07:32 PM
I am a potato fan, even though I try and avoid them all together. But if I had to choose, being out, maybe having a cheat meal, oh yeah, give me some fries baby.

americaspasttim
07-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Mashed sweet potatoes are pretty good...

notoriousbig21
07-09-2012, 04:57 PM
French fries with mozz and brown gravy. There's a popular deli on LI that does em right (Cherry Valley) and then the Courthouse Deli outside Yankee Stadium.

behindmydesk
07-09-2012, 05:04 PM
for a burger it's onion rings. For almost everything else it's steamed broccoli or green beans.

BroadwayJoe
07-09-2012, 05:07 PM
-grilled greens (brussell sprouts, string beans, okra, broccoli, asparagus, etc.) with crispy onions and either bacon or pancetta with some nice olive oil

-parmesan-truffle fries

-bacon-cheddar smashed potatoes

-hush puppies

-cornbread

-fried okra

-collard greens with ham hock

-cheesy grits

CityofTreez
07-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Man...this guy Joe eats well!

I still haven't had fried okra or green tomatoes, but I've had fried pickles.

BroadwayJoe
07-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Man...this guy Joe eats well!

I still haven't had fried okra or green tomatoes, but I've had fried pickles.

i've surrounded myself with professional chefs. best life decision ever.

fried pickles are the titts.

behindmydesk
07-10-2012, 08:50 AM
First off you haven't lived till you had fried okra or green tomato's. There is a place on the beach. The beach about 3-4 miles from Charleston SC. They have a blue crab with a fried green tomato with pemento cheese on a toasted english muffin. Best damn sandwich in the universe.

Another true story, wife is a fried pickle fanatic, and she was so dissapointed in the Hooters closing by us because she'd go in there for beer and fried pickles. Rest of the food is garbage but she loved those and their sauce.

BroadwayJoe
07-10-2012, 10:40 AM
First off you haven't lived till you had fried okra or green tomato's. There is a place on the beach. The beach about 3-4 miles from Charleston SC. They have a blue crab with a fried green tomato with pemento cheese on a toasted english muffin. Best damn sandwich in the universe.

Another true story, wife is a fried pickle fanatic, and she was so dissapointed in the Hooters closing by us because she'd go in there for beer and fried pickles. Rest of the food is garbage but she loved those and their sauce.

i told you about the "blt" i had yardbird, right? it was a thick slab of pork belly with a microgreen salad over housemade pimento cheese and a fried green tomato.

walter shoback marked it down for being over the line.

behindmydesk
07-10-2012, 11:08 AM
i told you about the "blt" i had yardbird, right? it was a thick slab of pork belly with a microgreen salad over housemade pimento cheese and a fried green tomato.

walter shoback marked it down for being over the line.

Hmm not sure. But I love me some pork belly. Although a lot of people don't but those people are wrong.

Where is yardbird?

BroadwayJoe
07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Hmm not sure. But I love me some pork belly. Although a lot of people don't but those people are wrong.

Where is yardbird?

in south beach... it's the place where i had that ridiculous meal a few weeks ago and made a thread about it (with the head cheese, crispy pig ears and chicken n' waffles)

behindmydesk
07-10-2012, 11:52 AM
in south beach... it's the place where i had that ridiculous meal a few weeks ago and made a thread about it (with the head cheese, crispy pig ears and chicken n' waffles)

hmm read the head cheese etc must have missed that.

Doubt i ever go to South Beach though, my talents simply aren't good enough to take them there

CityofTreez
07-10-2012, 01:28 PM
I only want to eat fried okra and green tomatoes in the South, where they are the best. Living out here in California, I know that I will not have the same experience as Joe does. Then again, he's surrounded by Michelin Star Chefs.

Never been to the Real South, so I will patiently wait for my helping of fried okra & green tomatoes.

Also, you guys ever ate fried frog legs?

behindmydesk
07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I only want to eat fried okra and green tomatoes in the South, where they are the best. Living out here in California, I know that I will not have the same experience as Joe does. Then again, he's surrounded by Michelin Star Chefs.

Never been to the Real South, so I will patiently wait for my helping of fried okra & green tomatoes.

Love fried frog legs

BroadwayJoe
07-10-2012, 02:34 PM

With dry freezing and overnight delivery, you can get similar quality anywhere in the world. You just need a good chef with southern/soul food roots.

CityofTreez
07-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah, there's one restaurant and it's chef overnight food from the bayou. The only thing, they only get frogs, gator, and cajun prawns.

I will admit, this poll is very limited. Joe freaking pointed out hush-puppies and cornbread as a side dish. Holy hell, that same chef makes the best freaking hush puppies, and jalapeno cornbread......that is in Sacramento, CA.

BMD, my buddy told me fried frog legs taste like chicken.....everybody always says that, so I am not that interested in trying them.

behindmydesk
07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah, there's one restaurant and it's chef overnight food from the bayou. The only thing, they only get frogs, gator, and cajun prawns.

I will admit, this poll is very limited. Joe freaking pointed out hush-puppies and cornbread as a side dish. Holy hell, that same chef makes the best freaking hush puppies, and jalapeno cornbread......that is in Sacramento, CA.

BMD, my buddy told me fried frog legs taste like chicken.....everybody always says that, so I am not that interested in trying them.

They sorta do. They are tasty. Try them.

popo85
07-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Onion rings, but lately salad trying to lose weight for my wife.

Bravo95
07-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Fries.