PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan and Devils go their separate ways

friarfan07
10-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Brendan Shanahan's return to the New Jersey Devils has come to an end.

The veteran forward and the National Hockey League team announced Thursday that they have mutually parted ways.

The 40-year-old said that the 2009-10 Devils weren't "a suitable fit."

"I have decided not to continue with the New Jersey Devils for my 22nd NHL season," Shanahan said. "When I signed this past summer, (Devils president) Lou Lamoriello, (coach) Jacques Lemaire and I agreed that if we were unable to find a suitable fit in which I would be able to compete and contribute at the level I expect from myself, then I would simply step aside."

The statement said that Shanahan will use the next few weeks to decide on his future plans. Shanahan has scored 656 goals and 698 assists in 1,524 games in the NHL.

-http://www.canada.com/Shanahan+Devils+their+separate+ways/2059399/story.html#

annoying in that he was supposed to fill a need. so not only did he evidently fail in doing so, but now we're clearly in need of another vet who could score. sundin would have been a better option IMO.

Jersey Mike
10-03-2009, 12:17 AM
-http://www.canada.com/Shanahan+Devils+their+separate+ways/2059399/story.html#

annoying in that he was supposed to fill a need. so not only did he evidently fail in doing so, but now we're clearly in need of another vet who could score. sundin would have been a better option IMO.

I agree it sucks friar...but I always feel it is better to find out now than well into the season...get this out of the way early...I had high hopes with him skating with the first line that maybe they were gonna do something with him...oh well, I guess not...shanny was a good player and will be missed!!!

DevsYanksJets
10-03-2009, 04:07 PM
This makes the Niedermeyer signing look worse in my opinion, we let go of Shanny who can still put the puck in the net and set guys up plays a gritty game is a good leader to test youth so the youth players would have another open spot to be put in. So why did we sign Rob? We could've done the same thing with his spot because at this point we are not cup contenders anyway.

friarfan07
10-04-2009, 01:36 PM
^ ya. or instead of getting shanny or rob, we could have pursued one viable scorer. we've had a lack since gomez left.

DevsYanksJets
10-04-2009, 10:52 PM
^ Yeap now we got rid of a guy with great leadership and could really help newcomers and guys like Clarkson with his gritty play to make room for a young foward. Fair enough but Neid's provides LESS for the team and takes ANOTHER spot from a young foward just totally stupid.

Jersey Mike
10-05-2009, 08:18 AM
my jury is still out on this one...I'm gonna wait and reserve judgement! Shanny was always in shape for a guy his age especially...but neids was working out with a Jr. team and was VERY in shape as per lemaire...we'll see if shanny signs somewhere else and lights it up (hopefully not with the rangers...maybe somewhere out west) and if neids can play gritty and physical as our system demands...I was actually more upset about the davison release on waivers than this...I feel that we needed a physical defenseman...we will soon enough see now that the season has started...

DevsYanksJets
10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Shanny's not going anywhere especially not the Rangers I'm pretty sure they made it perfectly clear they didn't want him anymore and he has to stay in the tri state area for his family if that I'm not sure if he would go as far as even Pitt. But I can't help but be disgusted at the Nieds signing logically we are NOT a cup contender but we do wanna see our young guys break out fair enough but if one took the older guy Shanny's spot what the hell is Niedermeyer doing for us? If anything less I would think and I'm hoping to see Mclean come up as coach after this season he's getting experience as the head of AHL and I think Lemaire is here to help groom the young guys, at least I hope thats the plan.

Jersey Mike
10-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Shanny's not going anywhere especially not the Rangers I'm pretty sure they made it perfectly clear they didn't want him anymore and he has to stay in the tri state area for his family if that I'm not sure if he would go as far as even Pitt. But I can't help but be disgusted at the Nieds signing logically we are NOT a cup contender but we do wanna see our young guys break out fair enough but if one took the older guy Shanny's spot what the hell is Niedermeyer doing for us? If anything less I would think and I'm hoping to see Mclean come up as coach after this season he's getting experience as the head of AHL and I think Lemaire is here to help groom the young guys, at least I hope thats the plan.

neids was good for a goal, huh??? I will say again, I'm gonna reserve judgement...maybe he does fit our system...we need a defenseman now that makes guys afraid to skate across the neutral zone with their head down...we haven't had that since the other neid was here or stevens...kinda why I liked davison...he was a head hunter...our system requires some fear factor...this as well as the neutral zone trap slows guys down a bit...beat them up physically and they are afraid to get beat up...hence, this is why I think neids is a good fit for a forward...he is physical and that is one thing anaheim was good at...they played physical hockey...we will see...

DevsYanksJets
10-07-2009, 12:57 AM
Yeah Anaheim was a Brian Burke team so naturally. And yes he was good for a goal a beauty at that but that hardly makes him a good signing especially not when they let Shanny go to make room for youth when Neids was pretty unnecessary honestly sadly I don't see us winning a cup this year. Neids was not that make or break move and I think if Shanahan was taking that spot Neidermeyer is too.

Jersey Mike
10-09-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm telling ya, I like neids in our system...he fits us pretty well, he can set up or be set up and he wins face offs...it is a matter of preference and I prefer him...I think the guy can still ball (puck)...I think that once they get to know each other a little more we will be decent...better than I expected with so little activity in the off season (or should I say incoming activity)!

I'll take that ugly S.O. win tonight and if you noticed, neids was around the puck a lot!!!

friarfan07
10-09-2009, 01:12 PM
scott get over here to play with your bro! lol :D but serious i think we could be a division contender with scott back. right now, i don't feel very well about our team versus philly/pitt/NYR.

Jersey Mike
10-09-2009, 03:32 PM
scott get over here to play with your bro! lol :D but serious i think we could be a division contender with scott back. right now, i don't feel very well about our team versus philly/pitt/NYR.

yeah, we are 1 or 2 hard hitting defensmen away from being a true contender...if we had a couple of guys like daneyko and stevens we would be money...

DevsYanksJets
10-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Ball(puck) :laugh: Thankyou Jersey Mike that had me cracking up and I like him so far but when I try to be as unbiased as possible I don't see us as a legitimate division or cup contender. So we let go of Shanahan to make room for one of the younger guys fair enough but then Rob is just taking the same spot Shanahan was. Like I was saying it didn't make or break us and thats one less spot that if Shanahan couldn't have I don't see how Rob does. But maybe we'll end up catching fire and making some moves at the trade deadline who knows.

friarfan07
10-09-2009, 05:27 PM
^ ya. we need a piece or two to be contenders in my mind at least. who knows tho; i'm certainly not giving up hope yet. but i know with nieds (scott) and arnott still here, i'd feel much better about our team.

DevsYanksJets
10-09-2009, 08:06 PM
^ If only :(