PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Italian Food/Meal

.Sean.
06-26-2012, 06:58 PM
This applies to both genuine Italian and Italian-American, because I love both :)

Disclaimer: when I say Italian in the remainder of this thread, I'm referring to both genuine Italian and Italian-American.

I'm a huge fan of Italian food. I'm 25% Italian (maybe a little more from my dads side - he's everything), but I grew up with my Italian family and grew an extreme fondness for the food.

My personal favorite meal and my best meal is Sunday Gravy - an extremely hearty tomato sauce flavored mostly by the meats that are cooked in the sauce. I usually use Beef/Pork/Veal meatballs, sweet italian sausage, and pork neck bones as my meats. Thats just my personal preference. If anyone wants a good recipe I'll share one (but I wont give all my secrets :)). I believe Yagyu posted a really good one a while back also. The meats should be served separately from the pasta, but sometimes I cant resist, its just such a good combination.

Another favorite of mine is Pasta Carbonara (I usually use Rigatoni - Orecchiette and Rigatoni are my favorite pastas. Linguini is third). Pasta Carbonara is pasta that is cooked al dente (all pasta should always be cooked al dente IMO) and then tossed in a skillet with pancetta (after removing from direct heat) with with a mixture of eggs, pecorino romano, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley to form a sort of "cream" sauce although no cream should be used. Its a very easy meal to make.

Any sort of parmigiana dinner (Veal/Chicken/Sausage) or sandwich is good also, but usually thats just an easy scrap together meal made with leftover sauce, some fresh mozz, and cook up a little pasta. Easy to make.

Baked Ziti (with sausage!) and Lasagna (my grandmas :)) are favorites of mine also.

Cub_StuckinSTL
06-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Too many to name. My g/f comes from Italian heritage and cooks all the time

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Lasagne

/thread

GGGGG-Men
06-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Damn, so tough to narrow down. Plus it's so drastically different....northern Italian, southern, Sicily....my step-dad is 100% Italian and a chef and opened me up to some bad *** dishes.

As far as basic Americanized Italian, my classic favorite is baked Ziti (btw after leaving NY I've found its incredibly hard to find Ziti pasta anywhere).

Otherwise, I think a seafood (mussels, clams, etc.) Fra Diavolo.

CityofTreez
06-26-2012, 07:41 PM
So hard to name only one.

Breakfast: Cold Ice cream with espresso poured over it.
Lunch: Pesto Pep pizza
Dinner: Chicken Parmesean, but I went to NY recently and had eggplant parmesean. It was unbelievable.
Dessert: Pistachio Cannoli

My favorite spaghetti sauce is Vodka Sauce. That stuff is like crack!

GGGGG-Men
06-26-2012, 07:42 PM
or pizza. Yeah....def pizza. But not some ****** takeout nonsense. Talking REAL pizza.

Like 90 year old man, off the boat from Italy with a brick oven in his restaurant and makes his own mozzarella and sauce from scratch type of pizza.

These things do not exist in SoCal. :sigh:

BroadwayJoe
06-26-2012, 07:42 PM
-chicken/veal parm
-beef carpaccio
-beef/steak tartare
-anything with pesto
-bombolotti with sausage ragu, fresh moozarell, parmiagiano-reggiano, basil and hot peppers
-tuna steak nicoise
-a good antipasto plate with quality cured meats, marinated veggies and well-aged cheese
-caprese salad (basically anything that combines fresh moozarell, heirloom tomatoes, basil, EVOO and balsamic)
-sausage w/ peppers n' onions
-fettuccine bolognese (w/ a trio of veal, beef and pork to make up the bolognese sauce)
-the ravioli 2nd course from mine and lolo's wedding... it was unreal. crispy prisciutto, basil, ricotta and parmiggiano-reggiano raviolis with a pesto sauce and toasted pine nuts
-the caprese brsuchetta from noodles panini in las olas (ft. lauderdale)... a huge half-loaf of crispy italian bread smothered with melted fresh moozarell and about 5 lbs. of sauteed, diced tomatoes with chopped basil
-a good meatball (veal, pork, beef combo) with a ladel-full of red sauce and a wedge of fresh moozarell
-pesto shrimp fettuccine with crispy prosciutto
-penne ala vodka with pancetta and peas
-black spaghetti with rock shrimp and spicy sopressata from babbo
-risotto with black truffles, porcini mushrooms and asparagus

GGGGG-Men
06-26-2012, 07:43 PM
So hard to name only one.

Breakfast: Cold Ice cream with espresso poured over it.
Lunch: Pesto Pep pizza
Dinner: Chicken Parmesean, but I went to NY recently and had eggplant parmesean. It was unbelievable.
Dessert: Pistachio Cannoli

My favorite spaghetti sauce is Vodka Sauce. That stuff is like crack!

oh man I forgot about vodka sauce!! damn. Love Eggplant Parm too.....

.Sean.
06-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Damn, so tough to narrow down. Plus it's so drastically different....northern Italian, southern, Sicily....my step-dad is 100% Italian and a chef and opened me up to some bad *** dishes.

As far as basic Americanized Italian, my classic favorite is baked Ziti (btw after leaving NY I've found its incredibly hard to find Ziti pasta anywhere).

Otherwise, I think a seafood (mussels, clams, etc.) Fra Diavolo.

I don't ever want to leave the Tri-State area (I guess you can include eastern PA).

Its so hard to find good italian food outside of this area. Most big cities are decent (I found a great spot in Boston), but the suburbs of the cities are just as terrible as the rest of the country. Plus, its tough to get quality ingredients used for italian cooking in these areas.

GGGGG-Men
06-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't ever want to leave the Tri-State area (I guess you can include eastern PA).

Its so hard to find good italian food outside of this area. Most big cities are decent (I found a great spot in Boston), but the suburbs of the cities are just as terrible as the rest of the country. Plus, its tough to get quality ingredients used for italian cooking in these areas.

Yeah its tough. L.A. isn't so bad since the #1 thing to do here is go out to eat, but there's just nothing that compares to a trip down Mott St.....or anywhere in NYC for that matter.

And pizza is worthless out here. One good spot, but its in Beverly Hills and over $20 for a pie....oh and nobody knows what you mean by "pie".

BUT...the trade off is that the Mexican food in LA and SD is just amazing. Traded pizza for fish tacos.

.Sean.
06-26-2012, 07:48 PM
-chicken/veal parm
-beef carpaccio
-beef/steak tartare
-anything with pesto
-bombolotti with sausage ragu, fresh moozarell, parmiagiano-reggiano, basil and hot peppers
-tuna steak nicoise
-a good antipasto plate with quality cured meats, marinated veggies and well-aged cheese
-caprese salad (basically anything that combines fresh moozarell, heirloom tomatoes, basil, EVOO and balsamic)
-fettuccine bolognese (w/ a trio of veal, beef and pork to make up the bolognese sauce)
-the ravioli 2nd course from mine and lolo's wedding... it was unreal. crispy prisciutto, basil, ricotta and parmiggiano-reggiano raviolis with a pesto sauce and toasted pine nuts
-the caprese brsuchetta from noodles panini in las olas (ft. lauderdale)... a huge half-loaf of crispy italian bread smothered with melted fresh moozarell and about 5 lbs. of sauteed, diced tomatoes with chopped basil
-a good meatball (veal, pork, beef combo) with a ladel-full of red sauce and a wedge of fresh moozarell

Why don't you just name everything :D

lol I love how you spell moozarell.. thats how I say it (well usually just mooz), but I never type it like that

As for the Ravioli course from your wedding... that sounds PHENOMENAL. I'm honestly not the biggest fan of parmiggiano reggiano - I MUCH prefer pecorino romano - but thats something I might try to make on my own one time just because it intrigues me that much.

BroadwayJoe
06-26-2012, 07:49 PM

ain't that the trufff.

luckily, there are so many NY/NJ transplants in south florida, we get a pretty solid array of authentic italian cuisine, instead of your standard place with bland red sauce, overcooked pasta and cheddar cheese instead of moozarell.

CityofTreez
06-26-2012, 07:51 PM
-chicken/veal parm
-beef carpaccio
-beef/steak tartare
-anything with pesto
-tuna steak nicoise

Wow, I've had a white asparagus risotto before, but never w/ black truffles and porcini mushrooms. That's not even fair.

GGGGG-Men
06-26-2012, 07:52 PM

lol I love how you spell moozarell.. thats how I say it (well usually just mooz), but I never type it like that

As for the Ravioli course from your wedding... that sounds PHENOMENAL. I'm honestly not the biggest fan of parmiggiano reggiano - I MUCH prefer pecorino romano - but thats something I might try to make on my own one time just because it intrigues me that much.

:laugh2: I love Brooklynized Italian:

Moozarell
Gabbagol
Rigot
Bruchet

My Italian step-grandpa used to get so pissed at anyone who said it like that. Then you'd get an hour lecture on Italian dialect haha "the vowels at the end are what makes it Italian!!!"

BroadwayJoe
06-26-2012, 07:52 PM

when it comes to food, i can never just name a few things... and italian food is one of my favorite regional cuisines, after cajun/creole/soul food and vietnamese/thai.

the ravioli dish shouldn't be that hard to make... all you need to do is bake or pan fry the prosciutto til it's crispy, then make the raviolis with the pig, cheese and chopped basil. once that's done, you pan sautee it and throw on the pesto and toasted nuts.

BroadwayJoe
06-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Wow, I've had a white asparagus risotto before, but never w/ black truffles and porcini mushrooms. That's not even fair.

there's a place in south beach that has that dish... i saw it on the menu and didn't even bother to look at anything else.

.Sean.
06-26-2012, 07:56 PM
the ravioli dish shouldn't be that hard to make... all you need to do is bake or pan fry the prosciutto til it's crispy, then make the raviolis with the pig, cheese and chopped basil. once that's done, you pan sautee it and throw on the pesto and toasted nuts.

Well I dont have access to a kitchen right now... just a charcoal grill outside in my parking lot, a cast iron pan, a stock pot, a sauce pot, and an induction hot plate. So I do what I can. Thats what I meant by 'try' lol

BroadwayJoe
06-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Well I dont have access to a kitchen right now... just a charcoal grill outside in my parking lot, a cast iron pan, a stock pot, a sauce pot, and an induction hot plate. So I do what I can. Thats what I meant by 'try' lol

use the grill as a de facto gas stove and just pan sautee on that!

.Sean.
06-26-2012, 08:01 PM
:laugh2: I love Brooklynized Italian:

Moozarell
Gabbagol
Rigot
Bruchet

My Italian step-grandpa used to get so pissed at anyone who said it like that. Then you'd get an hour lecture on Italian dialect haha "the vowels at the end are what makes it Italian!!!"

Yea we don't have anyone left in my family directly from italy so we get away with it haha. Sometimes my grandpa tries to correct us, but he'll still use it himself.

Proshoot
Pasta Fazool
Manigaut

HOWE do i do it
06-26-2012, 08:04 PM
lasagna. all day.

my mom isnt even italian, and here lasagna kills it. competes with some of my friends parents / grandparents who are from italy.

ESaady
06-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Italian food is easily my favorite type of food. I went to visit my mom's family in Italy a few years ago and I swore I was in heaven. I also noticed they drink wine with every meal haha. Went to a restaurant in Rome and it was the most delicious seafood I've ever had. It's hard to narrow it down to just one food/meal, but I seriously love all Italian food.

GGGGG-Men
06-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Yea we don't have anyone left in my family directly from italy so we get away with it haha. Sometimes my grandpa tries to correct us, but he'll still use it himself.

Proshoot
Pasta Fazool
Manigaut

Oh man...manicotti. Forgot about that. That might be up there in favorites.

Vinny642
06-27-2012, 01:41 AM
I love lasagna, baked ziti, pizza, regular tomato sauce and pasta, also stuffed shells, chicken parmigiana, and also manicotti <3

metsbulls1025
06-27-2012, 02:28 AM
Spaghetti Vongole

• 1kg small clams,
scrubbed clean
• a small bunch of fresh
flat-leaf parsley
• 4 cloves of garlic
• 10 cherry tomatoes
• 250ml white wine
• 400g dried spaghetti
• sea salt and freshly ground
black pepper
• extra virgin olive oil
• 1–2 dried chillies

todu82
06-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Lasagna's my favorite Italian meal and one of my favorite meals overall.

dbroncos78087
06-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Either my great-aunt's lasagna or my mom's chicken parmesean. I couldn't tell you which, unfortunately my great-aunt is not alive any more but her recipe (albeit imperfect) still lives on.

Ian.
06-27-2012, 06:51 AM
I actually hate marinara sauce. I can handle it if its in lasagna because there's usually enough cheese, meat and noodles.

I do love anything with Alfredo.

Pinstripe pride
06-27-2012, 08:31 AM
veal parm

blueman2424
06-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Assuming American pizza doesn't count, I'm gonna go with baked ziti. Plain, simple, sauce-cheese-and-pasta baked ziti.

northsider
06-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Shrimps and Scallops with a alfredo sauce.

and

Stuffed Manicottis

Frozenred
06-27-2012, 10:10 AM
My favorite is Penne a la Vodka. I'm not really a huge fan of Italian food.

northsider
06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Oh and Vodka sauce is far and away my fav. I could eat that on everything.

The Schmooze
06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
All-time favorite must be the chicken parm from Carmine's in NYC

BroadwayJoe
06-27-2012, 10:51 AM
All-time favorite must be the chicken parm from Carmine's in NYC

:drool:

you ever have their rigatoni with sausage and broccoli? that **** is meaty, saucy, garlicky goodness in a bowl.

Zaunnie
06-27-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm not that picky, so as long as its got a good amount of ground beef that'll just melt in your mouth, I'm happy.

The Schmooze
06-27-2012, 10:54 AM
:drool:

you ever have their rigatoni with sausage and broccoli? that **** is meaty, saucy, garlicky goodness in a bowl.

Have not, I'm too hooked on their sauce and the chicken parm that is the size of a throw rug haha :D

I will definitely give it a try though next time I'm there, b/c I'm a big fan of rigatoni with sausage n broccoli. I appreciate the recommendation!

Sadds The Gr8
06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
The basic pastä, piizza, or lasagna

Giannis94
06-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Some homeade tortellini topped with a panchetta white cream sauce. Its amazing.

BroadwayJoe
06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Have not, I'm too hooked on their sauce and the chicken parm that is the size of a throw rug haha :D

I will definitely give it a try though next time I'm there, b/c I'm a big fan of rigatoni with sausage n broccoli. I appreciate the recommendation!

yeah, one thing i miss about living up norfff is the authentic family-style italian restaurants. there's maybe 1-2 in south florida that are worth a damn.

CityofTreez
06-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Also, I'm not the biggest fan of Polenta, but the Italians tend to do it right. When I was recently in Little Italy in NYC I had the Veal oso buco with Polenta topped with gravy.

I laughed when I realized they named their marinera sauce "gravy".

desertrat218
06-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Pizza easily tops the list for me. I also like lasagna and veal or chicken parmesan. I'm not a fan of pasta though I'll eat it once in a while.

rhino17
06-27-2012, 01:32 PM
A tie between my mom's pizza, cheeseballs, stuffed squid, and wedding soup. All family recipes made from scratch.

The Schmooze
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM
yeah, one thing i miss about living up norfff is the authentic family-style italian restaurants. there's maybe 1-2 in south florida that are worth a damn.

I can't imagine living down South and not having access to quality Italian food, especially pizza. You must be in hell!

BUT you have access to great southern BBQ(and hotter, tanner women to gawk at), so there's a decent trade-off :D

Hawkeye15
06-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Lasagne

/thread

If I had to pick one, this is it.

HaruSoul
06-27-2012, 03:48 PM

I live in the NYC suburbs, if you're from the area you might have heard of Hackensack or Paramus, my town borders both. There are plenty of good Italian places around here.

BrianWestKins
06-27-2012, 04:24 PM
all of it

.Sean.
06-27-2012, 11:14 PM
I live in the NYC suburbs, if you're from the area you might have heard of Hackensack or Paramus, my town borders both. There are plenty of good Italian places around here.

lol

I meant the suburbs of OTHER cities have terrible italian. I didn't mean the suburbs of NYC.

Yea I'm well aware of Hackensack and Paramus, and there is plenty of good italian in NJ.

If anyone is ever in Jersey City for lunch, I would HIGHLY recommend stopping by Milano's Italian Deli. The line will seem long but move quick and thats the time you want to be there because the food is always extremely fresh and hot. I recommend the chicken parm sandwich and a side order of whatever pasta they're serving that day. Or actually anything, its all good

Twinke Masta
06-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Chicken Parm with some good Tiramisu + coffee afterwards and i'm in heaven

.Sean.
06-28-2012, 05:37 PM
High quality italian sausage from a butcher is hard to beat

GGGGG-Men
06-28-2012, 05:55 PM
High quality italian sausage from a butcher is hard to beat

I used to live in Howard Beach, Queens (land of the Gottis and mafia activity). Some of the best Italian markets I've ever been too. AND the best pizza in NYC at La Villa (owned by one of the Gotti brothers). As good as Lombardi's or better.

GGGGG-Men
06-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Chicken Parm with some good Tiramisu + coffee afterwards and i'm in heaven

My Italian step-fam finished every meal with some espresso with a little Sambuca.

06-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Lasagna by far

northsider
06-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Nothing beats a good meat ball though am I right???

Just some angel hair, your fav. sauce, and meatballs, covered in parmesan.

I am blessed to grow up eating tons of Italian food but, to this day I enjoy nothing more then a typical pasta night. Full on appetizers and wine before dinner actually is served.

Rush
07-02-2012, 01:57 AM
I love me some Lasanga, Manicotti, Ziti, Musticolli with tomato sauce and baked cheese.

.Sean.
07-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Nothing beats a good meat ball though am I right???

Just some angel hair, your fav. sauce, and meatballs, covered in pecorino romano

1) A good meatball is hard to come by

2) Fixed. Pecorino Romano > Parmigiano Reggiano > "Parmesan"

.Sean.
07-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Also, to those of you who make sunday gravy or any kind of sauce where you use meat to flavor the sauce:

I highly recommend veal stew meat. First time I used it and its my favorite version so far. Plus, It's so tender and delicious to eat anyway.

chicagocubsfan
07-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Linguini w/clams and white clam sauce
Eggplant or Chicken Parm
Italian Combo(beef and sausage sandwiches)
Arancini(fried rice balls)
Love Italian food. Much better than the Polish food I grew up with imo.

northsider
07-05-2012, 10:08 PM
1) A good meatball is hard to come by

2) Fixed. Pecorino Romano > Parmigiano Reggiano > "Parmesan"

Prob. should've been more specific but, yep that's what I use. I have like 2 blocks of it that I use all the time and especially when I am making a Caesar with grilled chicken.

koldjerky
07-06-2012, 11:12 AM

This is true. There are definitely some great Italian restaurants in the Lehigh Valley as well. When I was down in FL I ate at a couple places and even the best doesn't compare to the worst in the LHV.

I love me some fettucini alfredo. Mussells marinara is also devine.

northsider
07-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Going to have to get my ma's shrimps and scallops recipe. It's so good and I am fairly certain not hard to make at all.

.Sean.
07-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Theres nothing thats really hard to make to be completely honest if you have some patience and a decent basis of knowledge

TheRuckus
07-06-2012, 11:46 AM
This thread made me so hungry. And homesick. :laugh2:

There are actually a couple of Italian groceries here in Pittsburgh where I can get good ingredients, but I've yet to find a restaurant that comes anywhere close to the standard I insist upon. People around here (outside the small Italian immigrant population) are content with garbage like Olive Garden and Buca di Beppo.

There used to be a restaurant near my hometown that served the biggest portions I've ever seen, dirt cheap, and it was ****ing phenomenal. Goddamned travesty that it closed.

.Sean.
07-06-2012, 11:48 AM
I made sunday gravy yesterday. Gonna be eating this for the next couple days

This veal is phenomenal. Meatballs are good. Sausage is very mediocre. Used that premio stuff, usually go to the butcher

Sauce is real good though.

TheRuckus
07-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Also I'm surprised nobody has mentioned braciole yet.

northsider
07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Theres nothing thats really hard to make to be completely honest if you have some patience and a decent basis of knowledge

Ever since I found out how easy Vodka sauce was to make I literally haven't turned back.

I must say Newman's makes some of the best store bought sauces out there IMO. If you haven't tried it I suggest you do. I can no longer ever find his Vodka sauce but, it was extremely good.

northsider
07-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Now this one ought to get a few of you.

Not my fav. but, something that dearly reminds me of home and my sisters was scrapel's which are actually called crespelle. Pretty much the simplest of things but, it was a staple for us when we got sick as kids.

Since I've found out allot of people call it different things here is a photo.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-3Pjd6qLNtAI/Ry40YZghDTI/AAAAAAAAAoo/jivfngFIq-I/P1010138.JPG

It's that and some chicken broth with some "Pecorino Romano" (for you sean) lol

Ramon Nivar
07-06-2012, 12:31 PM
The meatballs my Grandma makes. The way it melts as soon as it touches your tongue is so amazing. Outside of the occasional correct attempt by me or my dad I have never had anything close.

Driven
07-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Baked Ziti, without meat, and a simple side salad with an oil based dressing or vinegrette.

popo85
07-11-2012, 12:28 AM
fettucini alfredo and cheesy lasagna