PDA

View Full Version : Devils sign Anton Volchenkov to 6 year deal

NJDEVS24
07-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Yes, this is what we needed, a very good defensemen, also replaces Paul Martin, I actually feel he is better than Martin.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/

BossMagglio
07-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Great signing. I wanted Volcehnkov more than I wanted to re-sign Martin. I love Anton's game. So pumped.

Do0msday
07-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I wanted Martin more, more for the fact that we know what we'd get from him and he's been here a little bit ... but this is an absolutely terrific replacement, especially for the price. We get him a year longer than Martin's new contract and it comes along to a somewhat smaller yearly salary too.

Volchenov's game fits the Devil's system very well. It'd be nice if we could get a nice 2-way defenseman, but this is about as good as we could have hoped for. I really can't think of another guy on the market that we could have signed to replace PM at this price.

BossMagglio
07-01-2010, 05:28 PM
I wanted Martin more, more for the fact that we know what we'd get from him and he's been here a little bit ... but this is an absolutely terrific replacement, especially for the price. We get him a year longer than Martin's new contract and it comes along to a somewhat smaller yearly salary too.

Volchenov's game fits the Devil's system very well. It'd be nice if we could get a nice 2-way defenseman, but this is about as good as we could have hoped for. I really can't think of another guy on the market that we could have signed to replace PM at this price.

Who are your top targets on D now via trade? I'm hoping for Burns, Kaberle or Bieksa. I think all could be had at the right price.

Hopefully we can find a way to dump that Rolston contract off on someone else.

Do0msday
07-01-2010, 08:01 PM
I'd love Kaberle, but he'll be too expensive. Bieksa wouldn't be too bad, but he did have a down year from the 1 before. I think Lou is going to get someone from free agency. I think some guys that are still available who have a little offense to them (though not as much as some of the big 2 way guys) are Carlo Colaiacovo and Marc-Andre Bergeron. Not sure if they're signed or what yet, but I think they're free agents.

I'd love if we could somehow keep Kovalchuk, since I think he'd do well given an entire season here, but it's looking less and less likely. 1 winger who I think is available, who I've liked for a while, is Alexander Frolov.

Ziggy82789
07-01-2010, 09:34 PM
This was HUGE. Getting Volchenkov was a really big signing. He brings that size and strength that has been missing since Stevens and Dano retired. Players need to fear our Defense and hopefully signing him and tallinder will do this. "Volcheckov" :)

NJDEVS24
07-01-2010, 09:39 PM

I think we needed a change, we needed a different look and we certainly got that with Tallinder and Volchenkov, and Lou is not done. A veteran defensemen will almost certainly be moved. Matt Corrente is in the plans for next year, Alex Urbom is as well, if he makes the team, you have to assume Andy Greene is too, that's 5 defensemen right there. We still might re-sign Fraser and then we'll be a huge defensive team, but I think either Salvador or White will be moved. This is so far a great offseason for us, let's keep it going.

Do0msday
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I think we needed a change, we needed a different look and we certainly got that with Tallinder and Volchenkov, and Lou is not done. A veteran defensemen will almost certainly be moved. Matt Corrente is in the plans for next year, Alex Urbom is as well, if he makes the team, you have to assume Andy Greene is too, that's 5 defensemen right there. We still might re-sign Fraser and then we'll be a huge defensive team, but I think either Salvador or White will be moved. This is so far a great offseason for us, let's keep it going.

I'd still like a sniper though. If we can find a guy to come in, who could mesh with the offense, I think we could really have a solid team ... though I really think Rolston needs to go. He's taking up cap space and a roster spot.

BossMagglio
07-01-2010, 11:52 PM

Agreed. I love that our defense is huge now. That's what you need in the playoffs. The big, physical teams that win the battles in front of the net and in the corners are the teams that move on. They still need to add a guy that can move the puck though. Lou's not done.

Do0msday
07-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Agreed. I love that our defense is huge now. That's what you need in the playoffs. The big, physical teams that win the battles in front of the net and in the corners are the teams that move on. They still need to add a guy that can move the puck though. Lou's not done.

It's not just that they've got good size, it's also the fact that they realize their job and don't try to do too much. Some guys are alright defensively, but want to make an impact offensively, or want to make too big of a hit and miss the guy...or they screw up with the puck handling and give it away.

Volchenkov is the type who will focus on defense. The guy is a shot blocking machine. I'm not saying our defensemen were soft last season, but this guy will add excitement and stability to our defense. He's just a perfect fit for this team. I'll miss Paul Martin a ton, but this move just seems great the more I look at it. I think this guy was born to play Devils hockey...